🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What is your understanding of the atonement, crucifixion, and resurrection of Jesus Christ

onefour1

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2014
We Christians teach of the necessity of the atonement, crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ. In your view, why was all this necessary? If God the Father is all powerful, all knowing, and an all loving being, why couldn't he just forgive us if we repented? What was all the suffering for? What is the deep meaning, in your opinion, behind this great sacrifice? Why was it necessary?

This result of combining astrological symbolism, historical influence, and the human imagination is indeed fascinating.

As is how successful the story of Jesus has been in controlling, indoctrinating, manipulating, exploiting, and brainwashing billions and billions of humans.

Last edited:
We Christians teach of the necessity of the atonement, crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ. In your view, why was all this necessary? If God the Father is all powerful, all knowing, and an all loving being, why couldn't he just forgive us if we repented? What was all the suffering for? What is the deep meaning, in your opinion, behind this great sacrifice? Why was it necessary?

Jesus needed to die for one reason. God is a perfect and JUST God. Justice demands that a price be paid for disobedience. Jesus paid that price for us. We could not pay that price ourselves. Only Jesus could. This is why so many reject God. They refuse to accept the fact that they are sinners. They want to be their own God. They do not want to accept that they must repent and and ask forgiveness. In other words, they reject Him because of pride. They make excuses for their unbelief, but it all comes down to pride.

What was all the suffering for? What is the deep meaning, in your opinion, behind this great sacrifice? Why was it necessary?

All good yarns depend upon conflict in order to hold the reader's attention.

The good guy is captured by the bad guys and is punished. The good guy escapes in the end so everyone is happy. Pretty much the standard plot of most stories, movies, TV shows, etc.

As far as "deep meaning" goes that is a horse of a different color. How many people believed in magic after reading Harry Potter? A good story is believable. Doesn't matter whether it is a historical romance or a science fiction novel. The reader buys into the story and believes it to be plausible. Once you get that far you then start having fan clubs. Fan clubs become self fulfilling. Cults have begun with less. Just look at what Joseph Smith managed to build with a plausible story about some "golden plates".

So my understanding is that it was a great yarn that took on a life of it's own once it gained a cult following. Everyone has a right to believe in whatever they want and I uphold their right. But the adage about not believing everything you read applies to everything that is written with no exceptions. There are those who claim that the bible is the word of God but if that sounds too good to be true then it probably isn't.

Peace
DT

I never got what I considered a reasonable explanation for all that brutality, suffering and then resurrection of the physical body of Jesus. If you can provide one, then please do. Happy Easter.

I never got what I considered a reasonable explanation for all that brutality, suffering and then resurrection of the physical body of Jesus. If you can provide one, then please do. Happy Easter.

Well here is the shorthand...it's a bit more complicated, but this is the nuts and bolts of it. Prior to Jesus, for the common Joe to 'get to God' so to speak and be cleansed of sin, he had to go through the Temple and the priests. He had to give sacrifice, which was usually an animal of some sort (often a lamb), pay the Temple tax and the priests would pray on his behalf for forgiveness. According to Christian thought, Jesus became the sacrifice for all mankind which is why He is often called 'The Lamb of God'. Thus one no longer needs to go through the priests or a church. Because of Jesus, the sacrifice has been made....Jesus became the sacrificial animal in ritual. Now you can go straight to God and gain forgiveness directly from Him

"Jesus became the sacrificial animal in ritual. Now you can go straight to God and gain forgiveness directly from Him."

Really, guys, you don't need Porker's or Mr. Right's nonsense stories.

Well here is the shorthand...it's a bit more complicated, but this is the nuts and bolts of it. Prior to Jesus, for the common Joe to 'get to God' so to speak and be cleansed of sin, he had to go through the Temple and the priests. He had to give sacrifice, which was usually an animal of some sort (often a lamb), pay the Temple tax and the priests would pray on his behalf for forgiveness. According to Christian thought, Jesus became the sacrifice for all mankind which is why He is often called 'The Lamb of God'. Thus one no longer needs to go through the priests or a church. Because of Jesus, the sacrifice has been made. Now you can go straight to God and gain forgiveness directly from Him

This is why I have a serious problem with the catholic church. They claim that the pope is our intercessor with God.

Jesus is our intermediary with God. This is what the Bible teaches. So, in effect, the pope is taking the place of Jesus.

"Jesus became the sacrificial animal in ritual. Now you can go straight to God and gain forgiveness directly from Him."

The truth is often called nonsense by fools.

"What is your understanding of the atonement, crucifixion, and resurrection of Jesus Christ"

It's not an 'understanding,' it's a fact that the resurrection myth is an amalgam of ancient myths and legends: Zoroastrianism, Mithraism, and Hellenistic philosophical traditions are the primary contributors to the myth; indeed, the notion if a deity 'dying' and being 'reborn' us utterly ancient, well predating the advent of Christianity.

Well here is the shorthand...it's a bit more complicated, but this is the nuts and bolts of it. Prior to Jesus, for the common Joe to 'get to God' so to speak and be cleansed of sin, he had to go through the Temple and the priests. He had to give sacrifice, which was usually an animal of some sort (often a lamb), pay the Temple tax and the priests would pray on his behalf for forgiveness. According to Christian thought, Jesus became the sacrifice for all mankind which is why He is often called 'The Lamb of God'. Thus one no longer needs to go through the priests or a church. Because of Jesus, the sacrifice has been made. Now you can go straight to God and gain forgiveness directly from Him

This is why I have a serious problem with the catholic church. They claim that the pope is our intercessor with God.

Jesus is our intermediary with God. This is what the Bible teaches. So, in effect, the pope is taking the place of Jesus.

Well that's exactly why Martin Luther nailed 95 complaints against the Church on the door of a Wittenberg church. He was saying 'hey guys...this is bullshit. The Church has corrupted the Word, rendered the sacrifice obsolete, and become the very institution Christianity is supposed to be against.' They would have killed him for it had they gotten their hands on him. But essentially that is why we experienced the Protestant Reformation. The Church had created a corrupt intercessor which made the sacrifice of Jesus meaningless

"What is your understanding of the atonement, crucifixion, and resurrection of Jesus Christ"

It's not an 'understanding,' it's a fact that the resurrection myth is an amalgam of ancient myths and legends: Zoroastrianism, Mithraism, and Hellenistic philosophical traditions are the primary contributors to the myth; indeed, the notion if a deity 'dying' and being 'reborn' us utterly ancient, well predating the advent of Christianity.
That theory has been debunked numerous times. The story of Jesus is unique in all of history.

To save us from ourselves...

How about a hint of what that is supposed to mean? The reality of how it is celebrated is that Jesus died so we could eat chocolate bunnies and hunt colored eggs. The truly devout among us also get a new hat to wear to church.

Indeed, Jesus does not need your foolishness.
What are you doing here? This is a religious discussion. You are not discussing anything. You are simply being a clueless troll, hurling insults. Is that all you have, or do you have something useful to contribute?

What are you doing here? This is a religious discussion. You are not discussing anything. You are simply being a clueless troll, hurling insults. Is that all you have, or do you have something useful to contribute?
Nonsense, troll. You are a social con heretic who has no clue of what Jesus and His role is here on Earth.

Nonsense, troll. You are a social con heretic who has no clue of what Jesus and His role is here on Earth.
Correct me, if I'm wrong, but aren't you an atheist?

Forum List

Back