What Is The Best Way to Make Chicken and Dumplings?

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
Asking because there's an old secret family recipe that I'm not allowed to know. 😆

As I can't make it as good as my mom can. JohnDB, another thread that I need your help with. 😁

The first question you probably want to ask yourself is how will you make the dumplings?
  1. As leavened drop dumplings that puff up?
  2. As rolled-out dumplings? Or
  3. As biscuit dumplings.

Well I was fed number 1 all of the time when I was a kid but that's the secret family recipe one that even I don't know.

Biscuit dumplings.

Get some Bisquik, because unless you live in the deep south, you can't find the right flour for good biscuits.

I always use Bisquick. That was what the old secret family recipe made. Really good Bisquick dumplings. 😋

Diced Carrots, onion, celery and chicken as the soup basics, lightly brown the chicken in oil, take out, then saute the veggies in that oil left from Browning the chicken till soft. Add all ingredients to pot, and water, salt and pepper, to cover the chicken and veggies and cook your soup...when done drop in your dumplings...

I make an easy peasy dumpling out of equal parts self rising flour and sour cream, 1 cup/1 cup and if you don't have sour cream,plain yogurt works too...

And make rolls and pinch dumplings in to the boiling soup...they will float to the top when done.

Diced Carrots, onion, celery and chicken as the soup basics, lightly brown the chicken in oil, take out, then saute the veggies in that oil left from Browning the chicken till soft. Add all ingredients to pot, and water, salt and pepper, to cover the chicken and veggies and cook your soup...when done drop in your dumplings...

I make an easy peasy dumpling out of equal parts self rising flour and sour cream, 1 cup/1 cup and if you don't have sour cream,plain yogurt works too...

And make rolls and pinch dumplings in to the boiling soup...they will float to the top when done.

Can you make it without the onions and celery though?

Try adding the mashed up yoke of a hard boiled egg to the broth.

Can you make it without the onions and celery though?
Not really. The combination is known as mirepoix and is the base for almost all western soups. Traditionally 1:2:1 carrots, onion, celery. Dice the veggies fine and saute in clarified butter until they're soft.

Add your chicken broth and chicken pieces, simmer till the chicken is tender. Drop in the dumplings and simmer for another ten minutes or until the dumplings are fluffy.

Remove the dumplings and the chicken to bowls, set them aside and keep warm. Strain the broth through a china cap or mesh strainer, pressing out all the juices from the veggies, and discard the solids. Put the broth back on the burner and bring it back to a simmer, tighten with butter roux or white roux until it's thick enough to coat a spoon, and simmer for about ten minutes to get rid of any starchiness. Add the chicken back in and top with the dumplings, and serve.

Then I'm screwed because I don't like onions and celery.

Aww, RR! You must not be cooking them right! Celery is the quintessential ingredient to most beef-based soups and stews! Not just for the flavor it adds, but because the celery then takes on the flavor of the broth. But celery must be cooked right so that it still has a bit of its crunchiness while being cooked enough to make it soft.

And onions? Have you tried sweet onions? My buddy used to take me to a place that made hot onions--- it was basically a plate full of caramelized chopped onions stewed in a very hot, tangy sauce. You can't beat a good onion, no hamburger is quite right without a slice of onion, or eggs made without sauted onions and hot peppers, and forget about not having it with any Syrian dishes like Hummus B'Tahini!

Maybe you guys are right but I only eat my cheeseburgers with ketchup and mustard.

Forum List

Back