What did you have for dinner?

Outsiders often misunderstand the R thing. One reason Hollywood actors so famously butcher the accent.
You mean like "New Joisey"?

Bernie Sanders has that accent, is that Brooklyn?
It's Jersey but more north Jersey. Brooklyn is similar. Car is cah. Like "Where did ya pock ya cah?"

It is Brooklyn actually. That's where he grew up.

So do Vermont people have a similar accent to Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maine etc?

Mr. Lucy is in the kitchen making a King Tiger Prawn Chow Mein with mangetout, water chestnuts, spring onions, Eryngii mushrooms (also known as King Oyster mushrooms)

Eryngii mushrooms are very good for you, they're full of zinc, iron, potassium, phosphorus, and folic acid, also they're a very good source of the mineral selenium.

So do Vermont people have a similar accent to Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maine etc?

Eh, not really. Maybe slightly like Maine. But there are so many immigrants in Vermont, it's diluted.
Meaning, immigrants from other states. I was one of them.

The NOLA accent has a slight Brooklyn thing about it, it's certainly NOT Southern.

Outsiders often misunderstand the R thing. One reason Hollywood actors so famously butcher the accent.

It's Jersey but more north Jersey. Brooklyn is similar. Car is cah. Like "Where did ya pock ya cah?"

I'm from Joisey, actually. Well, actually just since the 10th grade. So it's New Freakin Joisey to be correct.

I'm from Joisey, actually. Well, actually just since the 10th grade. So it's New Freakin Joisey to be correct.

So do you have a New Joisey accent still?

Negative. I was 16 when we got there, younger siblings have it but not as heavy as the natives. But we were in south Jersey, very different from the north.

Mr. Lucy is in the kitchen making a King Tiger Prawn Chow Mein with mangetout, water chestnuts, spring onions, Eryngii mushrooms (also known as King Oyster mushrooms)

Eryngii mushrooms are very good for you, they're full of zinc, iron, potassium, phosphorus, and folic acid, also they're a very good source of the mineral selenium.

Mr. Lucy also has made a Brandy Alexander Pie, he's just finished it and it's being put in the fridge overnight now.

Here's the recipe:

FOR THE BASE
  • 300 grams bourbon biscuits
  • 50 grams very dark chocolate (chopped)
  • 50 grams soft butter
FOR THE FILLING
  • 150 grams mini marshmallows
  • 125 millilitres full fat milk
  • 4 tablespoons brandy
  • 4 tablespoons creme de cacao
  • 375 millilitres double cream
  • a good grinding fresh nutmeg

METHOD
  1. Process the biscuits/cookies and chocolate with the butter until the mixture starts to clump together.
  2. Press into a high-sided 25cm/10 inch loose-bottomed flan tin and make a smooth base and sides with your hands or the back of a spoon. Put into the fridge to chill and harden.
  3. Melt the marshmallows in a saucepan with the milk over a gentle heat, once the milk starts to foam (not boil) take off the heat and keep stirring until the marshmallows blend into the milk to make a smooth mixture.
  4. Pour the mixture out of the saucepan into a bowl, and then whisk in the brandy and crème de cacao. Leave to cool.
  5. Once the marshmallow mixture is no longer warm, whisk the cream until it starts to hold soft peaks then, still whisking, add the cooled marshmallow mix. The filling should be thick but still soft, not stiff or dry, and should fall or drop easily out of the bowl into the chilled pie crust.
  1. Spread the filling into the tin, swirl it about with a palette knife to fill evenly, grate over some fresh nutmeg, generously enough to speckle the top, and put the assembled pie in the fridge to chill overnight or for a minimum of 4 hours.

Negative. I was 16 when we got there, younger siblings have it but not as heavy as the natives. But we were in south Jersey, very different from the north.

You now have a Washington State accent then?

You now have a Washington State accent then?
We don't have an accent. Everybody else does.

You can look it up -- he was born and raised in Brooklyn.

