What did you have for dinner?

You need Lucy's husband to swing by for a few weeks.

I need a good chicken recipes is what I need.

Preferable for chicken breasts that will be tender, but, I can throw together in under an hour.
I hate to marinate etc. cause our plans always change at the last minute

Use thighs instead of breasts. Juicier with or without marinade.

I agree but hubby doesn't like dark meat? No clue why cause he likes tender meat/chicken. I think it's mental...
Thighs are too juicy and sweet. I do like them grilled though.

I need to learn to grill
I was looking at some George Foreman's on Amazon.
We also have an unopened small portable grill in the basement...
The portable one will be way better for that. I have a Foreman type grill but it's good for hamburger, bacon, salmon burgers (if you add oil). It's not a chicken griller. You also need a domed splatter screen to grill indoors.

we went with breakfast for dinner - eggs, bacon and I actually did some home made hash browns with onion & green pepper.
well that's what my husband had. I had half of a small tv dinner @ 10:30 pm.

Preferable for chicken breasts that will be tender, but, I can throw together in under an hour.

I agree but hubby doesn't like dark meat? No clue why cause he likes tender meat/chicken. I think it's mental...

Chicken thigh isn't dark meat.

hmmm, I looked it up....

Dark meat is found in the wings, thighs, and drumsticks,

I need to learn to grill
The portable one will be way better for that. I have a Foreman type grill but it's good for hamburger, bacon, salmon burgers (if you add oil). It's not a chicken griller. You also need a domed splatter screen to grill indoors.

I just need to motivate myself to experiment with the portable one day. Go on the deck with some hamburgers and hot dogs. I don't want an electric grill or anything that requires propane. Just the old fashioned charcoal and lighter fluid kind

hmmm, I looked it up....

Don't look it up, look AT it.

okie dokie. I can look it up too.....
do you put the chocolate on your own food, or does he do that too? ;)

No I put the chocolate sauce on myself :smoke:

You could make Kartoffelsalat, potato salad, but I recommend Bayerischer Kartoffelsalat, a Bavarian potato salad.

Here are recipes, very simple:

• 500 g or 1 kg potatoes - depending how much Potato salad you want
  • beef broth
  • 2 tablespoons Apple Cider vinegar
  • 1 cucumber diced - some use Gherkin/Dill Pickle
  • 1 small red onion
  • some pepper and salt
  • some finely chopped chives
  • 2 tablespoons oil (canola or safflower oil)
  • Grilled Bacon diced
  • German mustard, if you can't get a good German mustard then use Dijon mustard.
Here's another recipe for Bayerischer Kartoffelsalat, this one includes apples.

Bayrischer Kartoffelsalat

Sounds great! I hope I remember to try this !

Here are two websites with all types of veal recipes, simple ones and more complicated ones.

Veal Recipes: Learn How to Cook the Best Veal You've Ever Tasted | Ricardo

BBC - Food - Veal recipes

This one should be simple:

Pan-fried veal fillet with wild mushrooms, asparagus, wild garlic and sherry sauce

Pan-fried veal fillet with wild mushrooms, asparagus, wild garlic and sherry sauce

Ingredients
For the sherry sauce

For the veal

• 4 x 175g/6oz rosé veal fillets, cut into medallions
    • 20 garlic cloves, peeled and blanched 3 times (place in cold water, bring to the boil, drain and refresh in cold water and repeat twice more)
    • 150g/5oz mixed wild mushrooms (such as mousserons, girolles, pied blue)
Method

