Universe A-Z

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
I start this game so we could discover the Universe it will be better to have a picture and a little definition .

The universe (Latin: universus) is all of space and time and their contents, including planets, stars, galaxies, and all other forms of matter and energy. While the spatial size of the entire universe is unknown .

I start with Andromeda

1609425312323.png

Astronomers have long thought that the Andromeda Galaxy was 2-3 times the mass and size of the Milky Way, and that our own Galaxy would ultimately be engulfed by the bigger neighbor. New research now evens the score between the two galaxies.

Andromeda Galaxy is Roughly the Same Mass as Milky Way, Astronomers Say | Astronomy | Sci-News.com
http://cdn.sci-news.com/images/enlarge4/image_5731e-Andromeda-Galaxy.jpg

......humans really can't even begin to even imagine the size/etc of a galaxy much less the universe..it's all ''alien'' to us

I start this game so we could discover the Universe it will be better to have a picture and a little definition .

The universe (Latin: universus) is all of space and time and their contents, including planets, stars, galaxies, and all other forms of matter and energy. While the spatial size of the entire universe is unknown .

I start with Andromeda

View attachment 435412

Astronomers have long thought that the Andromeda Galaxy was 2-3 times the mass and size of the Milky Way, and that our own Galaxy would ultimately be engulfed by the bigger neighbor. New research now evens the score between the two galaxies.

Andromeda Galaxy is Roughly the Same Mass as Milky Way, Astronomers Say | Astronomy | Sci-News.com
Hope there is intelligent life there, as there does not seem to be that much intelligent life here, much of the time.

......humans really can't even begin to even imagine the size/etc of a galaxy much less the universe..it's all ''alien'' to us
Yes, we will never know everything about the universe and it is the most fascinathing for me this big universe that we are a part of.

Last edited:

I start with Andromeda

View attachment 435412

Hope there is intelligent life there, as there does not seem to be that much intelligent life here, much of the time.
True, a lot people don't paid attention too much to the universe the everyday life it is the only thing that count for a lot of them.

I will to the B the...

Big Bang

1609428740673.png

Timeline of the metric expansion of space, where space, including hypothetical non-observable portions of the universe, is represented at each time by the circular sections. On the left, the dramatic expansion occurs in the inflationary epoch; and at the center, the expansion accelerates (artist's concept; not to scale).

Yes, i will never know everything about the universe and it is the most fascinathing for me this big universe that we are a part of.
...I think the Voyager 2 going at 35,000 mph, launched 1977, and just passed out of our solar system in 2018 shows us how unimaginable the distances are
...SR71 goes about 2000 mph.....I can barely imagine that speed
..Voyager over ten times that

Speed, Light, Force ...
We are very small and vunérable in the universe...there were rumors of the end of the world in 2012 but we passed very close to the end .
The July 2012 Solar Super Storm is a major solar storm that occurred on July 23, 2012, a week before Earth crossed the region into which the storm spread. If Earth had been hit, the material damage would have been extremely serious, especially with regard to all electronic equipment.

HE0450-2958, Quasar

Observation data (Epoch J2000)
HE0450-2958
Quasar HE0450-2958.jpg
Quasar HE0450-2958 as imaged by the HST. The quasar is near the center of the image; no obvious host galaxy is seen. Near the top of the image is a strongly disturbed and star-forming galaxy. Near the quasar is a blob of gas that is apparently being ionized by the quasar radiation. The pointlike object on the lower right is a foreground star seen by chance in the field of view.
ConstellationCaelum
Right ascension04h 52m 30.0s[1]
Declination−29° 53′ 35″[1]
Redshift0.286041 ± 0.000093
(73867 ± 28 km/s[1])
Distance3 billion light-years (1 Gpc)[2]
TypeSy1[1]
Apparent magnitude (V)16.0[1]

Intergalactic

The space between stars is known as interstellar space, and so the space between galaxies is called intergalactic space. These are the vast empty spaces that sit between galaxies. For example, if you wanted to travel from the Milky Way to the Andromeda galaxy, you would need to cross 2.5 million light-years of intergalactic space.

Intergalactic space is as close as you can get to an absolute vacuum. There’s very little dust and debris, and scientists have calculated that there’s probably only one hydrogen atom per cubic meter. The density of material is higher near galaxies, and lower in the midpoint between galaxies.

Galaxies are connected by a rarefied plasma that is thought to posses a cosmic filamentary structure, which is slightly denser than the average density of the Universe. This material is known as the intergalactic medium, and it’s mostly made up of ionized hydrogen. Astronomers think that the intergalactic medium is about 10 to 100 times denser than the average density of the Universe.

Kurdah

Xi (ξ) Cepheus, Kurdah, is a star located on the neck or chest of the upside-down figure of the Ethiopian King.

The 13th century Persian astronomical writer Al Kazwini called this Al Kurhah, an Arabic word that the German astronomer Ideler (1766-1846) translated as a white spot, or blaze, in the face of a horse; but thinking this not a proper stellar name, suggested Al Kirdah, the Ape.
[Star Names, Their Lore and Meaning, Richard Hinckley Allen, 1889].

1610131821444.png

The NGC 2997 group is a group of galaxies about 24.8 million light-years from Earth containing NGC 2997 as a member. It is a group in the Local Supercluster along with the Local Group.

1610305576411.png

Forum List

Back