What is so great about "The Big Green Monster?"

Sep 16, 2024
I get it about venerable old ballparks. I get the nostalgia. Wrigley is the greatest field I have ever visited, and I can't stand that team. I know that Fenway is the oldest park in the majors. I get that Ruth played there. I get that the--arguably--greatest hitter of all-time in Williams stood at that plate.

I visited Fenway and looked around plenty. I took it all in and then some.

But that ugly--oh so ugly--wall. The ugly green that shouldn't even have a shade name. The fake Yankee rivalry that barely--if ever-was. The dumb game six Fisk home run that still attempts to overcome not only the Reds game 7 win, but the comeback inspired by the sixth inning pep talk of Anderson--one of the most colorful managers ever.

No, don't tear down that park. It's great. It has a great history. But stop being the typically provincial and ignorant Bostonians.

And yes, please affix the hater label to this thread. :rock:

:biggrin:

Thank you for sharing such a personal and heartwarming story. You've given us all something to think about. I hope you feel better now that you got that off your chest.

Its just a ballpark with a gimmick. I guess the citizens of Boston like their historic park. Over time, when big money demands new, shiny and larger revenue, it will get replaced. I do remember the old Montreal forum, it was a sad day when they shut it down. Ditto for the old Chicago Stadium which was the loudest in the NHL by a mile, the acoustics were powerful. Same.with old Maple Leaf gardens,.all replaced now. In due time, the scary Green Monster, with its tempting double for righties and HR potential if you can lift a high fly ball; will be replaced by a soulless, state of the art stadium. It just requires that fans let go.

Its just a ballpark with a gimmick. I guess the citizens of Boston like their historic park. Over time, when big money demands new, shiny and larger revenue, it will get replaced. I do remember the old Montreal forum, it was a sad day when they shut it down. Ditto for the old Chicago Stadium which was the loudest in the NHL by a mile, the acoustics were powerful. Same.with old Maple Leaf gardens,.all replaced now. In due time, the scary Green Monster, with its tempting double for righties and HR potential if you can lift a high fly ball; will be replaced by a soulless, state of the art stadium. It just requires that fans let go.
The wall was actually built that way to minimize baseballs flying onto Lansdowne St. A lot of parks did this. Perhaps the most famous park to fit an odd shaped area was the Polo Grounds.

I don't follow hockey a lot, but enough to know that Montreal and the Maple Leafs are not the dominant teams of the past. Do you think this is just the cycle of history, or, do you think management has something to do with it?

Fenway_Park_grande.jpg

The wall was actually built that way to minimize baseballs flying onto Lansdowne St. A lot of parks did this. Perhaps the most famous park to fit an odd shaped area was the Polo Grounds.

I don't follow hockey a lot, but enough to know that Montreal and the Maple Leafs are not the dominant teams of the past. Do you think this is just the cycle of history, or, do you think management has something to do with it?

Fenway_Park_grande.jpg

Montreal and Toronto continue to fail because the nation doesn't know how to win anymore. They are bloated, wealthy corporations now, the spirit of sports is dead. In Toronto hard work and sacrifice is replaced by a team of skills competition champs.

Montreal made it to the finals a few years ago, shocking everyone. However, it was during covid, so there weren't fans and they had to win basically the Canadian division as the league was cut into two countries. They lost in the finals. They should have lost to the Leafs in the first round but Leafs blew a 3-1 series lead, including losing two straight OT games, They also lost to the Bruins last year game 7 in OT.

I get it about venerable old ballparks. I get the nostalgia. Wrigley is the greatest field I have ever visited, and I can't stand that team. I know that Fenway is the oldest park in the majors. I get that Ruth played there. I get that the--arguably--greatest hitter of all-time in Williams stood at that plate.

I visited Fenway and looked around plenty. I took it all in and then some.

But that ugly--oh so ugly--wall. The ugly green that shouldn't even have a shade name. The fake Yankee rivalry that barely--if ever-was. The dumb game six Fisk home run that still attempts to overcome not only the Reds game 7 win, but the comeback inspired by the sixth inning pep talk of Anderson--one of the most colorful managers ever.

No, don't tear down that park. It's great. It has a great history. But stop being the typically provincial and ignorant Bostonians.

And yes, please affix the hater label to this thread. :rock:

:biggrin:
1727352058031.png

Forum List

Back