We Need to go all electric they said

(Hiss, boo) I just watched this PBS documentary on electric plane circumnavigating the earth it was rather fascinating...(solar impulse). Please don't mock these guys, it basically what they call a "moonshot" for sustainable energy. In fact it may cost millions to do it and wasted a lot of energy, but hey one small step for man...
Mining lithium and tearing up bog pond ecosystems for the problem of disposing of nonrecyclable batteries en mass is not sustaining
Its an idea imposed by the same people who ignored the chemical science that destroyed the ozone. These people have no brains
First of all, almost everything used in wind turbines, batteries, and solar panels is recyclable. And the mining for lithium is far less damaging than mining coal or fracking for gas.

The mining for lithium destroys ecosystems of ponds that most people would consider to be insignificant because its just a bog. But that shows ignorance by those who dont understand the importance of the interconnected dependence of ecosystems. Even the bacterial bottoms of bogs contribute to the environment
Like the effects of chloroflourocarbons. Its only insignificant till you roll forwards with it and then find the true result. Some people dont get biology and ecosystems. All they understand is politics and the distribution of money.
Electric batteries are not the long term answer.

Damn, just how fucking dumb are you? Lithium brines;
1609977516671.png

A quick primer on how much extra time and money its gonna take. Prolly wouldnt plan a roadtrip with one.
Electric car driver discovers fast charge costs more than gas (wnd.com) [Editor's note: This story originally was published by Real Clear Energy.]
What is the cost to charge a Tesla Model 3?
The long-range version of the Model 3 has a 75 kWh battery pack with a 322 mile range. If we still assume the average national electric pricing of 13 cents per kWh and a charging efficiency of 85%, then a full charge will cost $11.47. This is $3.60 per 100 miles of mixed city and freeway driving, or 3.6 cents per mile. This is almost 80% less than the cost per mile to drive the most popular gas-powered cars, which is approximately 15 cents per mile.

While these savings are impressive, most new electric car buyers have realized that there is an even cheaper way to charge their Tesla: using home solar panels.

1/3rd of drivers in the UK would be unable to charge an EV from home due to the type of property, road access etc.. That's quite a few million.

All these adverts with EV's shows people living in large detached houses in an acre of land with garages, solar panels etc.. Doesn't resemble the majority in the real world.

(Hiss, boo) I just watched this PBS documentary on electric plane circumnavigating the earth it was rather fascinating...(solar impulse). Please don't mock these guys, it basically what they call a "moonshot" for sustainable energy. In fact it may cost millions to do it and wasted a lot of energy, but hey one small step for man...
Mining lithium and tearing up bog pond ecosystems for the problem of disposing of nonrecyclable batteries en mass is not sustaining
Its an idea imposed by the same people who ignored the chemical science that destroyed the ozone. These people have no brains
First of all, almost everything used in wind turbines, batteries, and solar panels is recyclable. And the mining for lithium is far less damaging than mining coal or fracking for gas.

Funny how they are filling massive landfills with wind turbine blades....dont lie

A quick primer on how much extra time and money its gonna take. Prolly wouldnt plan a roadtrip with one.
Electric car driver discovers fast charge costs more than gas (wnd.com) [Editor's note: This story originally was published by Real Clear Energy.]
The long-range version of the Model 3 has a 75 kWh battery pack with a 322 mile range. If we still assume the average national electric pricing of 13 cents per kWh and a charging efficiency of 85%, then a full charge will cost $11.47. This is $3.60 per 100 miles of mixed city and freeway driving, or 3.6 cents per mile. This is almost 80% less than the cost per mile to drive the most popular gas-powered cars, which is approximately 15 cents per mile.

While these savings are impressive, most new electric car buyers have realized that there is an even cheaper way to charge their Tesla: using home solar panels.

1/3rd of drivers in the UK would be unable to charge an EV from home due to the type of property, road access etc.. That's quite a few million.

All these adverts with EV's shows people living in large detached houses in an acre of land with garages, solar panels etc.. Doesn't resemble the majority in the real world.
How many people have gasoline pumps in their homes? As EV's become the major form of transportation there will be many more charging stations and competition to get people to charge at the different companies stations. Which mean lower prices per KW/h.

