What's a Router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm operating on a Samsung tablet with Hotspot that I get through USCellular. The internet regularly cuts out when the tablet still shows I have a normal strength signal. I tried googling the problem and while a lot of it might as well have been in Chinese, it did say it might be the router.

So what's a router? Is it inside my tablet? Or is their server getting jammed up with a lot of traffic (it happens during after dinner hours, mostly).
If there something that looks something like this in your home, that is your router.
us-cellular-4g-lte-router1.jpg

a545f253-7190-4695-b3f6-e84730e01b4b_1.69cbc63a57ca2b0462a52c6f44f6c600.png

203958_front_large.png

Last edited:
I'm operating on a Samsung tablet with Hotspot that I get through USCellular. The internet regularly cuts out when the tablet still shows I have a normal strength signal. I tried googling the problem and while a lot of it might as well have been in Chinese, it did say it might be the router.

So what's a router? Is it inside my tablet? Or is their server getting jammed up with a lot of traffic (it happens during after dinner hours, mostly).
It's the thingy that talks to the doohickey, connecting you to the whatchamacallit, providing a direct connection to the worldwide thingamajig.
[URL=/gif/lucy-van-pelt-thats-it-WRy6wr][/URL]

If there something that looks something like this in your home, that is your router.

203958_front_large.png
That's the alpha thingamabob someone mentioned awhile ago. I googled it. Looks like rabbit ears, to me. But I got the impression that wasn't going to solve my problem. You guys are lapsing into Chinese. I'm hanging on to the theory that it's sucky provider service, nothing wrong with the tablet, probably a lot of folks all on at the same time...

No

If you're getting internet from your phone service, therefore getting it from a cell tower -- then you don't have a router. The same issue you're having could be the router (or modem) IF you were set up that way, but you're apparently not, so disregard that avenue.

Of course, if your internet is out, then you're not reading this, so you can disregard this post too.....
No, doing well tonight. Only have had to reboot once.

203958_front_large.png
That's the alpha thingamabob someone mentioned awhile ago. I googled it. Looks like rabbit ears, to me. But I got the impression that wasn't going to solve my problem. You guys are lapsing into Chinese. I'm hanging on to the theory that it's sucky provider service, nothing wrong with the tablet, probably a lot of folks all on at the same time...
My broadband service provider is Buckeye Cablesystem, the fastest and most reliable in the area. And I still have occasions where it cuts out repeatedly when they are doing maintenance. But they usually do maintenance between 3 and 6 AM. Never during peak traffic hours.

As others stated you are not connected to your own router you are picking up your providers hotspot but so are a zillion other people cluttering the network. Sometimes providers have timeouts and kick you off, other times it's traffic and sometimes it's your distance from their signal, in which case an Alfa wifi adapter will help get you better stronger more solid connections, however some tablets have trouble connecting those wifi adapters or installing their drivers.
In fact your settings might be affecting your steady connection, research how to correct your wifi settings or download a automated software program the searches your settings and recommends new settings.
With Phone tower data and Wifi signals placement and direction of your device can make a huge difference as well.
In my totally uninformed opinion, it appeared to me to be traffic related, too.
Yeah today I was getting a whopping 24kb per second, below 2G. Everyone was either calling family, or buying online BF deals. *L*
When using data (with it on) you can switch towers to find one with less traffick by turning on airplane mode for a few seconds then off and your signal searches and changes towers.

As others stated you are not connected to your own router you are picking up your providers hotspot but so are a zillion other people cluttering the network. Sometimes providers have timeouts and kick you off, other times it's traffic and sometimes it's your distance from their signal, in which case an Alfa wifi adapter will help get you better stronger more solid connections, however some tablets have trouble connecting those wifi adapters or installing their drivers.
In fact your settings might be affecting your steady connection, research how to correct your wifi settings or download a automated software program the searches your settings and recommends new settings.
With Phone tower data and Wifi signals placement and direction of your device can make a huge difference as well.
In my totally uninformed opinion, it appeared to me to be traffic related, too.
Yeah today I was getting a whopping 24kb per second, below 2G. Everyone was either calling family, or buying online BF deals. *L*
When using data (with it on) you can switch towers to find one with less traffick by turning on airplane mode for a few seconds then off and your signal searches and changes towers.

