What spending cuts are the dems willing to make?

By your own charts, receipts in 2003 were 1,780 and in 2009 they were 2,105.

So? From 2000 to 2003 receipts dropped every year and that was when Bush was cutting taxes. Receipts did not return to pre-tax amounts until 2005 and have never equaled the percentage of GDP that Clinton left.

The budget as a percentage of GDP was much smaller in the 50's and 60's and, the rates of increases in spending were nowhere near what they are today.

Ok. But then, that means that if we hold spending constant and grow our GDP then we can match that percentage and do it without cuts. Why not do that?

Oh, so the answer is to raise taxes and jack up spending? Because that is what is being proposed.

By that logic, tax rates will at some point be 100%. Then what?

:lol:

Then you just print more money until everyone has Unicorns Farting Rainbows.

4924736342_a16a73cb3b.jpg

Oh, so the answer is to raise taxes and jack up spending?

Reread my response and try again.

It's the republicans who refuse to budge. Why the resistance to an increase in revenue? Why are they sending our nations capitol upwards and then asking the poor to make up for the budget shortfall?

It's evil.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., abandoned the budget talks Thursday, saying congressional Democrats continued to press for part of the $2.4 trillion in savings to come from fresh revenue, or taxes.

Democratic leaders wanted as much as $400 billion in new taxes on corporations and the nation's richest households, The Washington Post said.

Also walking from the talks was Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., representing Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., saying Republicans would not give in to a Democratic push for new revenues.

Why? Why is it giving in when it is the responsible thing to do? Why do they go to such lengths to protect the wealthy and give them more and more of our nation’s wealth?

The republicans are proving yet again that they are the enemy of the middle class. If they want to continue their class warfare it's high time the middle class started to fight back.

Last edited:

Cut tax breaks to billionaires for one.

2994934040_030a9f8ffb_o.gif

Second, stop taking money from Blue States and giving it to Red States. It's not our fault that Republicans, Rednecks and Conservatives are the laziest people on earth and don't know anything about money. It's not our fault and I'm sick and tired of seeing my tax money fund those people who keep threatening to secede. Let them. Good riddance.
Where should the dems cut? Red states obviously.

We know that Obama's 1st budget got shot down in the Senate with no votes at all for it. He has not put forth another one, nor has the dems inthe House or the Senate to compare with the House budget. They talk about reducing spending, how are they planning to do that? What do they think can be cut? And what kind of leadership doesn't put up an alternative budget? That's lame guys, really lame.

This is what the American people should be willing to cut from our budget.
I am willing to bite the bullet. I'll give up foreign aid to any and all countries, if they are our friends as they claim they will understand, if not fuck them. The next thing I'm willing to give up is all military bases overseas, close them all. With aircraft carriers today, overseas military operations will happen from foreign bases. I'm willing to take the hit from China, let them retaliate, but we are going to defend ourselves financially by all means. When all those things are done and all foreign handouts have ended then and only then should the American public ever consider eliminating social programs or raise taxes on anyone.

This is what the American people should be willing to cut from our budget.
I am willing to bite the bullet. I'll give up foreign aid to any and all countries, if they are our friends as they claim they will understand, if not fuck them. The next thing I'm willing to give up is all military bases overseas, close them all. With aircraft carriers today, overseas military operations will happen from foreign bases. I'm willing to take the hit from China, let them retaliate, but we are going to defend ourselves financially by all means. When all those things are done and all foreign handouts have ended then and only then should the American public ever consider eliminating social programs or raise taxes on anyone.

I'm down with this as the first to get cut.

Wipe out the Bush tax cuts and there is no need to cut anything. Then get out of Iraq and Afghanistan and we run a surplus.

Wipe out the Bush tax cuts and there is no need to cut anything. Then get out of Iraq and Afghanistan and we run a surplus.

Really? There wouldn't be enough revenue from taxing people more to balance the budget, not to mention drawing the debt down. But, it makes for a nice sound bite for the aloof.

There is going to have to be some real serious spending cuts before taxes increase, IMO.
Anything short of that will just prove to be empty words from our politicians.....we get a lot of that these days.

We know that Obama's 1st budget got shot down in the Senate with no votes at all for it. He has not put forth another one, nor has the dems inthe House or the Senate to compare with the House budget. They talk about reducing spending, how are they planning to do that? What do they think can be cut? And what kind of leadership doesn't put up an alternative budget? That's lame guys, really lame.

They do not intend to cut spending one red cent. I believe the over all plan is to refuse to pass any big budget Items in the Senate and then try and convince the House to just renew the budget from 2 years ago.

While the talks were on hold, a small political party claiming to represent "a synthesis of the Republican, Democratic, Libertarian and Green parties" proposed "a minimal 50-cent transaction fee on all stock trades" as a way of raising money.

"This simple action will generate approximately $300 billion a year," the Light Party said in a statement.

The party, which has headquarters in Mill Valley, Calif., near San Francisco, also proposed "a flat tax on currency movements as proposed by [late] Nobel laureate [economist] James Tobin of Yale University."

"A small levy of 1 percent would have virtually no effect on global capital flow and will generate $3 trillion annually for sustainable international economic development," the party said.

