What Happened, Miss Simone?

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
I had never heard of Nina Simone before watching this and I'm a bit surprised given the people that she was around. She was friends with Lorraine Hansberry. She was a musical artist in the Civil Rights era. The documentary is almost two hours long and it really doesn't do her life justice, Not sure that anyone's life can be fully examined in a mere two hours anyway. She started as a classical pianist was forced into jazz after she was denied entry into the Curtis Institute of Music because she was black. She hated doing jazz. She wanted to play classical music. What plays out in the background is her mental illness. She is diagnosed as bipolar later on. She is just a really interesting person.

I really didn't care for much of the music. Not a surprise. I am not a piano person. Not Debussy. Not Thelonious Monk. Not Nina Simone.

Until this:

She firmly believed that this song destroyed her career. I don't know enough about her to say that it didn't. What was portrayed in the documentary is that she made a lot of music of the struggles during this era that she felt very close to it but stopped making any money.

I think it could have been done better just not sure that I could sit through all of the piano music.

She started as a classical pianist was forced into jazz after she was denied entry into the Curtis Institute of Music because she was black.
Classical piano is namely white European classical piano. Not to exclude black people at all, but that genre of music pertains to classical white or Italian European culture. There are some extremely exclusive music schools in New York.
She hated doing jazz. She wanted to play classical music.
So a black woman loved white people's music. THey made life hell on earth for her. There are white people who love Chinese food or other ethnic cuisine, too. People can't always be expected to like the same kinds of music, food, art as their parents and relatives do.
What plays out in the background is her mental illness. She is diagnosed as bipolar later on. She is just a really interesting person.
So-called mental illness, whether a person is served or adjudicated with a diagnosis of bipolar or schizophrenia or other label, is nothing but another form of slavery or involuntary servitude that was not supposed to exist in the United States after the Civil War.

God damn those stateside attorneys at law, psychiatrists, and mental health pracitioners to hell indeed.
That the damnation of Egypt is 35 times that of Sodom and Gomorrah over which fire and brimstone rained down from the Lord out of heaven.

She started as a classical pianist was forced into jazz after she was denied entry into the Curtis Institute of Music because she was black.
Classical piano is namely white European classical piano. Not to exclude black people at all, but that genre of music pertains to classical white or Italian European culture. There are some extremely exclusive music schools in New York.
She hated doing jazz. She wanted to play classical music.
So a black woman loved white people's music. THey made life hell on earth for her. There are white people who love Chinese food or other ethnic cuisine, too. People can't always be expected to like the same kinds of music, food, art as their parents and relatives do.
What plays out in the background is her mental illness. She is diagnosed as bipolar later on. She is just a really interesting person.
So-called mental illness, whether a person is served or adjudicated with a diagnosis of bipolar or schizophrenia or other label, is nothing but another form of slavery or involuntary servitude that was not supposed to exist in the United States after the Civil War.

God damn those stateside attorneys at law, psychiatrists, and mental health pracitioners to hell indeed.
That the damnation of Egypt is 35 times that of Sodom and Gomorrah over which fire and brimstone rained down from the Lord out of heaven.
You know I have you on ignore, right?

I guess they ran out of "Civil Rights" celebs and now they are wasting their money on docu-dramas about fringe characters.

Forum List

Back