US expresses readiness to resume negotiations with Russia on the START Treaty

Ringo

Gold Member
Jun 14, 2021
The White House says the US is ready to resume negotiations with Russia on the START Treaty(Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty)

Pranay Waddy, special assistant to the American president and senior director of the White House National Security Council on non-proliferation issues, has spoken out about the resumption of negotiations with Russia on the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START). This is reported by RIA Novosti.

According to him, Washington is ready to discuss the treaty with Moscow. “With all the diplomatic opportunities we have, we repeat the appeal [to resume negotiations on the START Treaty],” he said.

On February 21, 2023, Vladimir Putin said in his address to the Federal Assembly that Russia's participation in the treaty was suspended because of the hostile course of the United States and Western countries' involvement in the conflict in Ukraine and their desire to inflict a “strategic defeat” on Russia. He also said that the United States was preparing to test nuclear weapons and was developing new types of nuclear warheads.
I think it is possible to negotiate. Reasonable conditions for the start of negotiations are:
1) lifting all sanctions against Russia
2) cessation of supplies of arms, ammunition and intelligence to the Kiev gang
3) cessation of flights of reconnaissance planes and UAVs over the Black Sea
4) condemnation of the 2014 coup in Kiev, the unleashing of civil war and terrorist attacks by the Kiev gang.
5) removal of nuclear weapons to the territory of their countries
6) Recognize Russia's borders in accordance with the Russian constitution
7) Recognize NATO expansion as illegal and kick out Finland, the Baltics, Poland, Romania and others who joined after 1991.

Although, in a Rules Based World™, any contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on.
And, imho, not a single word of the West can be trusted, even if it is a treaty signed in blood. They have completely, convincingly and definitively proved their lack of credibility and mendacity.

Three knowledgeable Reuters sources said that Russia could arm the Houthis if the United States allows Ukraine to launch long-range strikes with Western weapons. According to the agency's interlocutors, Russia may supply the Houthis with anti-ship missiles.
Earlier it became known that Britain is trying to convince the US to approve attacks with Storm Shadow missiles deep into Russian territory. For accurate strikes these missiles need a classified American system of mapping data. At talks on Sept. 13, U.S. President Joe Biden and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer discussed the Storm Shadow authorization.
No decision was announced at the end of the meeting. Starmer said discussions would continue at the UN General Assembly with a “wider range of participants.”
Reuters sources say Russia may retaliate by helping the Houthis, who plan to attack U.S. and British warships. According to the agency's interlocutors, Iran is mediating secret talks on the subject, but Moscow has not yet made a final decision. Reuters has not been able to get comments from either Iran's mission to the UN or the Russian Defense Ministry.
A senior U.S. official declined to name specific systems that could be supplied to the Houthis, but said Russia was indeed discussing such a possibility. He called such a development “extremely worrisome.”

Three knowledgeable Reuters sources said that Russia could arm the Houthis if the United States allows Ukraine to launch long-range strikes with Western weapons. According to the agency's interlocutors, Russia may supply the Houthis with anti-ship missiles.
Earlier it became known that Britain is trying to convince the US to approve attacks with Storm Shadow missiles deep into Russian territory. For accurate strikes these missiles need a classified American system of mapping data. At talks on Sept. 13, U.S. President Joe Biden and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer discussed the Storm Shadow authorization.
No decision was announced at the end of the meeting. Starmer said discussions would continue at the UN General Assembly with a “wider range of participants.”
Reuters sources say Russia may retaliate by helping the Houthis, who plan to attack U.S. and British warships. According to the agency's interlocutors, Iran is mediating secret talks on the subject, but Moscow has not yet made a final decision. Reuters has not been able to get comments from either Iran's mission to the UN or the Russian Defense Ministry.
A senior U.S. official declined to name specific systems that could be supplied to the Houthis, but said Russia was indeed discussing such a possibility. He called such a development “extremely worrisome.”
The UK Government are a disgrace on foreign policy, in fact they don't have one just what they are ordered to do by the US they are so far up Bidens arse it's unreal, as for giving the Houthis anti ship missiles if they green light Storm shadow i think it will be worse, probably direct attacks on NATO assets because make no mistake those missiles would be a NATO attack.

The White House says the US is ready to resume negotiations with Russia on the START Treaty(Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty)

This is one of the most weak and desperate statements I think I have ever heard given from the White House.

So let me get this straight, the White House, speaking for the President is stating they want to resume the START treaty negotiations.

During a conflict that one of the nations is involved in.
When the President in office at the time is a lame duck and could never see the negotiations through to the end.
With absolutely no idea how the negotiations will go with whoever is the next President.

Sorry, this is so laughably bad, I now actually do have to worry about the mental acuity of the President if he decided this was a good statement to make. It's like a metal shop where the owner decides that he has worked long enough and decides to retire at the end of the year. And suddenly, up pops the Union who is demanding they renegotiate the wages for the employees and wants to start mediation.

Myself, if I was the plant owner I would simply shrug, throw up my hands, and say "OK, fine. I'm retiring a bit early then. Everybody go home, pick up your final checks on Friday."

Anybody with a lick of common sense would know that absolutely nothing will come of this. Because treaties like this typically take from 2-4+ years from initial meetings and final ratification. If President Biden had announced something like this at the start of his term, that would have been just great. But announcing it at the end when he is already on his way out, this is just a completely confusing move. And I'm sure Putin is laughing his ass off because it makes the President look stupid.

Forum List

Back