Weinergate

Ethics is relevant... That's why the House has ethics rules....

does it say no one is allowed to cheat on their spouses? Answer this question by itself.

The very first house rule is that a member is not do anything which reflects negatively on the creditability of the House.

Weiner's lies and behavior violated this rule.

From Popst #1226:

He is in violation of the House Ethics Rules:

ETHICS MANUAL THE CODE OF OFFICIAL CONDUCT House Rule XLIII

1. A Member, officer, or employee of the House of Representatives shall conduct himself at all times in a manner which shall reflect creditably on the House of Representatives.

http://www.house.gov/house/Ethics/Ethicforward.html
so..... what about Vitter?

Ethics is relevant... That's why the House has ethics rules....

does it say no one is allowed to cheat on their spouses? Answer this question by itself.

The very first house rule is that a member is not do anything which reflects negatively on the creditability of the House.

From Popst #1226:

1. A Member, officer, or employee of the House of Representatives shall conduct himself at all times in a manner which shall reflect creditably on the House of Representatives.

then half the congressmen of each party should resign.....

I don't know...

i dont know either but my guess is no. I don't see how this texting incident interferes with his ability to do his job.

Is it unethical to send pix and sexual messages to women other than your wife and then lie about you being "hacked"? My guess is a House Ethics Panel would have said yes...

The distraction is probably not an interference in his ability to be an "0bama Yes Man"...

From Popst #1226:

Vitter has been brought up ad nauseum in this thread by the Weiner Apologists.

Here's the difference:

- Vitter's behavior was something from years ago. He stopped it. His wife knew about it and forgave him. By the time it became public knowledge, the statue of limitations had expired. His behavior was also right about the same time as Clinton's - and the big excuse of that era was Everybody Lies About Sex and it's a Private Family Matter. Vitter admitted it and apologized.

- Weiner's behavior was ongoing at the time he was outed as a tweet perv. He engaged in a campaign of lies involving hackers and blaming an innocent online journalist. He coached some of the women to lie. He could not confirm that all of his online sext partners were adults. The contemporary comparison is Chris Lee, who resigned within hours.

I would have preferred for Vitter to resign at the time, but it is old news now. If you wish to go through a witch hunt purge to get rid of all appalling members of Congress, then let's start with Rangel, Waters, and Frank. What they've done to the country is Far Worse than either Weiner or Vitter has done.

CNN and Fox have just reported that Weiner will sign a lucrative reality TV show that will begin filming next month. Celebrity Sausage is soliciting advertising at this moment. Bill Clinton, John Edwards, Mark Sanford, John Ensign, Eliot Spitzer, Larry Craig and Mark Foley are making guest appearances.
Terms and conditions of the contract unavailable at this time.

From Popst #1226:

Vitter has been brought up ad nauseum in this thread by the Weiner Apologists.

Here's the difference:

- Vitter's behavior was something from years ago. He stopped it. His wife knew about it and forgave him. By the time it became public knowledge, the statue of limitations had expired. His behavior was also right about the same time as Clinton's - and the big excuse of that era was Everybody Lies About Sex and it's a Private Family Matter. Vitter admitted it and apologized.

- Weiner's behavior was ongoing at the time he was outed as a tweet perv. He engaged in a campaign of lies involving hackers and blaming an innocent online journalist. He coached some of the women to lie. He could not confirm that all of his online sext partners were adults. The contemporary comparison is Chris Lee, who resigned within hours.

I would have preferred for Vitter to resign at the time, but it is old news now. If you wish to go through a witch hunt purge to get rid of all appalling members of Congress, then let's start with Rangel, Waters, and Frank. What they've done to the country is Far Worse than either Weiner or Vitter has done.

i'm sure it was brought up. but i didn't wanna go through 3500 posts to find it. Hope you'll understand. Having an ethics committee in Congress is like having a cultural sensitivity committee in the Ku Klux Klan.
what constitutes a violation of the code you mentioned earlier? who determines that? it seems to me, the media has determined it in this instance.

I'm of the opinion that Ethics Probes have two purposes:

1. To buy time and delay consequences for favored, protected members.

2. To put pressure on unfavored members to resign right away.

Weiner is in category #2.

I noted earlier in this thread that Weiner's lack of Ivy League Lawyer status put him at a disadvantage. His state school middle class background is something that the Ruling Elite disdains (recall how Palin is ridiculed for going to third tier schools).

As long as Weiner was useful to the Ruling Elite, they let him play the game. But once he became an embarrassment, they abandoned him. I doubt he would have been forced to resign if he were a Kennedy.

I noted earlier in this thread that Weiner's lack of Ivy League Lawyer status put him at a disadvantage. His state school middle class background is something that the Ruling Elite disdains (recall how Palin is ridiculed for going to third tier schools).

As long as Weiner was useful to the Ruling Elite, they let him play the game. But once he became an embarrassment, they abandoned him. I doubt he would have been forced to resign if he were a Kennedy.

I don't care who gets thrown out on their ass at this point. Personally, I'd love to start all over and pick new Reps and Senators with TERM LIMITS so that this SHIT never happens again. The Founders NEVER intended for government to become a way of life and to get rich, serving SELF. Our whole system is in the shitter.

see if the above is true, this committee is acting in opposition to democracy.

Anthony Weiner his resignation speech today 6-16-2011

approx. 5 minutes.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v5rNG2hOMY"]YouTube - ‪Anthony Weiner his resignation speech today 6-16-2011‬‏[/ame]

Last edited:

Congress has acted in opposition to democracy for ages.

Ivy League credentials do not do anyone that shows their meat on the internet any good.
Maybe in the 60s but not now.

Congress has acted in opposition to democracy for ages.

.....and we tolerate it.

Forum List

Back