War Games.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
A pretty good movie in case some may have missed it, featuring a young
Matthew Broderick and Ally Sheedy.

The storyline is a little less believable in the 21st century but it's a
good historical gauge of how much things have changed in 40 years.

War Games is Hollywood stuff not based on fact. The Art of War penned by an ancient Chinese Emperor is still studied, today.

Party Pooper.
1622435257644.png

Last edited:

Why less believable? With US Govt hacking tools stolen I think its more possible than ever. I often wonder how vigilant the people on duty there are. We also have more national disaffection than we've had in a long time making treasonous acts more probable.

Why less believable? With US Govt hacking tools stolen I think its more possible than ever. I often wonder how vigilant the people on duty there are. We also have more national disaffection than we've had in a long time making treasonous acts more probable.

People are on vigilant duty, day and night. Hear the thunder?

For starters, U.S. nuclear weapons have NEVER been connected electronically to an outside system. So "hacking" U.S. nuclear weapons launch systems is a physical impossibility.

I saw it as a little kid
Still a fun picture

I saw it as a little kid
Still a fun picture

I love MB....the Cable Guy, Tower Heist, Family Business ,the Freshman ...Ferris Beuller.

Last edited:

For starters, U.S. nuclear weapons have NEVER been connected electronically to an outside system. So "hacking" U.S. nuclear weapons launch systems is a physical impossibility.

Well, this is both true, and not true.

The three systems we still rely upon for this are RADAR stations, satellites, and the missile silos.

And yes, all three are independent and not connected to "the Internet".

Technically. They still use it, but it is yet another even deeper layers that is known as "SIPRNET". This is an even deeper, encoded system that has never yet been broken. This is what Manning took information from to post to Wikileaks. But as has always been the case of any breech from SIPR, it came from inside and was information leaked from inside to outside. No hacker has ever been able to "break in", because the protocols are of a very complex nature, and constantly changing.

At most, they might be able to interrupt communications through something like a DDOS attack, but still can not get inside of it.

And SIPR is double-blind. True, it "piggiebacks" on the Internet, but is still completely different. A system on the Internet can not talk to a system on SIPR, and a system on SIPR can not talk to anything on the Internet. And because of the requirement of human interactions and decisions, it would require a person to see an "enemy launch" from one of the surveillance systems, then to notify the "National Authority", then to pass along the orders to the missile crews. And that even to this day is still old-school as it has been for half a century. Two individuals, each with physical keys that have to work together to launch a missile. Only after multiple checks have been performed.

A big part of War Games was about that being changed, and the people being replaced entirely by machines. Even almost 40 years later, that is still done by people and not computers.

Forum List

Back