The router is the device that connects your local IP network (all the devices in your home or office) to the actual Internet.

Your tablet will connect to it via WiFi and that device will pass the data back and forth to your broadband provider.
So it's something USCellular has somewhere, not in my tablet?

No, not in your tablet.
I really appreciate this. Where is this device connecting me to the internet?

That is your hotspot. Are you using your phone as a hotspot?
I have a landline for my phone service (not through USCellular). This tablet does have a phone number, though. I have no idea why.

Only devices that connect to a cellular network (or a landline phone network) have phone numbers.

If your landline phone is connected to the traditional landline phone network then it has nothing to do with your tablet. If, however, your phone is connected to your broadband modem (also known as a router), then the same device provides service for your voice calls and your data.

If, as you say above, your connectivity remains strong even when you're having Internet problems, then your problem is not with the WiFi connection to your hotspot.

Is your connection to the Internet slow or completely stopped?
Stopped. Usually just for a few minutes, but once it starts it will happen frequently for hours. Very annoying when I'm in the middle of something, and the brains don't remember what you were doing, either. I have to start over from scratch.

Is there a device in your house that provides the hotspot, or is it device outside your house?
There is no device in or outside my house.

The hotspot you connect to is the device. Since you don't know where it is, I'm going to assume its a device provided by USCellular for public Internet.

Public Internet is notoriously poor quality. Way too many people using it for the bandwidth provided (that's called over-subscription).

Is it possible to get broadband into your home? You'll find it opens up a world of Internet options, you can connect your smart TV to it and stream Netflix and other services. You can have cameras and smart devices connected to it and monitor and control things in your home from anywhere.

But, even if you don't want to use those services, you will find the quality of your connection improves significantly if you aren't using a public device.
Your a right 'oracle' of knowledge on technology matters aren't you? So how come you talk bollocks about everything else?
Hey none of that in my thread!

Trouble maker!

The router is the device that connects your local IP network (all the devices in your home or office) to the actual Internet.

Your tablet will connect to it via WiFi and that device will pass the data back and forth to your broadband provider.
So it's something USCellular has somewhere, not in my tablet?

No, not in your tablet.
I really appreciate this. Where is this device connecting me to the internet?

That is your hotspot. Are you using your phone as a hotspot?
I have a landline for my phone service (not through USCellular). This tablet does have a phone number, though. I have no idea why.

Only devices that connect to a cellular network (or a landline phone network) have phone numbers.

If your landline phone is connected to the traditional landline phone network then it has nothing to do with your tablet. If, however, your phone is connected to your broadband modem (also known as a router), then the same device provides service for your voice calls and your data.

If, as you say above, your connectivity remains strong even when you're having Internet problems, then your problem is not with the WiFi connection to your hotspot.

Is your connection to the Internet slow or completely stopped?
Stopped. Usually just for a few minutes, but once it starts it will happen frequently for hours. Very annoying when I'm in the middle of something, and the brains don't remember what you were doing, either. I have to start over from scratch.

Is there a device in your house that provides the hotspot, or is it device outside your house?
There is no device in or outside my house.

The hotspot you connect to is the device. Since you don't know where it is, I'm going to assume its a device provided by USCellular for public Internet.

Public Internet is notoriously poor quality. Way too many people using it for the bandwidth provided (that's called over-subscription).

Is it possible to get broadband into your home? You'll find it opens up a world of Internet options, you can connect your smart TV to it and stream Netflix and other services. You can have cameras and smart devices connected to it and monitor and control things in your home from anywhere.

But, even if you don't want to use those services, you will find the quality of your connection improves significantly if you aren't using a public device.
Your a right 'oracle' of knowledge on technology matters aren't you? So how come you talk bollocks about everything else?
Hey none of that in my thread!

Trouble maker!
It's called a joke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back