Our Tesla Model 3 Lost 7 Percent of Battery Capacity in 24K Miles (caranddriver.com)
Another overlooked facet of electrics. subpar range thats gets shorter. Article reiterates the xtra cost of supercharging price was and range wise
Nice bit of editing there. So, let us post the whole headline;

Our Tesla Model 3 Has Lost 7 Percent of Battery Capacity in 24,000 Miles
If our car's battery continues to erode at this rate, it will qualify for replacement under Tesla's warranty.

Funny how they are filling massive landfills with wind turbine blades....dont lie

Don't need to lie, there is no necessity of that. Others are recycling the blades.

How many people have gasoline pumps in their homes? As EV's become the major form of transportation there will be many more charging stations and competition to get people to charge at the different companies stations. Which mean lower prices per KW/h.
I have a second home which I rent out. It's in a block of four flats, top floor. The street is single side parked cars only. The width of the property is just over the length of a car. Streets in the area are the same. Where could people charge their cars?

With petrol/diesel, fill the car up and you're good for 500+ miles. With electric, you're pretty much fucked. As more in the household get cars, popping to garages for a charge, hours at a time is unrealistic and not in connection with reality.

Maybe EV's are the way forward, reality does not make them viable for many people. Over a third of motorists in the UK cannot charge from home. Getting this in people's heads is proving difficult.

Our Tesla Model 3 Lost 7 Percent of Battery Capacity in 24K Miles (caranddriver.com)
Another overlooked facet of electrics. subpar range thats gets shorter. Article reiterates the xtra cost of supercharging price was and range wise
Nice bit of editing there. So, let us post the whole headline;

Our Tesla Model 3 Has Lost 7 Percent of Battery Capacity in 24,000 Miles
If our car's battery continues to erode at this rate, it will qualify for replacement under Tesla's warranty.

yeah so.....still subpar......I know I always look forward to warranty haggles

Neither of my vehicles get 500 miles on a single tank. But you are correct. The range of the EV's from 2020 and back is subpar. However, for urban dwellers, this is not a problem. It would be for me, as I take frequent trips into the back country of Oregon, Nevada, Idaho, and Washington. However, a couple of the 2021 Tesla models are coming out with ranges that exceed 500 miles.

Several Youtubers have described multi-thousand mile trips with EV's, and documented how much time and money are consumed by the charging, waiting, etc. Any long trip requires planning, and there won't be any records set, but with the mapping to charger-locating software in the cars, the delay and inconvenience are tolerable. Fuel should be about half or less what it would be in a reasonably-efficient car (Honda Accord).

People always fret about the long trips, but how many of those actually happen? My theory is that the households that own EV's very probably have at least one other vehicle in the household (an SUV?) and for that occasional cross country tour you take the other car.

One hopes that people will actually run the numbers before buying an Ev, and satisfy themselves that it makes sense. If the EV costs 8 thousand more than a comparable ICE, how long will it take to amortize that difference with fuel savings. And don't forget the States will shortly be imposing taxes on EV owners, to compensate for the fact that they dont pay gasoline taxes.

EV'S are great in town. They suck for long trips. I drove from Reno to Phoenix in one day. The Tesla that we kept swapping places with as he passed us at 90mph, but then we passed back because he had to hit every charging station, then had to stop in Vegas while we continued on, is an example.

He arrived 13 hours, at least, after we did. That's pretty poor.

(Hiss, boo) I just watched this PBS documentary on electric plane circumnavigating the earth it was rather fascinating...(solar impulse). Please don't mock these guys, it basically what they call a "moonshot".

Electric powered stuff is sorta weak. We'll never escape the earth's gravity without high-explosive mixtures of God knows what volitile chemicals. And we'll never experience economic growth without cheap, easily-available fossil fuels like coal, oil, gasoline, and natural gas.

I'm a staunch proponent of fossil fuels. Solar and electric-powered stuff comes under the heading of "also ran." They're kinda "gee whiz" but they just don't measure up to real energy.
I bet you are a staunch proponent of horse drawn wagons for commerce, also.

No, but you seem to be with your 300 year old windmills!

Where I grew up, in Southern California, there was a time when houses with only electric appliances (no gas) had special medallions mounted on their facades exclaiming it to be an "All Electric Home". This was actually a selling point.

MedallionHomePlaque1.jpg

PG&E was promising us all (nearly) free nuclear power was right around the corner and the utility bills for such houses would be in pennies.

Of course, this imagined future never came and all electric homes became the most costly to heat and cool and to run a dryer.

Be careful when we are promised a bright future. The future is only bright for those who are selling us on it.

Forum List

Back