What did you have for dinner?

I made homemade spaghetti sauce and meatballs and garlic bread last night. Of course, I started late, so I didn't end up eating until like 9 PM. It was really good though. Leftovers today! :D

I have a gas oven/stove - I grew up with electric but I especially love the gas burners - no waiting!
My biggest kitchen mistake was going with an electric flat top to replace the gas range. My cooking is very basic so it works out but I do miss the gas burners.

With my weird eating habits at the moment I'm thinking a Schwein Strudel might be nice.

Schwein Strudel mit rahm und apfel....Pork Strudel with cream and apple :smile:
My mom made strudle from scratch. Looks like too much work, I think I'd buy it in a box but never see it around here. The one German deli closed long ago but damn, they charged a lot for their stuff.

Have you ever had Kirchweihnudel?

full_100cimg1167_cimg1167.jpg

I made homemade spaghetti sauce and meatballs and garlic bread last night. Of course, I started late, so I didn't end up eating until like 9 PM. It was really good though. Leftovers today! :D

We have dinner between 8pm and 9pm usually, but we have often had dinner at 10pm, this is normal as we're what the Britishers refer to as Continentals and it's not unusual for people to have dinner between 10pm and 11pm.

We have dinner between 8pm and 9pm usually, but we have often had dinner at 10pm, this is normal as we're what the Britishers refer to as Continentals and it's not unusual for people to have dinner between 10pm and 11pm.

I usually eat much earlier than that because I have to start work at 9 PM. Usually around 5:30 or 6 PM for me!

I usually eat much earlier than that because I have to start work at 9 PM. Usually around 5:30 or 6 PM for me!

That makes sense for you obviously.

Hey you could make Süße Dampfnudeln, there's a savoury one also, but Süße Dampfnudeln, is a sweet steamed dumpling that you put cream on or vanilla sauce usually....Kid A at least once a week cracks his little whip and this has to be made for him.

This is a picture of Süße Dampfnudeln mit vanillesoße - with vanilla sauce/custard. Kid A WORSHIPS this stuff!

Dampfnudeln-mit-Vanillesosse.jpg

Here's the recipe:

Google Translate

Hey you could make Süße Dampfnudeln, there's a savoury one also, but Süße Dampfnudeln, is a sweet steamed dumpling that you put cream on or vanilla sauce usually....Kid A at least once a week cracks his little whip and this has to be made for him.

This is a picture of Süße Dampfnudeln mit vanillesoße - with vanilla sauce/custard. Kid A WORSHIPS this stuff!

Here's the recipe:

Google Translate

Interesting! Never heard of a "sweet" dumpling before. I usually only make dumplings (bread dumplings) when I make beef stew. I can't even eat beef stew without dumplings anymore. I'm spoiled. :D

Here's the recipe:

Google Translate

Interesting! Never heard of a "sweet" dumpling before. I usually only make dumplings (bread dumplings) when I make beef stew. I can't even eat beef stew without dumplings anymore. I'm spoiled. :D

Yes the savoury Dampfnudeln are included in various meat dishes, what you refer to as bread dumplings there.

I have a gas oven/stove - I grew up with electric but I especially love the gas burners - no waiting!
My biggest kitchen mistake was going with an electric flat top to replace the gas range. My cooking is very basic so it works out but I do miss the gas burners.

With my weird eating habits at the moment I'm thinking a Schwein Strudel might be nice.

My mom made strudle from scratch. Looks like too much work, I think I'd buy it in a box but never see it around here. The one German deli closed long ago but damn, they charged a lot for their stuff.

Possibly. Kirch=church, correct? Just picked up the beef broth for the teutonic tater salad.

I grew up on the Phani knodels w/brown gravy on Sundays. Very yummy but I use potatoes instead as I question the nutrition of powder in a box.

I ate good last night....I seared some scallops, and some smoked salmon and made a cream sauce with vodka/garlic/thyme and reduced some mushrooms and white wine.
Mmmmm

I am not a "fish" person. I don't really like salmon.

Have you tried Char?
Char has the flavor profile of Salmon, but not quite as strong and a little sweeter.

Never even heard of it. Lol. I usually stick to the white flaky fishes, haddock, flounder, etc. I've had tilapia, and that's not too bad (it's a brackish fish I think).

Possibly. Kirch=church, correct? Just picked up the beef broth for the teutonic tater salad.

I grew up on the Phani knodels w/brown gravy on Sundays. Very yummy but I use potatoes instead as I question the nutrition of powder in a box.

Well Kirchweihnudel are donuts....Kirch is church yes, Kirchweih, literal translation for English would be church consecration. The Kirchweih is a traditional village fair, held across Austro-Bayern, it originally began in the Middle Ages, as a celebration on the date that the local church was first consecrated.

For Centuries also, it's been a Große Kirchweihfest, or a Great Church Consecration Festival and is held on the third Sunday each October. The Kirchweih of course is exclusively a Roman Catholic thing.

Love it...IMO - German deserts don't get the love they deserve.
Some of the best baked goods on the planet are of German origin.

I don't eat pastries that often either. Just not much of a fan of pastries most of the time. I usually stick with brownies, cookies and candy. I like cakes and pies though. I don't usually like sweet things that have a filling inside except jelly munchkins.

Well Kirchweihnudel are donuts....Kirch is church yes, Kirchweih, literal translation for English would be church consecration. The Kirchweih is a traditional village fair, held across Austro-Bayern, it originally began in the Middle Ages, as a celebration on the date that the local church was first consecrated.

For Centuries also, it's been a Große Kirchweihfest, or a Great Church Consecration Festival and is held on the third Sunday each October. The Kirchweih of course is exclusively a Roman Catholic thing.

Darn...what are those doughnuts that don't have holes called?...

Fried dough. :D

I don't eat pastries that often either. Just not much of a fan of pastries most of the time. I usually stick with brownies, cookies and candy. I like cakes and pies though. I don't usually like sweet things that have a filling inside except jelly munchkins.

German baked goods are not so much pastries as different kinds of sweet breads.

Crullers?

Isn't there an offshoot of Dunkin' Donuts called Creepy Crullers?

Well there should be.

Exactly, I agree :smile: Of course all of our backwaren, our baked goods should be included, as we have an extensive variety of breads, unique to each of our regions.

Forum List

Back