USA does mostly use the metric system

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Food measurements on labels , camera lenses Soda in liters , medication is all the metric system in the USA

We don’t use it for temperature ( F) and for distance we use things like feet and miles

All US customary units are defined by their metric equivalence ... so in one sense, the US uses metric for everything ...

The problem isn't the metric system itself ... it's the combination of metric and a decimalized currency ... In Europe, it's fairly easy to calculate the best deal, 500 grams at €10.00 is better than 250 grams at €7.50 ... most folks can do that in their head ...

The USA uses fractional measure and a decimalized currency ... near impossible to figure the best deal even with a handheld calculator ... 3 lbs, 2 oz at $6.00 "looks like" a better deal than 1 lbs 14 oz at $3.00 ... most folks would think they're getting 3 times the product for half the price ... ha ha ha ha ha ... the US system is specifically designed to increase profit margins ...

Also worth noting that all countries that use the metric system exclusively do so under penalty of law ... you'd get fined in England trying to sell 15 ells of rope for 4 guinea, 17 shilling and 8 pence ... whereas in the USA it's perfectly legal to sell apples by the peck ... as long as each peck is 8.81 liters ...

Food measurements on labels , camera lenses Soda in liters , medication is all the metric system in the USA

We don’t use it for temperature ( F) and for distance we use things like feet and miles
As long as they don't insist on using it for football (gridiron) I'll be happy.

Most Americans "think" in terms of inches, feet, yards and miles. They know what pounds, gallons and quarts are.

The know that a kilometer is less than a mile and they know that a liter is about a quart but otherwise they are mostly clueless on other metric measurements.

To switch to metric would be confusing to many Americans.

I was working on my Engineering degrees back when that dufus Jimmy Carter was trying to cram metric down our throats so I learned it. I can work comfortable in both metric and imperial but most Americans can't.

When shooting I tend to use meters more than yards. They taught us that in the Army at the training range. A meter is rougly ten percent long than a yard. A 100 meter target would be about 110 yds.

Forum List

Back