With College Football Playoff change looming, a 12-team model leads the way

AMart

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2020
Yahoo Sports spoke to more than a dozen stakeholders Monday on every side of the playoff decision – university officials, athletic directors, media executives and others around college sports. Amid those conversations, a surprise emerged — officials on campuses, in conference offices and in the television world have expressed an openness toward a 12-team playoff as the most likely result...............................................................................................................

Let's be honest, are we not all sick and tired of a 4 team playoff that seems to include Clemson, Ohio State, and Alabama every fucking year?
I like seeing the best teams and the committee gets it right for the most part. Cincinnati made a statement last year. They really should have beaten UGA as well. Georgia straight up could not run the ball on Cincy and Cincy struggled running the ball on Georgia except when Bama transfer Ford went house.

Instead of Alabama winning it every year, why not divide their team every year to play itself in the National Championship?

It might make it interesting to watch again.

Then the controversy becomes "who gets the bye week".

Make it 16. We're going to go there anyway...2 extra games. Since it's all about revenue...just make it 16.

I'd like either eight or 16 teams, I really don't like giving teams byes, it dilutes the competition on the field.

I hate four, but think 12 is too many. Plus a problemo: After 2 games, you’d be down to thee teams. What then?
I like the concept of 8.

I hate four, but think 12 is too many. Plus a problemo: After 2 games, you’d be down to thee teams. What then?
I like the concept of 8.
The 12 team playoff would give teams 1-4 a first week bye and teams 5-12 would play, the winners then playing teams 1-4. Just adds another week, I'd just rather see 8 or 16, 12 seems gimmicky.

I'd like either eight or 16 teams, I really don't like giving teams byes, it dilutes the competition on the field.
I like 16 better than 12 (no byes - that’s goofy). With 16, the top two teams in championship would play four extra games.
Too many unless you were to shorten the regular season. Which you could by eliminating the one or two patsies most teams play out of conference.
I mean, does ANYONE really wanna see Alabama play Mercer this season? :confused-84:
Eight is a great balance, and no more than one team per conference should advance.

I like 16 better than 12 (no byes - that’s goofy). With 16, the top two teams in championship would play four extra games.
Too many unless you were to shorten the regular season. Which you could by eliminating the one or two patsies most teams play out of conference.
I mean, does ANYONE really wanna see Alabama play Mercer this season? :confused-84:
Eight is a great balance, and no more than one team per conference should advance.

I agree with everything except the last line. If you want a championship, don't eliminate teams for any reason except a loss.

I agree with everything except the last line. If you want a championship, don't eliminate teams for any reason except a loss.

Okay except what happens if you end up with 2 or 3 undefeated teams from non-FBS conferences? Unlikely but conceivable.

Think you’ll remember that I’m a Boise State fan, so LOVE the idea of giving the “Little Sisters of the Poor” (Ohio State Pres
on BSU) a shot.

We’ve been snubbed SO many times on a playoff or championship game dating back to 2007 when we beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl in triple OT as 3 TD underdogs.

Now, most (all?) conferences have a playoff game between divisions. Wouldn’t that eliminate any possibility of two undefeated teams from the same conference?

16 is real excessive. These kids are supposed to be going to college also. No more then 8 teams and make it stick. The people who vote the teams are pretty accurate on the best teams. At this point it is watered down. We argue at time that the number 5 team is cheated. I am not going to argue about the number 9 team.

I would love to see it!! More college football!

I think it would be good.
College football is my favorite thing to watch. I have concerns about adding games to the student athletes. Ups th risk of injury. I am worried that some of the higher draft opting out of post season if ya add games.

If you want a guaranteed ticket to the Playoffs, win your conference.

Going to an 8 team playoff only adds one more game for the two finalists.

I don't like committees deciding anything.

Forum List

Back