Vikings were terrifying

From the Spillings Hoard
1612598040719.png

Beowulf was an awesome Vikings tale. Lots of mead drinking, monster slaying, and the tear jerker ending, with his funeral ship floating away in flames. Good stuff. Worth a read.

Could you imagine a bunch of big ,bearded thugs running at you with axes !!
Everyone knew that dying in battle was a gift and a trip to Valhalla

Saudi Aramco World : Among the Norse Tribes: The ...
AramcoWorld : Indexes : Back Issues : 2010s › issue › 199906 › among...
We would in fact know little about these Rus, these Norsemen in the East, were it not for Muslim chroniclers, Ibn Fadlan, whose ninth-century Risala (Letter) is the richest account of all, kept a journal that details his encounters with the Rus along the Volga, as well as with many other

In 921, the Arab traveler Ahmad ibn Fadlan (fl. 920s) went on a diplomatic mission to what is now Russia. There he encountered numerous Turkic peoples, among them the Khazars, one of the few groups in history outside of Israel to adopt Judaism. But perhaps the most memorable passages in the Risala, his account of his journeys, concern the Varangians, a group of Vikings known by a term that would eventually become the name of the surrounding country itself: Rus.

Ibn Fadlan: An Arab Among the Vikings of Russia ...
Encyclopedia.com | Free Online Encyclopedia › science › encyclopedias...

I really liked it, my students liked it. We drew pictures of Grendell's mother.
In high school assignment reading, my favorite books were anything by Mark Twain, Orwell's 1984, Moby Dick and The Outsiders.
Good picks. I hated 1984, though.
The Vikings, now ...
They were truly cosmopolitan, traded as far east as Afghanistan, all over Europe, the Middle East. They bathed regularly and cleaned their ears. They found North America way before the Europeans, but they kept it to themselves, because who gives up their best fishing spot?

Forum List

Back