What did you have for dinner?

For dinner yesterday, Mr. Lucy made pan-seared Red Snapper with an asparagus, black olive and shallot Risotto.

The Red Snapper was especially nice with the Hot Fudge Sauce I put on it :smoke:
Would you please divorce him so I could marry him?

He's in the kitchen making tonights dinner. This is roast shoulder of lamb with cinnamon and fennel, Hasselback potatoes with Gorgonzola and honey and sauteed baby artichokes.

He came home at lunchtime to put the roast lamb in the oven, a slow roast, so it should be ready when everything else is ready. Mr. Lucy has whats called good planning.
Sounds fantastic. What about German meals, those sound more French like. Does he do wienersnitchzle and potato pancakes? I make wienerschitzle out of chicken breasts. Yummy!

The other week he made Jägerschnitzel and Kartoffelsalat. I think he's already decided that tonights dinner is Zigeunerschnitzel and Spätzle.

The Jägerschnitzel, with a mushroom sauce, the Zigeunerschnitzel, with a bell pepper sauce.

"I make wienerschitzle out of chicken breasts."

Darling I love you, but you cannot refer to something involving chicken as Wiener Schnitzel, only VEAL can be referred to as Wiener Schnitzel this is by law in my nation.

What you made in my nation has to be referred to as Wiener Schnitzel vom Huhn....Viennese Schnitzel from Chicken. If you made one from pork, it has to be referred to as Wiener Schnitzel vom Schwein....Viennese Schnitzel from Pork.

Schnitzel itself just basically means cutlets in general and not just the breaded and fried ones.
Ach du lieber ! I don't call the chicken breast wienerschnizle, just wienderschitzle like. I'll add vom huhn to the lexicon to prevent an international incident.

Veal is too expensive but I have done it with pork. Now it will be on my mind all day, I know what Imma having for dinner already!

"I'll add vom huhn to the lexicon to prevent an international incident."

It's only sensible that you do :lol:

"Veal is too expensive but I have done it with pork."

Well that's okay, there's nothing wrong with pork.

With my weird eating habits at the moment I'm thinking a Schwein Strudel might be nice.

Schwein Strudel mit rahm und apfel....Pork Strudel with cream and apple :smile:

we went with breakfast for dinner - eggs, bacon and I actually did some home made hash browns with onion & green pepper.
well that's what my husband had. I had half of a small tv dinner @ 10:30 pm.
You need Lucy's husband to swing by for a few weeks.

I need a good chicken recipes is what I need.

Preferable for chicken breasts that will be tender, but, I can throw together in under an hour.
I hate to marinate etc. cause our plans always change at the last minute
It's super easy my way. If I oven cook breasts I just coat them with olive oil (extra virgin), coat with bread crumbs ...and that's it! Same with pan frying if I do it except I will add some lemon juice sometimes like weinerschnitzle and flatten it out.

Do you flatten out the chicken breasts whey you fry? I think you almost have to (maybe even in the oven) for it to cook evenly.
Right now, I make chicken tenders in the oven, but I use flour, egg/milk and Panko. Usually takes around 20 minutes, but chicken is so hard to cook cause you can't eat it undercooked but if you even cook it 2 or 3 minutes too long, it gets tough
The olive oil adds forgiveness to the time but ovens are not the same so you may need to experiment. I have been doing it lately in a covered dish. It's really moist like that.

I have a gas oven/stove - I grew up with electric but I especially love the gas burners - no waiting!

but really I don't enjoy cooking
it's pretty cool when I do something different and my husband likes it.
but it takes time to research and try new recipes.
I'm worried I'll botch it and then will have to cook something else....

You know what they say...when the husband asks what you made for dinner?

What? Usually he asks what I have planned. If I tell him he usually nixes it...

we went with breakfast for dinner - eggs, bacon and I actually did some home made hash browns with onion & green pepper.

Preferable for chicken breasts that will be tender, but, I can throw together in under an hour.

Have you tried veal, veal is simply majestic.

Oh I have had it. Not sure I could talk my husband into it.
He never even had chili until a few years ago! Crazy!
anyway... what's a good veal recipe for someone who has never prepared it?

As Mr. Lucy is the chef in our household, I'll have to ask him, this to be a simple veal dish, nothing too complicated.

I'll post the recipe in this thread.

okie dokie. I can look it up too.....
do you put the chocolate on your own food, or does he do that too? ;)

I ate good last night....I seared some scallops, and some smoked salmon and made a cream sauce with vodka/garlic/thyme and reduced some mushrooms and white wine.
Mmmmm

I ate good last night....I seared some scallops, and some smoked salmon and made a cream sauce with vodka/garlic/thyme and reduced some mushrooms and white wine.
Mmmmm

some woman is missing out big time.
or do you have a girlfriend now?

