US Springfield M1863 Type II Rifled Musket

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I came across this US Springfield M1863 Type II Rifled Musket today....1864 manufactured (dated on barrel and lock)....Still has visible cartouches/inspection's marks. It has a surprisingly good bore. It's nice and solid so I'll be shooting this one.
I dug around in my footlocker-o-bayonets and even found a US marked bayonet with about the same patina. ;)

2 001 (2).JPG

2 004 (2).JPG

The U.S Model 1863 Type II, also known as the Model 1864, was the U.S. Army's last regulation muzzle-loader. Over 250,000 rifle-muskets of this pattern were completed at Springfield Armory, and these long arms saw extensive use in the last year of the Civil War. The Type II is nearly identical to the Model 1863 Type I, but saw a return to band springs rather than screws as a means to secure barrel bands. The barrel bands themselves were solid rather than split, as in the Type I. In addition, a single-leaf rear sight replaced the earlier two-leaf sight, and some parts which had been blued on the Type I were without finish on the newer design. -NRA Museum

Forum List

Back