We're Not so Different

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
A student of mine for several years is from Afghanistan. She graduated this past school year. She has several close friends from Haiti, Ghana, Guatemala, etc. A very devout Muslim, but very outgoing with other girls from everywhere. A great kid. She was another one who, after she was no longer in my class, would come by my classroom after school or during lunch, etc. just to catch up. When she became advanced in her English, she helped other newly-arrived students from Afghanistan get their bearings culturally, academically, and linguistically (there is some serious culture shock coming to the US from Afghanistan). She's starting college in the fall, and I'm sure she will do well.

Last edited:
At heart you find that wherever you travel , "ordinary " people are exactly the same .
Cultural differences can be huge , and until proved otherwise , all humans seek love , care and attention and the well ones balance giving and receiving .
imho

Immigrants have shown the way to succeed in this country - regardless of race - and it is too, too bad that so few native-born Americans see that pattern and seek to emulate it.

A student of mine for several years is from Afghanistan. She graduated this past school year. She has several close friends from Haiti, Ghana, Guatemala, etc. A very devout Muslim, but very outgoing with other girls from everywhere. A great kid. She was another one who, after she was no longer in my class, would come by my classroom after school or during lunch, etc. just to catch up. When she became advanced in her English, she helped other newly-arrived students from Afghanistan get their bearings culturally, academically, and linguistically (there is some serious culture shock coming to the US from Afghanistan). She's starting college in the fall, and I'm sure she will do well.
It's nice Joe did not leave her behind in that hell like he did so many other US friendly natives.

Forum List

Back