Why an atheist

Although many Enlightenment philosophers opposed slavery, it was Christian activists, attracted by strong religious elements, who initiated and organized an abolitionist movement

CAn you fucking use Google, how many times do I have to shit on you lefties, for simply being lazy or afraid to search for truth?
You flatulate yourself wetly. The Quakers started it in this country. Neither left nor right. Practically everyone still slaughtering the Natives here identified as "Christian." All your barking amounts to is a "strong religious" nothing burger.

You flatulate yourself wetly. The Quakers started it in this country. Neither left nor right. Practically everyone still slaughtering the Natives here identified as "Christian." All your barking amounts to is a "strong religious" nothing burger.
Mainly Christian Democrats. But you aren't allowed to say that.

Ok, so you're full of shit, The discussion isn't about left or right, so throw out that strawman....don't pull that shit on me, I'll make you eat it. The discussion is about christianity and how it relates to human behavior....all of which is in my post.......either learn what the thread is of get the fuck out of it.

You brought it up, dumbass. Again,

Still don't see it?
No kidding, I can smell a lefty from a mile away...must be back to the no bathing hippies..........but again, this discussion has mostly lefties defending the idea that men can be moral, while people like me on right, live in reality and understand that men are horrible at their core and thus are not able to be moral. And you stupid quote of everyone was religious and killing indians, proves me right, because, when whitey came over here, who hired them to kill rivals.........wait for it.......wait for it.........other indians..........how crazy is that.

Then thank goodness for atheists. Its appears I owe them a lot.
Please stop with your childish non sequiturs. What you owe a lot to is superior, secular ideas. Better ideas that are replacing the first and worst attempts atmorality from the iron age.

No kidding, I can smell a lefty from a mile away...must be back to the no bathing hippies..........but again, this discussion has mostly lefties defending the idea that men can be moral, while people like me on right, live in reality and understand that men are horrible at their core and thus are not able to be moral. And you stupid quote of everyone was religious and killing indians, proves me right, because, when whitey came over here, who hired them to kill rivals.........wait for it.......wait for it.........other indians..........how crazy is that.
while people like me on right, live in reality and understand that men are horrible at their core and thus are not able to be moral.

instead of "men" in your post - just substitute - christians. who went to war to divide our country so they could continue owning their slaves.

... In addition, white Virginians found Union victory a disturbing challenge to their belief that God had favored both slavery and the Confederacy.

- a sentence from google just for you ...

Of course it has. Slavery is not legal in any western country. 150 years ago, it was. So you go ahead and embarrass yourself with that stupid talking point.
That doesnt mean it doesn't exist.......but you said western country......hmmmmm, I wonder what the connection is in those countries.......for over a 150 years.......but again, it's in China.... which is what again?

instead of "men" in your post - just substitute - christians. who went to war to divide our country so they could continue owning their slaves.

- a sentence from google just for you ...
Well not everyone here is a christian, not even then. It's why they had missionaries in the US, still do..... Second people have done horrible things in the name of God, but just as bad or worse outside of it, the constant theme is men are horrible.....and yet you think they are moral and should be the arbiter of what is right and just........hilarious.

Of course it has. Slavery is not legal in any western country. 150 years ago, it was. So you go ahead and embarrass yourself with that stupid talking point.
I watched those 1940s-60s movies last month and slavery was fine back then. It worked for people who didn't have skills or education. As long as they weren't whipped or mistreated, it was good economic system. I think the libturds made it illegal as some slaves were mistreated.

Most people are handed their religious beliefs like an inheritance, something you are given as a family heirloom and never question. Consequently I believe that most of our everyday Christian beliefs are quite shallow. Even those who seem devout have never really given their religion the kind of attention it needs.

I come from a non religious family, with no religious relatives. Of course God was always there but simply as a picture on the wall, nothing to make it real. It was like getting up in the morning, you always do it but it hasn't any real meaning in your life.

Like so many high schoolers I began to question, but I began to question what I was not taught. Why was it that so many people seemed to believe in god and I did not? I began to read and would continue to do so for the next couple of decades.

I am not passing myself off as a bible scholar. Nor am I saying that those years were spent in intensive academic study, nothing like that. Now and then I would simply read books, mostly histories of biblical times that traced the evolution of Christian beliefs as events unfolded. The faith continues to evolve even today. It always seemed to be a question of "change or die", and change it did.

So unlike many true believers, who view the bible as a constant, I see the Bible being constantly "reinterpreted" in order not to fall victim to current events.

What the fanatics like fail to realize is that the Bible made less history than it followed. They go to "bibel collage" swallowing whole the dogma of their particular bent. Never realizing that the "never changing" faith they profess to hold bears little resemblance to the same faith of a couple hundred years ago. To question is to blaspheme and that is never good.

I am now finished questioning. It has been over for very long time. I still read now and again but it is pretty much over. Been there, done that. I have reached a conclusion and now all that matters is that I keep reasonably current. I try to pay attention to new thoughts but I don't need to constantly rehash the old.

