Unanimous Decision: Mortgage borrowers win at Supreme Court

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Unanimous Decision: Mortgage borrowers win at Supreme Court

Home loan borrowers need only send a letter to their bank to rescind a contract when disclosure violations are at issue

By Daniel Goldstein
Published: Jan 13, 2015 5:36 p.m. ET

The U.S. Supreme Court handed a win to mortgage borrowers when they unanimously ruled a lender erred when it insisted that borrowers who opted to back out of a mortgage because of disclosure errors by the bank had to go to court to do so.

Instead, the Court said a mere letter to the bank was sufficient notice under the Truth in Lending Act so long as it was within the three-year window the Act allows.

“So long as the borrower notifies within three years after the transaction is consummated, his rescission is timely,” Justice Antonin Scalia wrote on behalf of the court. “The statute does not also require him to sue within three years,” Scalia added.​

So what was the reasoning behind the decision ?

Just curious.

I mean....this I am having a hard time understanding why they would take this to begin with.

Enlighten us...please.

Or explain why you posted this...if you would be so kind.

Just curious.

I mean....this I am having a hard time understanding why they would take this to begin with.

Enlighten us...please.

Your homework assignment this weekend is to study up on the case and especially Scalia's rant/opinion

there will be a class discussion followed by a test

Just curious.

Enlighten us...please.

Your homework assignment this weekend is to study up on the case and especially Scalia's rant/opinion

there will be a class discussion followed by a test

:beer:

Forum List

Back