Zone1 What did you want to grow up to be?

Arlette

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2023
When I was a little girl I wanted to become a cowboy and have my own horse. I guess I was gender fluid back then or something. Anyways, I grew up to become a dental hygienist in small town Texas. Before that I was married to a business man from Dallas and in charge of his books, and I handled human resources. I had to fire people over the years and it always distressed me, even assholes who would drink or do drugs on the job. There were always other people involved, women and children. The grin on Trump's face when he says "you're fired" in his reality show is something that have me great pause when Trump appeared on the political scene

When I was a little girl I wanted to become a cowboy and have my own horse. I guess I was gender fluid back then or something. Anyways, I grew up to become a dental hygienist in small town Texas. Before that I was married to a business man from Dallas and in charge of his books, and I handled human resources. I had to fire people over the years and it always distressed me, even assholes who would drink or do drugs on the job. There were always other people involved, women and children. The grin on Trump's face when he says "you're fired" in his reality show is something that have me great pause when Trump appeared on the political scene
So anyway, we divorced a few years ago and I cleaned up pretty good. I got a nice three bedroom ranch house right on the river. There is now a BBQ pit and picnic tables for parties on the water. I take care of a small fruit orchard, apples mostly. I have a vegetable garden that gives me great pleasure. I have two wiener dogs and consider myself to be a childless dog lady. My parties are a big hit because I have lots of friends who are single. I like my job and I make good money. I blow through most of it though.

Retired, it sounded the best. Getting paid to do nothing.

So this May I moved my dad in with me. My parents divorced when I was eleven. My mother remarried and my dad moved in with Dolores. She would throw him out once a year or so. Anyways, he showed up broke and I moved him in. He still doesn't have his driver's license updated. He watches Fox News in his room and agrees with a lot of Trump stuff. I told him if he votes Trump he's gotta go. I don't care. Back to Dolores. An assisted living facility. Not under my roof.

Believe me, he doesn't want to go into some managed facility. He knows what Dolores is like, so I guess one fine day she's gonna show up and collect him for another year. If he wants to live under my roof he has to recant his beliefs and sin no more. I will be handling his mail in ballot.

Oh I love working. I'm going to Oklahoma City next week for a dental seminar.

I have a job I prefer to sitting in an office, but I much prefer doing nothing. I quit my job once with the intention of traveling in Africa for a year. Got bored after a couple of months and only stayed for 3 months, then went to Thailand with the intention of living there, too hot, so I went someone else, worked for 6 months, quit, then when back to doing what I was doing before.

I have a job I prefer to sitting in an office, but I much prefer doing nothing. I quit my job once with the intention of traveling in Africa for a year. Got bored after a couple of months and only stayed for 3 months, then went to Thailand with the intention of living there, too hot, so I went someone else, worked for 6 months, quit, then when back to doing what I was doing before.
As long as you like it, that's all it matters. I'm no way near retirement. I just upgraded to working in an office that specializes in gum disease. I make much better money and work only six hours a day. Sometimes I work Saturday. I take care of this place here. Now my dad helps me, but he needs a real side gig. Something like three days at Walmart. He gets SS.

The cowboys of my childhood hogged all the action. The cow girls just stayed at the ranch waiting. I wanted a gun and a horse and some damn action. I could get a horse, maybe. I got a barn and plenty of grass to munch on. And apples.

My dad of course didn't like it but I put my foot down and so far he hasn't packed his shit. He got really attached to my two dogs. They follow him anywhere and sleep in his room. He likes to putter around in the barn, there is a workshop with all kinds of tools. I also have a small greenhouse where I grow marijuana plants. He likes that he doesn't have to clock in at some warehouse and on occasion he picks up my grocery tab.

I'll bet he doesn't either.
Couldn't care less. I wish him well. He went bankrupt in 2010/11 when the housing market crashed. He's in construction. He rebuilt since then and is doing well. I know little about his personal situation other than that he's not married as well

Forum List

Back