I wish it had turned out otherwise. I really wanted to believe but I could not settle for blind belief. Everyone knows, or should know, that there is not one objective fact to support the existence of a god, any god.

I suppose, like most things, there are many routes to atheism. I have no idea. I only know a couple of people who say they are atheists. I know for sure that it is difficult for believers and atheists to have a civil discussion. I have no idea why that is. Perhaps because religion needs faith, blind faith, and it seems to me that an atheist must be a questioner.

Oddly enough, some of the best discussions I have had were with a Lutheran Pastor.

All I do know is that we should not put everyone in the same bag. There are good and bad people in every belief system. Some of the best folks I know are Christians. Some of the worst folks I know are Christians. As I said, I don't know enough atheists to matter.

So to all those of faith out there who use their beliefs to better their lives and the lives of others I say, "good for you". To all those who use their faith as a place to reinforce their hatreds and bigotry I say, "Damn you"!
Are your attitudes and values liberal? Usually, liberals end up being atheist. They can't help themselves. If you're not sure and are agnostic, then it may as well be liberal.

As for becoming atheist, I think it depends on whether you have faith in no God/gods. Then you're a true atheist. If it's still in the opinion stage, then you're not really an atheist. What sounds weird to me is you think you know Christians. Maybe you have a point about history, but things are different today.

Last edited:
I watched those 1940s-60s movies last month and slavery was fine back then. It worked for people who didn't have skills or education. As long as they weren't whipped or mistreated, it was good economic system. I think the libturds made it illegal as some slaves were mistreated.
Slavery was never fine in our country. Now, back in Biblical times there were reasons for slavery based on economics and over the choice of killing those who were defeated and letting them live. We should note that by the time of Jesus, almost all Jews eschewed slavery.

In the US, slavery began with indentured servitude for both blacks and whites. The "economic factor" in those days was the big business of cotton, tobacco, indigo and other products. Then these big businesses had the bright idea of not honoring time served for blacks. After all, they weren't Christians. They got government to approve slavery. Big Business and Government colluding. Gee, what an idea! Blacks were forced to remain in servitude, the Black slave trade started, but a few hundred years later, the citizens cried enough!

We should remain aware that by the time of the civil war, four out of five people in the South were not slave owners. Big Business. With government backing. So here is an idea for people who are in favor of "reparations": Let's let the Big Businesses of today give half of their assets to Black communities. That includes the News Media corporations. I wonder how many of them will immediately go on the air in favor of doing this? I, for one, will not be holding my breath.

Are your attitudes and values liberal? Usually, liberals end up being atheist. They can't help themselves. If you're not sure and are agnostic, then it may as well be liberal.

As for becoming atheist, I think it depends on whether you have faith in no God/gods. Then you're a true atheist. If it's still in the opinion stage, then you're not really an atheist. What sounds weird to me is you think you know Christians. Maybe you have a point about history, but things are different today.

whatever that means for you the real conclusion is the fallacy of christianity, the desert religions in their literature as contrived agendas disguised as religions for nefarious purposes falsely claiming ... all are sinners or being the chosen ones or an eye for an eye as deliberate entrapment's to be illegitimate and detrimental for the stated goals of civil society. not as a dismissal of the metaphysical but for a more reasoned understanding for its existence.

desert religions - based on forgeries and fallacies that pander to the most egregious individuals of society that use catch phrases as "family values" to commit atrocities against the innocent purposefully disguised as compassion. bond.

Slavery was never fine in our country.
It was for a time and as an economic concept. However, like any economic system that favored the rich, it was exploited. We had blacks who worked in fine Southern homes, but they were treated like animal commodity and not worth a whole person. Today, we have one-person, one-vote.

whatever that means for you the real conclusion is the fallacy of christianity, the desert religions in their literature as contrived agendas disguised as religions for nefarious purposes falsely claiming ... all are sinners or being the chosen ones or an eye for an eye as deliberate entrapment's to be illegitimate and detrimental for the stated goals of civil society. not as a dismissal of the metaphysical but for a more reasoned understanding for its existence.

desert religions - based on forgeries and fallacies that pander to the most egregious individuals of society that use catch phrases as "family values" to commit atrocities against the innocent purposefully disguised as compassion. bond.
Lolwut? If you were light, then you were created as a dim bulb.

That doesnt mean it doesn't exist
So what? It "not existing at all" is not germane to my points. You are arguing against nobody and nothing.

You make this silly, elementary error because you are not very well-educated and never learned the difference between universal and existential statements, or how refutation of them works.

So what? It "not existing at all" is not germane to my points. You are arguing against nobody and nothing.

You make this silly, elementary error because you are not very well-educated and never learned the difference between universal and existential statements, or how refutation of them works.
Loook pseudo intellecutual, it is germane, you are making an argument that people have shed those sins and are better, I argue they are not. Slavery still exists....but it doesn't in the US, becasue we are better and it took abolitionists (aka Christians) to fix that issue........and even after that you had the 20th Century populated by atheist mass murderers.......

Forum List

Back