• For the sauce, heat a frying pan until just hot, add half the butter and the shallots. Cook over a low heat until soft and transparent.
    • Add the thyme and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have softened.
    • Add the sherry, turn up the heat and simmer until the liquid is reduced in volume by half.
    • Add the chicken stock and simmer until the liquid has reduced in volume by half again.
    • Add the cream and simmer until the liquid has reduce in volume by half again.
    • Whisk in the remaining butter, pass through a fine sieve into a clean pan and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Keep warm.
        1. For the veal, season the veal medallions with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
        2. Heat a frying pan until hot and add a third of the butter and all of the olive oil. Add the veal and fry gently for 2-3 minutes, without turning, until golden-brown on one side.
        3. Turn the veal over, add the garlic and thyme and fry for 2-3 minutes or until the veal is golden-brown on both sides and the garlic is golden in colour and soft.
        4. Remove the veal and garlic from the pan and leave to rest in a warm place.
        5. Spoon off any excess fat from the cooking juices in the pan and add a splash of water to the pan to deglaze, scraping off any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
        6. Add this liquid to the sherry sauce. Reheat the sauce, whisking all the time, until the cooking juices have been incorporated. Keep warm.
        7. Bring a shallow pan of water to the boil, add another third of the butter and the asparagus. Cook gently for 2-3 minutes, until just tender, and drain
        8. Heat a separate frying pan until hot, add the remaining butter, the mushrooms, wild garlic and spinach leaves and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until the mushrooms are cooked and the leaves wilted. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
        9. To serve, spoon two-thirds of the mushroom mixture into the centre of a large warm serving platter. Top with the veal medallions and the remaining mushroom mixture. Place the asparagus to one side and spoon over the sauce.

hmmm, I looked it up....

Chicken, Turkey are white meat. Dark meat is stuff like beef, lamb etc.

You seem to be thinking about turkey.

probably - but will try cooking thighs and see what happens.
I'm in the habit of buying boneless chicken breasts (I understand the bones help keep the meat juicy, so I've heard)

Makes much more sense to just by a rotisserie chicken for $4.99
Which is what I usually do. He eats the white meat, I eat the dark meat. I have to take the skin off and cut it up for him anyway...

okie dokie. I can look it up too.....
do you put the chocolate on your own food, or does he do that too? ;)

No I put the chocolate sauce on myself :smoke:

You could make Kartoffelsalat, potato salad, but I recommend Bayerischer Kartoffelsalat, a Bavarian potato salad.

Here are recipes, very simple:

• 500 g or 1 kg potatoes - depending how much Potato salad you want
  • beef broth
  • 2 tablespoons Apple Cider vinegar
  • 1 cucumber diced - some use Gherkin/Dill Pickle
  • 1 small red onion
  • some pepper and salt
  • some finely chopped chives
  • 2 tablespoons oil (canola or safflower oil)
  • Grilled Bacon diced
  • German mustard, if you can't get a good German mustard then use Dijon mustard.
Here's another recipe for Bayerischer Kartoffelsalat, this one includes apples.

Bayrischer Kartoffelsalat

Sounds great! I hope I remember to try this !

Here are two websites with all types of veal recipes, simple ones and more complicated ones.

Veal Recipes: Learn How to Cook the Best Veal You've Ever Tasted | Ricardo

BBC - Food - Veal recipes

This one should be simple:

Ingredients
For the sherry sauce

For the veal

• 4 x 175g/6oz rosé veal fillets, cut into medallions
    • 20 garlic cloves, peeled and blanched 3 times (place in cold water, bring to the boil, drain and refresh in cold water and repeat twice more)
    • 150g/5oz mixed wild mushrooms (such as mousserons, girolles, pied blue)
Method

