UN Sending Food to Ethiopia's Tigray Region

Pythagoras

Dec 24, 2020
Samos, Greece
The United Nations is presently pushing to send food to Tigray in the hope of quelling the recent starvation of the citizenry. Tigray, which is currently facing a massive rebellion seemingly not ending soon, received a request for both factions to halt into a cease-fire to allow for UN aid to feed the Ethiopian peoples. My inquiry starts at why the UN has decided to feed people to allow them just to be shot after a meal as soon as the aid is delivered? Who decides who gets what food? Are we at that rate fueling a rebellion or supporting the ruling faction? I understand the humanitarian justification, but in order to better resolve the conflict between the warring factions, shouldn't they have the famine as a reason to make peace? What is the point of feeding the people if it makes them a target for someone else? I understand the rules of ceasefire and that it would normally rule out war for the time being; however, as several things before have shown, not every intervention goes according to plan.

What do you think of foreign aid? How do you think it will affect the conflict? Should the UN get Involved like so? Do you agree or disagree with the relief as of the current status of the rebellion? What would justify it? Why?

Last edited:
Yes I do support the U.N. efforts in the region. This is why it was founded to prevent the sort of thing going on in Ethiopia now. Even if it means sending in U.N. troops to stop the slaughter.

Yes I do support the U.N. efforts in the region. This is why it was founded to prevent the sort of thing going on in Ethiopia now. Even if it means sending in U.N. troops to stop the slaughter.
We aren't sending troops though, just the food. Would you prefer a UN militarized response? If so to what extent? what side would be supported if any? Whos kids are we sending? Who's paying?

From what I have heard is UN soldiers help the slaughter.

We aren't sending troops though, just the food. Would you prefer a UN militarized response? If so to what extent? what side would be supported if any? Whos kids are we sending? Who's paying?
Military if there is a larger loss of life due to the war. Not to take sides but to stop the violence and get all sides s to the table and talk. Make sure all food and other aid is going to the right people regardless of which side there on. As far as who goes and how to pay ,its been done by the U.N. in the past and they have there system in place. The U.N. is not to dictate like a world government but be like a concerned neighbor and calm the situation and mediate.

Military if there is a larger loss of life due to the war. Not to take sides but to stop the violence and get all sides s to the table and talk. Make sure all food and other aid is going to the right people regardless of which side there on. As far as who goes and how to pay ,its been done by the U.N. in the past and they have there system in place. The U.N. is not to dictate like a world government but be like a concerned neighbor and calm the situation and mediate.
Out of further curiosity, how would a military response dedicated to protection bring the opposing parties to the table for negotiations? How would we ensure the aid gets to the people, and for how long do we persist? If negotiations fall through, do we stay?

Forum List

Back