What in God's name is up with Google Chrome??

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I first noticed a bizarre happening on our UPS computer at work, I launched Chrome and Bing was the homepage. I se it back to Google... and just thought that was weird.
But then I bought Bonzi a new laptop. Setting it up I installed Chrome and what is this???.... Bing is the homepage. And even after you switch the homepage, Bing is now the default search engine if you search with the search bar... even if you are in Google.
What the hell is up with this?? Why on earth would a browser owned by Google default to Bing???

It makes no sense, which usually means there is something we don't know.
Bing was dead before it started. Everyone knows the first thing the vast-vast majority of new computer buyers do - is install either Chrome or Firefox and ditch Edge.
So by doing this, Google is essentially giving Bing a new life. That obviously makes no sense. Again, that means there is a reason out there that will make it make sense.

I use a Macbook Pro and Brave browser with Startpage as my default search engine, so I don't have any of those kinds of annoyances, but here's a solution to your issue...

Last edited:
I first noticed a bizarre happening on our UPS computer at work, I launched Chrome and Bing was the homepage. I se it back to Google... and just thought that was weird.
But then I bought Bonzi a new laptop. Setting it up I installed Chrome and what is this???.... Bing is the homepage. And even after you switch the homepage, Bing is now the default search engine if you search with the search bar... even if you are in Google.
What the hell is up with this?? Why on earth would a browser owned by Google default to Bing???
Seriously kid google it

Seriously kid google it
Seriously child, it is a brand new laptop. The browser couldn't possibly be hijacked.

Seriously kid google it
Seriously child, it is a brand new laptop. The browser couldn't possibly be hijacked.
Actually the brand new operating system did just that.

Google it kid, its all there

Seriously kid google it
Yes it can, it could have been loaded pre-hijacked.

Google redirects to Bing: Why it Happens and How to Fix

Seriously kid google it
Yes it can, it could have been loaded pre-hijacked.

Google redirects to Bing: Why it Happens and How to Fix
And it was... at first I didn't look into malware, cause like I say - I literally just took it out of the box. And it is brand new... not refurb or resale.
In the end, I installed and ran HiJackThis.... and there was the redirect.
It's fine now.

New Topics

Forum List

Back