Where will the Shake Out end up?

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
We will almost certainly see increased polarization due to Trump trying to roll back much of the dysfunctional regulation, taxes and treaties of the last quarter century.

The Ds will almost certainly be forced left by their activist base in 2020 making it a more regional party and that will clear the way for the Rs to move to the right but to a lesser degree than the Ds move left.

So what will happen to the muddle in the middle in both houses of congress?

I was disappointed that President Trump tweeted the following Friday:
Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

If Republicans are going to pass great future legislation in the Senate, they must immediately go to a 51 vote majority, not senseless 60...
...Even though parts of healthcare could pass at 51, some really good things need 60. So many great future bills & budgets need 60 votes....

Then tweeted on this again this a.m.

"Republicans in the Senate will NEVER win if they don't go to a 51 vote majority NOW. They look like fools and are just wasting time," Trump tweeted in the early hours of the morning. "8 Dems totally control the U.S. Senate. Many great Republican bills will never pass, like Kate's Law and complete Healthcare. Get smart!"

I do not agree with the plan to "go nuclear" in the Senate. It should not just be the ideas of the majority party that have any say in governance. It has been done by both sides and both sides were wrong. If the President really wanted to bring this country together, he would be listening to the John McCains and the Susan Collins who are calling for bipartisan input into our important laws. This is not working. Actually, 51 votes wouldn't have saved the healthcare bill either.

The President has been impatient with Congress for its procedures and its rules that make things take more time than when he was the head of his business and made a decision happen simply by declaring it. It IS frustrating, I'm sure, but that is how it works and it is for a reason. The Senate is where cooler heads are to prevail and it takes agreement from both parties in order to get legislation passed. That is how it should be, and I don't like that any of it has gone to 51%

It feeds partisanship and the unthinking drive to "win" above legislating for the whole country. This would just make things worse and I hope the President's supporters don't buy this. Reaching across the aisle is going to be necessary to bring needed reforms to healthcare. It may well be necessary to pass a budget and a tax plan. This Dem only or Repub only stance that so many are taking doesn't need to be encouraged by the President. He is actually shooting himself in the foot, if the way the healthcare bill went is any indication. No one party should do it alone and apparently they can't.

We will almost certainly see increased polarization due to Trump trying to roll back much of the dysfunctional regulation, taxes and treaties of the last quarter century.

The Ds will almost certainly be forced left by their activist base in 2020 making it a more regional party and that will clear the way for the Rs to move to the right but to a lesser degree than the Ds move left.

So what will happen to the muddle in the middle in both houses of congress?
third party needs a name.

Forum List

Back