But here's a Jersey song consolation prize:

First time I played this tune on the air I got an incensed caller from Jersey cursing me out. But before I could even react I got a second call from another Jerseyan who thought it was hilarious.

Yep. South Jersey gets it from Philly. Think Chris Matthews.
I prolly sounded something like that before I trained for radio. Now I'm not even sure if I can do that accent any more.

Eh, not really. Maybe slightly like Maine. But there are so many immigrants in Vermont, it's diluted.

The NOLA accent has a slight Brooklyn thing about it, it's certainly NOT Southern.

You are correct Oosie, it has a similar diphthong and it's absolutely different from the South, even fifty miles away.
I grew up hearing the accents of my cousins/aunts/uncles in southern Mississippi, which is a very different accent from Appalacchia where I live now.

You are correct Oosie, it has a similar diphthong and it's absolutely different from the South, even fifty miles away.
I grew up hearing the accents of my cousins/aunts/uncles in southern Mississippi, which is a very different accent from Appalacchia where I live now.

So how did people in NOLA get this type of accent? Who brought it to them?

That is a very interesting story.

I prolly sounded something like that before I trained for radio. Now I'm not even sure if I can do that accent any more.
Chris Matthews speaks bald fatass constipated homo.

Chris Matthews speaks bald fatass constipated homo.

I see this is hard to follow for the kids in the back. I mean linguistically. He speaks Fluffyan.

There are different theories. Specifically the diphthong we're talking about is called the "coil-curl merger".

From Wiki:
>> The coil–curl merger is a vowel merger that historically occurred in some dialects of English. It is particularly associated with the early twentieth-century (but now extinct or moribund) dialects of New York City, New York; New Orleans, Louisiana; and Charleston, South Carolina.[16] In fact, in speakers born before World War I, this merger apparently predominated throughout older Southern U.S. speech, ranging from "South Carolina to Texas and north to eastern Arkansas and the southern edge of Kentucky."[17]

The merger caused the vowel classes associated with the General American phonemes /ɔɪ/, as in choice, and /ɝ/, as in nurse, to merge, making words like coil and curl, as well as voice and verse, homophones. The merged vowel was typically a diphthong [əɪ], with a mid central starting point (though sometimes [ɜɪ]), rather than the back rounded starting point of /ɔɪ/ of choice in most other accents of English. The merger happened only before a consonant; stir and boy never rhymed.[18]

The merger is responsible for the "Brooklynese" stereotypes of bird sounding like boid and thirty-third sounding like toity-toid. The songwriter Sam M. Lewis, a native New Yorker, rhymed returning with joining in the lyrics of the English-language version of Gloomy Sunday. <<
I have never been to Charleston but I have heard the conflation from older speakers. Just recently I noted it watching a historical video (1950s) from a speaker born and raised in Alabama, reflecting the bolded part above. It doesn't seem to be derived from Brooklyn, but existed concurrently with prominent Brooklyners perhaps claiming most of the spotlight, but in fact was already more widespread than that. On the other hand Bernie Sanders, who begat all this tangent, doesn't feature the coil-curl merger in his speech.

It can be acute in New Orleans though -- I remember hearing a local in New Orleans ask for --- either a "laser pointer" or a "laser printer". No one could establish which one he was talking about because, amazingly, in the Yat accent there is no difference in pronunciation between "pointer" and "printer". They are both pronounced "pernter", which isn't even a word. So you "pernt" in some direction, and you also "pernt" a document.

We should note the Yat is not the only accent in New Orleans. In contrast there's an "Uptown" upper-class accent that is much less distinctive with just a few telltale effects such as pronouncing the word "again" as "uh-gayn", rather than the more standard American English "uh-gyehn".

Anyone who pretends to be an expert in something but uses wiki as a source should be viewed with suspicion.

I jumped onto a training regimen this week so I'll be having the same meals every day for the next 6 weeks

Breakfast 1 egg, 4 oz lean ground turkey, spinach
Lunch 6 oz chicken, tuna or turkey,and greens
Dinner same as lunch

2 servings of berries a day

Forum List

Back