• For the sauce, heat a frying pan until just hot, add half the butter and the shallots. Cook over a low heat until soft and transparent.
    • Add the thyme and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have softened.
    • Add the sherry, turn up the heat and simmer until the liquid is reduced in volume by half.
    • Add the chicken stock and simmer until the liquid has reduced in volume by half again.
    • Add the cream and simmer until the liquid has reduce in volume by half again.
    • Whisk in the remaining butter, pass through a fine sieve into a clean pan and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Keep warm.
        1. For the veal, season the veal medallions with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
        2. Heat a frying pan until hot and add a third of the butter and all of the olive oil. Add the veal and fry gently for 2-3 minutes, without turning, until golden-brown on one side.
        3. Turn the veal over, add the garlic and thyme and fry for 2-3 minutes or until the veal is golden-brown on both sides and the garlic is golden in colour and soft.
        4. Remove the veal and garlic from the pan and leave to rest in a warm place.
        5. Spoon off any excess fat from the cooking juices in the pan and add a splash of water to the pan to deglaze, scraping off any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
        6. Add this liquid to the sherry sauce. Reheat the sauce, whisking all the time, until the cooking juices have been incorporated. Keep warm.
        7. Bring a shallow pan of water to the boil, add another third of the butter and the asparagus. Cook gently for 2-3 minutes, until just tender, and drain
        8. Heat a separate frying pan until hot, add the remaining butter, the mushrooms, wild garlic and spinach leaves and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until the mushrooms are cooked and the leaves wilted. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
        9. To serve, spoon two-thirds of the mushroom mixture into the centre of a large warm serving platter. Top with the veal medallions and the remaining mushroom mixture. Place the asparagus to one side and spoon over the sauce.

If this is a bit complicated:

You could just have the pan-fried veal fillet with baked wild mushrooms and roasted asparagus....and not bother with making the wild garlic and sherry sauce.

I'm in the habit of buying boneless chicken breasts (I understand the bones help keep the meat juicy, so I've heard)

Which is what I usually do. He eats the white meat, I eat the dark meat. I have to take the skin off and cut it up for him anyway...

I'm not a fan of skin on anything, except fruit, I can't understand people who'll peel an apple or pear and then eat it and throw the skin away. The skin of fruits contain many nutrients.

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Prepare as you would chicken breast and see the difference.

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Prepare as you would chicken breast and see the difference.

going shopping today and will try it. I will let you know how it turns out. Will probably do it today or tomorrow.

I need to learn to grill

Bonzi should talk Mr. Bonzi into doing some cooking. Many girls, myself included, think that men who can cook are very sexy....this is why often I DEMAND that Mr. Lucy must be naked whilst in the kitchen :smoke:

If I am going to cook thighs - it is bone-in and skin on. Thighs are a treat, so go all the way.
As for breast - bone in and never cook them without brining. That is a mortal sin :)
Brine/season/coat with olive oil - 425 for 12 minutes, 350 for another 25 and check temp. It will be so juicy it will squirt out like an orange when you poke it with a fork.

Edit - those temps are for convection oven...conventional oven I would make that 450 for 12 minutes

Cutting the meat off the bone is a pain in the ass, and you have to cook longer. The skin is just plain fat. I gotta save that for my bacon-binging.

going shopping today and will try it. I will let you know how it turns out. Will probably do it today or tomorrow.

You've never made chicken thighs before? :eusa_eh:

Cutting the meat off the bone is a pain in the ass, and you have to cook longer. The skin is just plain fat. I gotta save that for my bacon-binging.

I have an awesome and easy chicken thigh recipe. Skin on and bone in, season with salt and pepper of course (I use garlic salt - more flavor). Sear, skin side down in a cast iron pan with at least 10 cloves of garlic (with the paper still on them). Once the thighs are browned, flip them over and throw in a few sprigs of thyme or rosemary (I also take some off the sprig and sprinkle them on the thighs. Then put them in a preheated 350-375 degree oven, bake for about 20 or 30 minutes until cooked through. Make a sauce with the pan drippings. I use white wine, a little bit of milk and a slurry (a mixture of corn starch and water - to thicken the sauce, garlic and shallots, salt and pepper. Serve the chicken thighs on some toasted crusty bread. Then you open up your roasted garlic cloves and spread on the bread and chicken. Pour pan sauce over the chicken thighs and bread. It has to be crusty bread to withstand the sauce and chicken thighs or else it will just be a soggy mess. I find Saloio bread works best.

I need to learn to grill

Bonzi should talk Mr. Bonzi into doing some cooking. Many girls, myself included, think that men who can cook are very sexy....this is why often I DEMAND that Mr. Lucy must be naked whilst in the kitchen :smoke:

Hopefully he doesn't cook bacon that way! Lol. :D

Forum List

Back