Use this thread for everything VR-tips advice recommendations

HaShev

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2009
Went through a night of hell getting a PC VR headset to work, because there is no real instruction or help for some of these brands.
So to save you from curling up in a ball ready to give up and return your headset, we will share experiences, tips, advice, troubleshooting, and recommendations.
1)update windows so you have the latest fixed drivers and best settings
2)windows mixed reality portal is in your windows app start, click that and it will upload all your necessary drivers before it starts and says your headset is connected.
My problem was my additional mixed reality drivers never fully loaded on initial launch set up so my usb wasn't recognizing my headset and nobody told me about connecting and pairing the hand held remotes, (will make your positioning spin sometimes upside down and make you sick and dizzy that's when you know your hand helds are not connected.)
after much troubleshooting I managed to restore my computer to an earlier day before the corruption of the drivers. Even restore was a hastle because in regular mode it says it can't but in safe mode it does restore.
Once the drivers were now properly downloaded and installed and my headset wire firmly installed into the headset, the USB wire was recognized and headset turned on.
Ok so now your headset is running, your remote works and everything is stable in the vr space, but the problem now is evwryrhing you open doesn't work or is 2d in a 3d viewing space.
Why is nothing toggling the 3d mode in your apps?
Even researching hours online, Nobody online bothers to tell you that in Steam the VR apps don't auto toggle into 3d vr mode like you assume they woyld oh no you need a Steamvr app and that acts to toggle all your vr apps into 3d vr, without it you just view 2d browsers of your open vr app.
A must app in Steam is then obviously SteamVR, I make a shortcut to it and open steam using that.
Why it isn't listed on top as a must download when searching VR I have no clue, but it never popped up in my VR search until the next day.
In fact it should be noted within any VR app they list details of. So now you won't go through the same painstaking troubleshooting many have gone through.
recommended;
Another VR app called DeoVR Video player is a must for being the only real
VR picture viewer and a solid VR video player with many unique features including 6dof , when you adjust your headset lens seperation it triggers a popup visual metering the sweet spot best seperation. You can slide something to far right or left on the screen to be closer center, and the usual other dials for bright contrast and color saturation.
Tip; go to settings to find & set your remote preferences if you need fast forward triggers etc.

In Windows store, (any vr apps for windows pc there open up as vr), one great app for replacing the lack of Youtubevr, is AmazeVR, it's a little like NextVR was before the buy out from Apple made them Disappear, for what reason I have no idea, but AmazeVR is filling the void.
PIN AMAZEVR to your taskbar because pined to windows start does not show a pictured thumb nor stay listed (might be my own issue through my speed minimalistic settings).

Skybox vr player is also great in standalone headsets, but can't get it to work right on a PC connected headset.
VEER also no longer works in PC.

Post your tips and advice and recco's here!

Last edited:
This might be helpful to fix a problem many have with the HP reverb g2 headsets, the dreaded switch usb3 ports to find a stable one because they constantly get error messages to connect the headset.
Some claimed they needed a powered usb hub but it comes with a powered chord. This might fix the dreaded problem: Most don't know to conserve energy the usb ports have power saver enabled and can randomly turn off ports or lower the needed power. Here's how to find the advanced power management for the usb.

Also in power management you have choices of "power plans" whether balance or performance and some have their cpu specific
high performance .
Always choose high performance over power saving because vr requires it as you push the limits of your cpu and gpu.

Last edited:
Windows:
what good is system restore when it always tells you after an hour or 2 that it couldn't restore to that restore point?
What good is making a rescue disk if it claims you can't make one when you try or you waste 5-10 disks and hours to find out those disks didn't properly make a rescue disk.
What good is clicking troubleshooting when not once has it ever found the problem you know exists, but according to Windows you don't have an issue.
And lastly, why throw your hat in the AR- VR ring, then only have a handful of mostly useless VR apps that don't work anymore in your own app store.

