Windows 8 Tips and Support

When the computer starts up, you see all those "tiles" that will open different applications. If you right-click on a tile, at the bottom of the screen is an option to "unpin". If you select that, then it won't show at start-up. I "unpinned" a bunch of garbage that I know I will never use. It made it easier to find things I do use frequently.

My old computer failed due to a cracked motherboard (long story that I won't bore you with), but the hard drive was still good.
I just installed the old hard drive into the new computer and Win8 allowed me to get my saved files and documents. A success, since it had been a while since I had done a backup.

Win8 doesn't include the the Windows Media Player that has been common with Windows for years, but using explorer, I can open the Windows media player on my old hard drive with my new Win8 computer and it works.
Sadly, the old Windows games like solitaire and minesweeper will not execute.

My old computer failed due to a cracked motherboard (long story that I won't bore you with), but the hard drive was still good.
I just installed the old hard drive into the new computer and Win8 allowed me to get my saved files and documents. A success, since it had been a while since I had done a backup.

Win8 doesn't include the the Windows Media Player that has been common with Windows for years, but using explorer, I can open the Windows media player on my old hard drive with my new Win8 computer and it works.
Sadly, the old Windows games like solitaire and minesweeper will not execute.

Look in the Microsoft Store I found them there and they are free, as well as many other free games. There are games for a price too.

Last edited:
Well I am now in Day 2 of dealing with Windows 8 and the frustration level has not subsided in the least. Some of the simplest things, like safely removing hardware (my external hard drive) simply cannot be dome imtuitively as it could be on all other Windows systems. I am finally getting the desk top set up sufficiently that I can function but sheesh. What maniac decided this was a good idea?

Well I am now in Day 2 of dealing with Windows 8 and the frustration level has not subsided in the least. Some of the simplest things, like safely removing hardware (my external hard drive) simply cannot be dome imtuitively as it could be on all other Windows systems. I am finally getting the desk top set up sufficiently that I can function but sheesh. What maniac decided this was a good idea?

There is an app called windows 8 cheat keys and tips look in the windows store it may address your issue.

It is a good idea to familiarize yourself first with the OS before attempting tasks such as what you describe.

Tasks such as I describe? Unplugging the external drive to put it away should be a no brainer I would think. Used to be the simplest of tasks. Thus the frustration level.

Other simple things like checking the disk capacity or defragging or accessing what used to be "my computer" are still mystifying. I don't think adding unfamiliar 'cheat keys' would reduce my frustration level any. :)

And Alan, I am also dealing with a new computer due to a failed mother board in my old one. However, my old hard drive was only 80 gigs and completely inadequate for modern day usage. So little by little I can transfer my data to the new computer. (It has a 1000 gigs of space Not having a lot of luck getting the new computer to accept the data from the external hard drive though.) I did just figure out how to pin the computer to the task bar so I can access the control panel now.

Tasks such as I describe? Unplugging the external drive to put it away should be a no brainer I would think. Used to be the simplest of tasks. Thus the frustration level.

Other simple things like checking the disk capacity or defragging or accessing what used to be "my computer" are still mystifying. I don't think adding unfamiliar 'cheat keys' would reduce my frustration level any. :)

My point is windows 8 is an entirely new "look", it takes time to get acquainted with it. Just a suggestion.

win8v.jpg

My point is windows 8 is an entirely new "look", it takes time to get acquainted with it. Just a suggestion.

It is far far more than just an entirely new look. The whole process is entirely different from any previous windows version. If it was just getting used to a new look, I could manage that without problem. But there is no way even to shut the computer down intuitively with Windows 8. It's back to the Windows 8 for Dummies book to find out how to do it.

But there is no way even to shut the computer down intuitively with Windows 8.
Create a shortcut and set as target: shutdown /p
In order to avoid a dos screen, set minimized in the shortcut´s properties.

To log off, create a shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\logoff.exe

It is far far more than just an entirely new look. The whole process is entirely different from any previous windows version. If it was just getting used to a new look, I could manage that without problem. But there is no way even to shut the computer down intuitively with Windows 8. It's back to the Windows 8 for Dummies book to find out how to do it.

Swipe the screen from the right corner and a panel will show I am placing a screen shot example here. Then select what you would like to do.

Win8-Settings.png

and more information ...How to, uh, turn Windows 8 off | Microsoft - CNET News

Swipe the screen from the right corner and a panel will show I am placing a screen shot example here. Then select what you would like to do.

Win8-Settings.png
I think this is what he called non-intuitive.

Exactly...on Day 5 with my sons laptop, and I agree 100% with you - a modern OS should be designed to be intuitive and tasks logically and well organized.
Windows 8 is far from this, that is if you want to do anything beyond social media or look at pictures.
For instance I downloaded a small wav file, I opened it up to listen to it - and instead of merely opening Winmedia and playing it - hell no - it opens up this "music app" in the Win 8 format that took me a little bit to figure out just how in the hell to get out of it - and when I did - I really didn't - over 100MB of the systems memory was still in use - because the entire "music" application was still running in the backgroud...stupid. I mean Jesus Christ, you have to go through all of this just to listen to a wav file???
I too wanted to go to the C drive...ok...where is it....no not there...no not there either...ok let's click that...no....oh wait here it is....again stupid as f*ck. Getting to the harddrive should be extremely easy, one of the easiest things to do - but it isn't. Dumb.
I already know what 95% of non-touchscreen people will do - login and immediately go to the desktop "app" which puts the computer back to familiar territory....that is until you want to launch a program - which takes you back to the Win 8 tile format and you once again have to click several times to get back to the desktop - dumb.

Last edited:
And the best Windows 8 advice so far goes to:....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Yd2jK-7Jg]Dualboot Windows 8 with Linux Mint 14 Nadia by AvoidErrors - YouTube[/ame]

I found this to be a useful shortcut.

You can bring up the Power User Menu with your keyboard by pressing the WIN
windows_key.png
(Windows) key and the X key together.

power_user_menu.png

Forum List

Back