3 trillion annually is a lot of capital.

Really? There wouldn't be enough revenue from taxing people more to balance the budget, not to mention drawing the debt down. But, it makes for a nice sound bite for the aloof.

There's no need to pay down the debt. In fact, since 2/3 of that debt is owed to Americans who are holding bonds as investment vehicles, paying down the debt would actually hurt investors.

As for the assertion on tax receipts, if we go back to 20% of GDP for tax revenue, that's almost $3T right now, which means the deficit drops to $700B. End the wars and we can get down to, what, $550B in deficit or so. Yes, that's not a surplus, but what a great start to balancing the budget! At that point, you could actually do the rest with minor tax increases if you wanted to.

While the talks were on hold, a small political party claiming to represent "a synthesis of the Republican, Democratic, Libertarian and Green parties" proposed "a minimal 50-cent transaction fee on all stock trades" as a way of raising money.

"This simple action will generate approximately $300 billion a year," the Light Party said in a statement.

The party, which has headquarters in Mill Valley, Calif., near San Francisco, also proposed "a flat tax on currency movements as proposed by [late] Nobel laureate [economist] James Tobin of Yale University."

"A small levy of 1 percent would have virtually no effect on global capital flow and will generate $3 trillion annually for sustainable international economic development," the party said.

3 trillion annually is a lot of capital.

SO you are down with the US Government taxing you up front and then every time I access your bank account taking 1 percent of what ever transaction you do?

You do realize that all Business would raise prices to cover that 1 percent loss? SO not only would you be paying 1 dollar on every hundred you took out of your own account, but everything and I do mean EVERYTHING would cost more.

Is that what MSNBC told you? LOL

you need to learn some basic Math. Ending the Bush Tax Cuts, and Ending Both Wars would not EVEN COME CLOSE to balancing the Budget let alone giving us a surplus.

Your Boy Obama has increased Discretionary Spending by 26%, That 26% alone is more than the Wars and tax cuts combined.

Last edited:

Cut tax breaks to billionaires for one.

2994934040_030a9f8ffb_o.gif

Second, stop taking money from Blue States and giving it to Red States. It's not our fault that Republicans, Rednecks and Conservatives are the laziest people on earth and don't know anything about money. It's not our fault and I'm sick and tired of seeing my tax money fund those people who keep threatening to secede. Let them. Good riddance.

You sound like your ready for the next civil war, deen'o. It's a lot more complicated than your red/blue/gray list. I bet you haven't even gone further into it than looking at the colors and numbers, huh? :cuckoo:

There's no need to pay down the debt. In fact, since 2/3 of that debt is owed to Americans who are holding bonds as investment vehicles, paying down the debt would actually hurt investors..

Another person who has no idea what they are talking about. The Truth is one of the Biggest Chunks of the Debt is actually in the form of Government IOU's wrote to the SS "slush" Fund.

That most definitely does need to be paid down.

There's no need to pay down the debt. In fact, since 2/3 of that debt is owed to Americans who are holding bonds as investment vehicles, paying down the debt would actually hurt investors.

As for the assertion on tax receipts, if we go back to 20% of GDP for tax revenue, that's almost $3T right now, which means the deficit drops to $700B. End the wars and we can get down to, what, $550B in deficit or so. Yes, that's not a surplus, but what a great start to balancing the budget! At that point, you could actually do the rest with minor tax increases if you wanted to.
Usually when people use numbers to prove their point on this issue....it's using the rosiest of numbers and usually fall far short. That's exactly what the government does when they sell their bills to the American citizen. Take Obamacare for an example....another would be medicare.

Not to mention that it is not as simple as saying if we let the Bush Tax Cuts Expire we will gain x amount of Revenue. Despite what liberals say. The Raising of those Taxes will most definitely have some cooling effect on the Economy. The Increase in Revenue will never be near the Amount Liberals claim the Tax Cuts are costing each year. They know it, History shows it, They just don't want you to think about that.

Your Boy Obama has increased Discretionary Spending by 26%

Inflated numbers are inflated. Your counting the Recovery Act in there, which obviously won't be an every year expense.

No I am not counting the Recovery Act. Were talking only Regular Annual Discretionary Spending sir. He has committed us to spending 26% more every year than we were when Bush left office. Over and above the Recovery Act.

Or did you ignore his Budgets?

What do you think Republicans are talking about when they say lets return to 2008 levels? There not referring to the Stimulus spending. There saying lets roll back the 26% in new Annual Spending Obama has signed us up for in his budgets.

Last edited:
There's no need to pay down the debt. In fact, since 2/3 of that debt is owed to Americans who are holding bonds as investment vehicles, paying down the debt would actually hurt investors..

Another person who has no idea what they are talking about. The Truth is one of the Biggest Chunks of the Debt is actually in the form of Government IOU's wrote to the SS "slush" Fund.

That most definitely does need to be paid down.

Debt held by the public is $9.7T and Intragovernmental holdings are $4.6T. Yes, the SS part needs to be re-paid and yes it is a big chunk, but clearly there is a LARGE portion owed to the public that does not need to be paid down.

Forum List

Back