Whatz Yer Fav. Western Movie and Why?

B. Kidd

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2010
Western Lands
Non-western movie fans need not apply.

Mine is Sam Peckinpah's old film, THE WILD BUNCH.

It was not only ahead of its' time for the few glimpses of 'mamacita hispanic tits', but the plot was full of scurrolous(not really a word?) characters with great actors.

The movie made me think what it might have been like for the founding fathers of our country. Put into a position that they did not really want to be in, outnumbered, facing certain death, and they did their best.

It was not only ahead of its' time for the few glimpses of 'mamacita hispanic tits', but the plot was full of scurrolous(not really a word?) characters with great actors.

The movie made me think what it might have been like for the founding fathers of our country. Put into a position that they did not really want to be in, outnumbered, facing certain death, and they did their best.

Not counting Lonesome Dove, which technically wasn't a movie then it's "High Noon" without a doubt.

Why? Because it was a unique take on cinematography (shot in real time) and it also down played the romanticism of the old west and made it more realistic and Gary Cooper is beyond believable in the role. Nothing magical about the plot, just a scared sheriff trying to track down anyone to help him stand up against three men who want to kill him (or skip town) and finding no help.

I liked "Unforgiven" for the same reasons (it seemed more realistic).

You know, I also like "The Assassination of Jesse James" too, though it got blasted.

I know this is blasphomous, but I can't stand John Wayne movies. I just think they are corny.

Not counting Lonesome Dove, which technically wasn't a movie then it's "High Noon" without a doubt.

Why? Because it was a unique take on cinematography (shot in real time) and it also down played the romanticism of the old west and made it more realistic and Gary Cooper is beyond believable in the role. Nothing magical about the plot, just a scared sheriff trying to track down anyone to help him stand up against three men who want to kill him (or skip town) and finding no help.

I liked "Unforgiven" for the same reasons (it seemed more realistic).

You know, I also like "The Assassination of Jesse James" too, though it got blasted.

I know this is blasphomous, but I can't stand John Wayne movies. I just think they are corny.

'High Noon', can dig it. I also like 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance', cause John Wayne saved the scared man's ass, Jimmy Stewart, who happened to be a politician, in that one. Don't necessarily dismiss John Wayne, not only because of that, but also his last movie 'The Shootist', was a case of art imitating life.

So many great ones...So hard to pick....So many truly great flix...

Duke movies...True Grit, Rooster Cogburn, The Cowboys, The Shootist.

The Clint Eastwood epic, Outlaw Josey Wales.

The uproarious Support Your Local Sheriff, Blazing Saddles and Trinity is Still My Name.

Push comes to shove and I go with...

Once Upon a Time in the West...An epic and masterpiece in every sense of the words.

So many great ones...So hard to pick....So many truly great flix...

Duke movies...True Grit, Rooster Cogburn, The Cowboys, The Shootist.

The Clint Eastwood epic, Outlaw Josey Wales.

The uproarious Support Your Local Sheriff, Blazing Saddles and Trinity is Still My Name.

Push comes to shove and I go with...

Once Upon a Time in the West...An epic and masterpiece in every sense of the words.

'Outlaw Josey Wales' in my top five. Some dog lovers hated it cause he used the hounds' forehead as a spitoon. I thought that just made it more realistic. 'Josey Wales', one mean summabitch! :bowdown:

My personal favorite is "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance".

It was directed by John Ford and stars John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Lee Marvin. Why do I like it? Because it is an epic tale of one man stepping aside for the sake of a better man and a better world, at great personal cost. See it.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Hey Dude,

Don't to this day know how to rate 'Once Upon A Time in The West'. Henry Fonda as a childkiller, his eyes were never bluer than in this movie. The incessant harmonica playing of Charles Bronson, it still echoes in my ears as I type this. The opening scene where the pesky fly is buggin' Jack Elam at the train station, that scene alone, a cinematic masterpiece.......

I have it on DVD, sparingly watch it, cause I fight digesting it, cause it IS the most evil western ever made, and it disturbs me.

But, now that you mentioned it, I'll watch it again, soon.

I like it best because of the relative sparseness of dialogue to tell the great, albeit a tad cliche, story.

Sergio Leone really let the cinematography do the storytelling.

My youngest brother hates it, because he actually has to sit down, shut up, and watch the movie to follow the story....
IM not-all-HO, that's the best testimonial it could be given.

I like it best because of the relative sparseness of dialogue to tell the great, albeit a tad cliche, story.

Sergio Leone really let the cinematography do the storytelling.

My youngest brother hates it, because he actually has to sit down, shut up, and watch the movie to follow the story....
IM not-all-HO, that's the best testimonial it could be given.

Maybe your younger brother still has some humanity left in him. I dunno.

But please, don't mention, this movie to me again!

Once Upon A time in the West for all the reasons mentioned.

McClintock! John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara... Need I say more? Okay... Nice version of The Taming of the Shrew.

The Hallelujah Trail John Sturges comedy. Burt Lancaster, Lee Remick, Donald Pleasance, and Jim Hutton. Watcheit with ny dad when I was a kid, last movie we watched together before he died.

The Jack Bull Great tale of justice/vengeance.

The Proposition Australian western, kill your brother or we'll kill your other brother? Come on, that's good story...

Mnay others could make my list, but those are a few that stick out in my memory.

too many to mention, and someone else beat me to all the good ones. I gotta say "hallelujah trail" was my favorite. Specially that fight during the sandstorm....All those bullets flying in all those directions and nobody got shot, lol. The soldiers first on one side of the dune, then on the other and then every other one was on either side, it was great.

Was "Once upon a time in the west" the one with Debbie Renolds?

Shane.

It's got it all. A man trying to turn from a wrong way of life, failing, but finding a way to sacrifice for good, another man challenged to face death for his wife and son, misplaced hero-worship, unrequited love, a freaky as hell villain, great lines, that boom! when Shane first fires his gun, and the best go-to-hell line ever delivered, when Shane answers Wilson's question, "What have you heard, Shane?"

I sort of like the newer stuff:

No Country for Old Men, as an example. It's more the times I'm living in, and it cuts closer to the bone.

For OLDIES? Give me the spaghetti westerns,

ALL day long!!!

TRINITY flippin' RULED!!! He was a BABE, AND he was hilarious!!!

Last edited:
too many to mention, and someone else beat me to all the good ones. I gotta say "hallelujah trail" was my favorite. Specially that fight during the sandstorm....All those bullets flying in all those directions and nobody got shot, lol. The soldiers first on one side of the dune, then on the other and then every other one was on either side, it was great.

That was How The West Was Won. Karl Malden, Jimmy Stewart, Gregort Peck, Robert Preston, Henry Fonda, George Peppard, John Wayne, Carolyn Jones, Eli Wallach, Richard Widmark... Just to name a few.

My personal favorite is "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance".

It was directed by John Ford and stars John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Lee Marvin. Why do I like it? Because it is an epic tale of one man stepping aside for the sake of a better man and a better world, at great personal cost. See it.

Ranse was NOT a better man than Tom. Not even on Tom's worst day. But a damn fine movie, I agree.

OUATITW is the one with

Claudia_Cardinale_259302.jpg

Claudia!

Not a big fan of westerns, but I used to like Unforgiven.

I do like modern westerns like Tombstone and 3:10 to Yuma.

Forum List

Back