What did you have for dinner?

Fasnachts

Kreple are Silesian, but are available everywhere, eaten especially by people during Fat Thursday, the last Thursday before Lent.

Fat Thursday is a traditional Roman Catholic feast and people stuff themselves with things such as Kreple.

You familiar with Bamberg? I have relatives there... (Windt)

Yes Bamberg is Oberfranken, Upper Franconia, a beautiful part of a beautiful region. You know Upper Franconia alone brews about 1,000 different biers, I think it's the worlds highest brewing rate in any region.

They have the Fränkische Brauereistraße, this is literally a beer route, it's official, you visit pretty much all of the breweries, I think they now have 250 independent breweries!

Bamberg is amongst other things, famous for the Bamberger Hörnla, a special variety of potato, they're yellow inside and have a nutty taste, very nice.

Here's a picture of some:

bamberg-germany-07th-oct-2013-a-gardener-holds-potatos-of-the-bamberg-dfmpdh.jpg

OMG the beer there.... only place in the world that makes great Rauchbeir. And I don't like smoke beers.
And the cathedrals there are like no other place in Germany

I watch travel shows sometimes, and I've seen some quaint little villages in Germany that look like they are frozen in time. Some really beautiful places in Germany. Looks cold though.

Fasnachts

Kreple are Silesian, but are available everywhere, eaten especially by people during Fat Thursday, the last Thursday before Lent.

Fat Thursday is a traditional Roman Catholic feast and people stuff themselves with things such as Kreple.

Yes Bamberg is Oberfranken, Upper Franconia, a beautiful part of a beautiful region. You know Upper Franconia alone brews about 1,000 different biers, I think it's the worlds highest brewing rate in any region.

They have the Fränkische Brauereistraße, this is literally a beer route, it's official, you visit pretty much all of the breweries, I think they now have 250 independent breweries!

Bamberg is amongst other things, famous for the Bamberger Hörnla, a special variety of potato, they're yellow inside and have a nutty taste, very nice.

bamberg-germany-07th-oct-2013-a-gardener-holds-potatos-of-the-bamberg-dfmpdh.jpg

I love all kinds of potatoes. :D

I love all kinds of Teutonic bier :smile:

Fasnachts

Fat Thursday, for sure! Lol. :D

Syrian Catholics call Fat Thursday "Drunkard's Thursday" :smoke:

Fat Thursday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here in the US we have Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras). Talk about drunkards. Lol. I have no desire to ever go to a Mardi Gras. Way too many drunk people and people flashing just to get beads. Silly asses. :D

Fasnachts

I don't drink much and I especially don't like the taste of beers. I prefer mixed drinks, like Cosmos, and there is a drink called a Jolly Rancher that I've had several times. It comes in all the flavors of the Jolly Rancher candies and taste just like the candy.

Fasnachts

Did you know that in Germany way way back Churches would give parishioners two clay pots of beer after services?

Fasnachts

Very malty

Fasnachts

Here in the US we have Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras). Talk about drunkards. Lol. I have no desire to ever go to a Mardi Gras. Way too many drunk people and people flashing just to get beads. Silly asses. :D

That's really only on Burpin' Street, where nobody but the tourists from Indiana go. :D

Haven't seen that happen in eons. But I have a ton -- I mean a ton --- of beads from February that I don't know what to do with (I helped a krewe with their setup).

Did you see my thread with the pics?

Fasnachts

That's really only on Burpin' Street, where nobody but the tourists from Indiana go. :D

Haven't seen that happen in eons. But I have a ton -- I mean a ton --- of beads from February that I don't know what to do with (I helped a krewe with their setup).

I don't think so. Shoot me a link!

Fasnachts

I'm the one from Indiana... :D

I don't think so. Shoot me a link!

Back here. I'm not much of a photographer but these came out...

I'm the one from Indiana... :D

I know -- that was intentional. :funnyface:

I don't think I would like Mardi Gras...maybe when I was younger.
I much rather like small groups than large-public parties.

I watch travel shows sometimes, and I've seen some quaint little villages in Germany that look like they are frozen in time. Some really beautiful places in Germany. Looks cold though.

Germany is beautiful....but NOT as beautiful as Austria :smoke: I think we move from our several years in England this year, I want to go home, I get very homesick a lot, I want us to be permanently back in my nation.

Here are pictures of my nation:

austria - Google Search

Also we have another, very small neighbour, a gem of an Alpine nation called Slovenia, Slovenia looks very much like Austria:

slovenia - Google Search

Here is a map:

slovenia.jpg

Not to trash the thread with politics...your part of the world is fantastic Lucy...been there twice. But alas, I won't go back until the Muslim problem has been resolved. :(

Germany is beautiful....but NOT as beautiful as Austria :smoke: I think we move from our several years in England this year, I want to go home, I get very homesick a lot, I want us to be permanently back in my nation.

Here are pictures of my nation:

austria - Google Search

Also we have another, very small neighbour, a gem of an Alpine nation called Slovenia, Slovenia looks very much like Austria:

slovenia - Google Search

Here is a map:

slovenia.jpg

Lovely! I would much rather visit there than Mardi Gras any day!

Forum List

Back