Will dems bring back Obamacare penalty?

Invisibleflash

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2019
Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd home-Rustbelt is home base
I was happy the reps got rid of the penalty for not being able to afford Obamacare. I think the dems will bring it back. That is their solution for USA healthcare.

Someday a job may offer to pay your penalty as your healthcare bonus. The actual insurance will be unaffordable and few will offer it as healthcare costs will only keep skyrocketing.

As was said on TV by one dem senator. We can't afford Medicare for some let alone Medicare for all.

I guess the dems are trying to let their supporters down easy. The poor idiots thought they would get everything for free. All they will get is a return of the Obamacare penalty.

If you want socialized healthcare it must be in addition to fee for service healthcare. You need both. The rich people don't want socialized and the poor can't afford the rich version.

But you will never get it. The greedy healthcare system does not want one penny taken from them.

Biden gun strip LR.jpg

Listened to a good discussion about this on NPR yesterday. Apparently the effect of repealing the individual mandate and fine was...well...nothing.
So no, I don't expect Democrats to bring it back. No reason to. The SC looks like they are going to let the law stand.

You can’t have mandatory coverage of pre-existing conditions without requiring that everyone be insured

I was happy the reps got rid of the penalty for not being able to afford Obamacare. I think the dems will bring it back. That is their solution for USA healthcare.

Someday a job may offer to pay your penalty as your healthcare bonus. The actual insurance will be unaffordable and few will offer it as healthcare costs will only keep skyrocketing.

As was said on TV by one dem senator. We can't afford Medicare for some let alone Medicare for all.

I guess the dems are trying to let their supporters down easy. The poor idiots thought they would get everything for free. All they will get is a return of the Obamacare penalty.

If you want socialized healthcare it must be in addition to fee for service healthcare. You need both. The rich people don't want socialized and the poor can't afford the rich version.

But you will never get it. The greedy healthcare system does not want one penny taken from them.

View attachment 414380
They cannot bring it back. The Supreme Ct declared it unconstitutional

View attachment 414380
That's what I thought, sort of a moot question and a still born thread.

View attachment 414380

Of course they can bring it back if congress passes a law requiring it.

View attachment 414380

View attachment 414380
The mandate penalty was changed to zero in tax legislation of 2017. It would take an act of congress to change it back and that will not happen as long as the Senate is controlled by republicans.

The effect of changing mandate penalty to zero increased the percentage of uninsured by .2% If democrats change the healthcare law there will be a lot more changes than just the mandate, a public option and increased subsidies to lower premium costs, and lower drug costs.

The Right believes forcing people to carry insurance is unfair. The Left believes allowing people to not carry insurance until they are serious illness in unfair to those that carry insurance because it increases the premium.

Last edited:
You can’t have mandatory coverage of pre-existing conditions without requiring that everyone be insured
Everyone should be able to afford Government insurance.

And yet Government ran insurance will be like the old V.A. System where many will die waiting to get the procedure they need...

So understand those like me will use Mexico in the near future...

What happens when there is no mandate?

People go without insurance because there is no penalty
If they get sick they run out and buy insurance because there is a pre-existing condition law

Untenable

View attachment 414380

The Supreme Ct declared it unconstitutional. You are ignorant.

Here is the definition Illegal means that a given activity by a person, group, or organization violates a law. Unconstitutional means that a law violates conditions laid down in the constitution, and therefore is not a law and is not enforceable... as applied by the independent judiciary, all the way up to the supreme court.

Last edited:
Horsedung. I had 2 private plans in the 1980s-90s and both covered pre existing conditions.

at what cost?
I don't know. My employer paid the premiums. Listen, jackass. Most private plans will cover pre existing conditions. What they do is install a waiting period for collecting benefits. That means you can't get medical care for them for 30, 60 or 90 days after you begin the plan. You obviously know nothing about private industry.

Everyone should be able to afford Government insurance.

And yet Government ran insurance will be like the old V.A. System where many will die waiting to get the procedure they need...

So understand those like me will use Mexico in the near future...
That is certainly not the case with Medicare.

Horsedung. I had 2 private plans in the 1980s-90s and both covered pre existing conditions.

at what cost?
I don't know. My employer paid the premiums. Listen, jackass. Most private plans will cover pre existing conditions. What they do is install a waiting period for collecting benefits. That means you can't get medical care for them for 30, 60 or 90 days after you begin the plan. You obviously know nothing about private industry.
With most employer plans, if you work there, you will be covered.
If you are self employed or work for a small employer you are screwed

View attachment 414380

Here is the definition Illegal means that a given activity by a person, group, or organization violates a law. Unconstitutional means that a law violates conditions laid down in the constitution, and therefore is not a law and is not enforceable... as applied by the independent judiciary, all the way up to the supreme court.

Actually I think a Federal Judge in Texas declared it illegal thus the reason it's in the SCOTUS. Scotus said it was a tax a few years back and kept it in at that time.

View attachment 414380

Actually I think a Federal Judge in Texas declared it illegal thus the reason it's in the SCOTUS. Scotus said it was a tax a few years back and kept it in at that time.
I'm not sure if they'll specifically try to reinstate the mandate, but there's no doubt Democrats will push for more state control of healthcare. It's what they do. They're going after social media next.

at what cost?

(sigh) Individual Plans NEVER covered PE's. Group plans did but it varied by company, some took them right away others wee able to put temp waivers that varied from 6 months to 2 years.

Forum List

Back