Where Are Gilbert & Sullivan

HenryBHough

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Oak Grove, Massachusetts
Where ARE Gilbert & Sullivan when the world needs them most?

I just read the text of Our Kenyan President's hyperspeech which apparently was handed to the print media hours before He read it off the Teleprompoter Himself. It begged to be set to music! It wouldn't have taken a lot of rewording to turn it into poetic drivel. It was, after all, halfway there.

One must but wonder, G&S being long gone, what cheerful melody they might have come up with to emphasize the soaring (yet empty) rhetoric.

Maybe we could get Tom Leherer out of retirement in lieu?

Btw Henry you never did tell us which operetta was playing during your fire interruption in London.

I'm pulling for Iolanthe. I want the Captain Shaw irony. :eusa_pray:

Btw Henry you never did tell us which operetta was playing during your fire interruption in London.

T'was HMS Pinafore. But not in London; rather in Harrogate. Pinafore is not one of my favourites but I must say that the number about the admiral's having "served a term as office boy to an attorney's firm" and "polishing up the knocker on the big front door" did seem prophetic in light of what we call "president" these days.

T'was HMS Pinafore. But not in London; rather in Harrogate. Pinafore is not one of my favourites but I must say that the number about the admiral's having "served a term as office boy to an attorney's firm" and "polishing up the knocker on the big front door" did seem prophetic in light of what we call "president" these days.

"handle" actually, not "knocker"... thus speaketh auralgraphic memory.

I just thought it would be such delicious irony -- you know in "O Foolish Fay" the verse that was deliberately written in to completely break the fourth wall and directly address Captain Shaw of the London Fire Brigade as he sits in the audience? I love those fourth wall collapses. Gilbert was the Lennon of his time.

Ah well. I aim my shaft and know no fear.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back