Took left over rice, spam, vienna and portuguese sausage and created a nice Pork Fired Rice. Plus left over Beef Tomato with green salad

Yum

-Geaux

Use thighs instead of breasts. Juicier with or without marinade.

I agree but hubby doesn't like dark meat? No clue why cause he likes tender meat/chicken. I think it's mental...

I have a gas oven/stove - I grew up with electric but I especially love the gas burners - no waiting!
My biggest kitchen mistake was going with an electric flat top to replace the gas range. My cooking is very basic so it works out but I do miss the gas burners.

With my weird eating habits at the moment I'm thinking a Schwein Strudel might be nice.

My mom made strudle from scratch. Looks like too much work, I think I'd buy it in a box but never see it around here. The one German deli closed long ago but damn, they charged a lot for their stuff.

No I put the chocolate sauce on myself :smoke:

You could make Kartoffelsalat, potato salad, but I recommend Bayerischer Kartoffelsalat, a Bavarian potato salad.

Here are recipes, very simple, this is the one Mr. Lucy made the other week:

• 500 g or 1 kg potatoes - depending how much Potato salad you want
  • beef broth
  • 2 tablespoons Apple Cider vinegar
  • 1 cucumber diced
  • 1 small red onion
  • some pepper and salt
  • some finely chopped chives
  • 2 tablespoons oil (canola or safflower oil)
  • Grilled Bacon diced
  • German mustard, if you can't get a good German mustard then use Dijon mustard.
Here's another recipe for Bayerischer Kartoffelsalat, this one includes apples.

Bayrischer Kartoffelsalat

Oh :eusa_doh:I'll give you copy and paste translation:

ingredients

1 kg Potatoes, peeled, cut into slices
2 large Gherkin (n), in cubes
1 m.-large Onion (s), diced
2 m.-large Apples, diced
1 / 4 liter Broth, strong (rather less)
6 tablespoons vinegar
5 EL oil
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp, gestr. salt
1 tsp, gestr. mustard
1 tsp, gestr. pepper
1 tsp, gestr. Herbs
150 g Bacon, boisterous

preparation

Working time: ca. 25 min /. Baking / Cooking time: ca. 5 min. Rest period: ca. 1 hr /. Difficulty: simple /calories p. P .: not specified

Prepare 1/4 liter of broth. Into it enter the vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, mustard, pepper and salad herbs and briefly boil. Add the bacon discharged to the potato slices and pour the broth. All fold and allow some time draw with repeated stirring.

WTF bizarre translations, it's readable but comical.

Edited to add comment.

Last edited:

No I put the chocolate sauce on myself :smoke:

You could make Kartoffelsalat, potato salad, but I recommend Bayerischer Kartoffelsalat, a Bavarian potato salad.

Here are recipes, very simple:

• beef broth
  • 1 cucumber diced - some use Gherkin/Dill Pickle
  • 1 small red onion
  • some pepper and salt
  • Grilled Bacon diced
  • German mustard, if you can't get a good German mustard then use Dijon mustard.
Here's another recipe for Bayerischer Kartoffelsalat, this one includes apples.

Bayrischer Kartoffelsalat

Sounds great! I hope I remember to try this !

I agree but hubby doesn't like dark meat? No clue why cause he likes tender meat/chicken. I think it's mental...
Thighs are too juicy and sweet. I do like them grilled though.

Chicken thigh isn't dark meat.

Thighs are too juicy and sweet. I do like them grilled though.

I need to learn to grill
I was looking at some George Foreman's on Amazon.
We also have an unopened small portable grill in the basement...

My biggest kitchen mistake was going with an electric flat top to replace the gas range. My cooking is very basic so it works out but I do miss the gas burners.

My mom made strudle from scratch. Looks like too much work, I think I'd buy it in a box but never see it around here. The one German deli closed long ago but damn, they charged a lot for their stuff.

Strudel from scratch is pretty complicated, I wonder why they don't sell pre-made Strudel in your main food stores. Can you get Pumpernickel bread?

When I was in Texas I got Pumpernickel bread, this made me very happy!

Here are recipes, very simple, this is the one Mr. Lucy made the other week:

• beef broth
  • 1 cucumber diced
  • 1 small red onion
  • some pepper and salt
  • Grilled Bacon diced
Sehr Gutt! I now know what will accompany my schnitzle ala hun tonight.

Forum List

Back