Speaker plugged in, but com. says its not plugged in. The speakers have some static coming from them but no other sound. What am I doing wrong

You might have pluged it in the mic input instead of speaker output? The icons are so small and you might need reading glasses, but sometimes they are color coated inputs to match wires to help see where they go. Also static issues will appear when your levels on your master volume is low but your input volume is raised up, it should be the opposite. (Speaker icon on your taskbar advanced settings has more then just your basic volume level on some operating systems.)
Find the troubleshooter/sound to see if windows can spot the problem if it's drivers.
If it is a driver issue then I believe it's Device manager that will show an error message in your sound section.
If you are talking about VR headsets then sound settings for VR are in the mixed reality section (I'm not at the computer to know how to get to that section I believe it's at the bottom of settings) whereby you can turn the sound onto the headset or back to the computer, default should be headset so your computer speaker would not be projecting if your VR is running (attached and ready)

more advice: sometimes waiting for a fix from bad updates takes time and some of those driver corruptions become fixed in the new updates.
Once you get your vr working and all error messages in device manager fixed and everything is dialed in perfect, you should make a restore point and label it the point your pc was perfectly working fine. You can then delete all the restore points but that last one will remain, where you got everything perfect. You might need this restore point if a graphics driver or update from windows corrupts your drivers. Comand prompt in administration mode:
sfc /scannow
fixes disk errors, but never fixes corrupt drivers, and device manager might still tell you everything is fine and you have the best drivers available when something is corrupted.

Another issue people have had for many years, is the dreaded non boot blue monitor screen, your tiny red warning error lights on your motherboard in your see through computer glass (if you have one) will shine on the motherboard as the cpu warning light and such, if you look close it's marked to know where the issue is. People have claimed it's a psu issue and can only boot up by turning off the rear main power switch for a few seconds then turning back on and using the pc on button to turn back on and boot will work, so if this is your problwm on bootup screen get into the bios with whatever f number key it says brings up your bios screen. In bios check your over clock section and cpu and make sure it's on auto, because although some say use manual and set the volt at 1.35v, this manual setting can be the boot issue assumed to be the psu (power supply). Click to save the bios setting and now restart or turn off should not need the main power switch to boot up properly.

Tips for other common problems:
Vr player shows black screen on opening 5k-8k videos. Players like DeoVR will notify you that you need lav filters to play the higher resolution vids and it will auto turn on The switch for Directx in it's settings. Download the latest LAV filters I think .74.1 is the number of the last update.
When installing, Choose to save to start menu and pin the video configuration to start because you need to change settings to solve another common issue.
Now with LAv filters you will be able to see 5-8k videos in your VR player-howevwr here's the most common question: how to play them without the lost frame stutter and miss aligned audio which is like watching a 70's language dubbed kung fu movie.
The answer I found is it's caused by your decoding of the video which is where accessing the lav filter video configuearion properties cones in.
Open the LAV video config, the first tab is video,
Find the pull down for acceleration and if you have Nvidia graphics card then choose "Cuvid" and this will set your GPU as the video acceleration of decoding the compression instead of CPU which gets maxed out and is slower (less threads) then your huge cuda graphics card. You also should choose to turn on hardware acceleration in your Windows 10 (look up online for where to find it)
I think it's in settings/system/display/ addional graphics or something to that affect, online info will be specific, I'm only going by memory.
It will tell you to restart your computer after switching it on so save your work, close everything and restart and now your gpu will be taking the load off the cpu that those huge bitrate 60 fps videos will stress. Remember, 5k-8k vr games and video takes a lot to run, so don't forget to up your fan speed when in VR, it will heat up fast if you don't.

Never done PC VR but i bought an oculus quest 2 a few weeks ago. Its AWESOME

Isn't it supposed to connect to PC's as well?
Stick with standalones, everything usually works where pc's nothing usually works out of the box.
I can't use Any Occulus products because facebook won't let me create an account-go figure. *L*

Stick with standalones, everything usually works where pc's nothing usually works out of the box.
I can't use Any Occulus products because facebook won't let me create an account-go figure. *L*
Nope. Its a standalone.
1612388230650.png

Nope. Its a standalone.
View attachment 452589
Through occulus link I think you can use pc vr games and even data off your pc, so you don't have to buy a bunch of Micro sd cards just load off the link
  1. On your PC, go to www.oculus.com/setup and click “Download Software” under “Oculus Link”.
  2. Open the app and click “Install now”.
  3. Turn on your Oculus Quest 2.
  4. Plug your USB 3.0 cable head into a compatible PC port, then plug the USB-C end into the Quest 2’s charging port.
  5. Put on your headset.
  6. You should see a popup: “Allow access to data. The connected device can access files on this headset.” Select Deny.
  7. You will then see an option to enable Oculus Link. Select Enable.
You should now be able to use Oculus Link.

Forum List

Back