Yes, Pilgrims Bought Land from Indians for Beads

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Because beads were the common currency used by Indians, and the Pilgrims.

But it was just beads, the Indians got cheated!

What if I gave you a small piece of paper with a pretty picture for your hat?

1623588808820.jpeg

Value is always in the eyes of the beholder.

View attachment 500802

That's not all they gave to the Native Americans. They gave them smallpox, the fever, and various social diseases.
The gifts..that keep on giving. :)

Look real close at that paper with a picture of a famous dude on it. It's going to go the way of the dinosaur shortly.

View attachment 500802

That's not all they gave to the Native Americans. They gave them smallpox, the fever, and various social diseases.

Look real close at that paper with a picture of a famous dude on it. It's going to go the way of the dinosaur shortly.
You really are ignorant. The Pilgrims gave no diseases to the Indians. Explorers years before did. Plymouth was established on a mass grave site from the outbreak.

View attachment 500802

You really are ignorant. The Pilgrims gave no diseases to the Indians. Explorers years before did. Plymouth was established on a mass grave site from the outbreak.

Uh, excuse me? Where did you dig up that alternative history nugget?

View attachment 500802

Uh, excuse me? Where did you dig up that alternative history nugget?
He's right. The Puritans landed in Plymouth in 1620; one of the first people they met was Tisquantum, who we know as Squanto, who had already been back and forth to Europe several times. He spoke English. He was also the last surviving member of his tribe (the Patuxet), who had been otherwise wiped clean off the Earth by disease brought by earlier Europeans; he only survived because he was "out of town."

Verrazzano had explored what is now New York almost a hundred years earlier. Hudson landed there in 1609 and New York was established in 1613. Mappers and explorers and beaver fur hunters were running all up and down the place from then on, and they brought disease with them.

View attachment 500802

And the Indians gave whites syphilis,
Sadly the continent was not a disease free utopia until the arrival of the white man.

View attachment 500802

Sadly the continent was not a disease free utopia until the arrival of the white man.

Oh, lordy. :puhleeze:
Syphilis is an Old World affliction. Columbus may not have brought it over, but it originated in Europe. :)

It seems to me that it's been portrayed that native Americans didn't claim to "own" land and that all natives shared the land equally and sang kumbaya together.

Perhaps some of the natives thought they found some real suckers in the pilgrims, who were willing to buy land that they didn't actually own, in return for pilgrims' "treasure". How about it?

View attachment 500802

You are correct

Syphilis existed in the New World when Columbus landed

Columbus may not have brought it over, but it originated in Europe
You did not trad the link you posted

It actually supports the origin as being from the New World

I did read it. I can also understand and extrapolate. Nothing in this article suggests it originated in the New World. I get that comprehension might hard for the alt-right, but here's the meat and potatoes of the article.

"New skeletal evidence suggests Columbus and his crew not only introduced the Old World to the New World, but brought back syphilis as well, researchers say".

Later,

"The first known epidemic of syphilis occurred during the Renaissance in 1495. Initially its plague broke out among the army of Charles the VIII after the French king invaded Naples. It then proceeded to devastate Europe, said researcher George Armelagos, a skeletal biologist at Emory University in Atlanta".

Conclusion? Syphilis has it's origins in the Old World. If it was here in the New World when Columbus landed...then someone else brought it...which means Columbus wasn't the first Old Worlder here. Looks like give and take. :)

View attachment 500802
You are confusing the Pilgrims with the Dutch "buying" Manhattan.
To be fair, he didn't specify Manhattan, and Europeans did use wampum (which was originally a sort of social status marker) as currency during the time of Plymouth Plantation, until they realized that currency that someone can make for themselves kind of doesn't work.

It seems to me that it's been portrayed that native Americans didn't claim to "own" land and that all natives shared the land equally and sang kumbaya together.

Perhaps some of the natives thought they found some real suckers in the pilgrims, who were willing to buy land that they didn't actually own, in return for pilgrims' "treasure". How about it?
Dutch, not Pilgrims, but yeah. The Natives of the time didn't have much of a concept of land ownership at all, and certainly didn't have the approval of all of the residents to agree to anything. They probably just thought white people were crazy, took their free stuff, and left, which they were going to do anyway.

Columbus may not have brought it over, but it originated in Europe
You did not trad the link you posted

It actually supports the origin as being from the New World

I did read it. I can also understand and extrapolate. Nothing in this article suggests it originated in the New World. I get that comprehension might hard for the alt-right, but here's the meat and potatoes of the article.

"New skeletal evidence suggests Columbus and his crew not only introduced the Old World to the New World, but brought back syphilis as well, researchers say".

Later,

"The first known epidemic of syphilis occurred during the Renaissance in 1495. Initially its plague broke out among the army of Charles the VIII after the French king invaded Naples. It then proceeded to devastate Europe, said researcher George Armelagos, a skeletal biologist at Emory University in Atlanta".

Conclusion? Syphilis has it's origins in the Old World. If it was here in the New World when Columbus landed...then someone else brought it...which means Columbus wasn't the first Old Worlder here. Looks like give and take. :)
from your own source:

"There's no really good evidence of a syphilis case before 1492 in Europe," Armelagos told LiveScience."

"Once we adjusted for the marine signature, all of the skeletons that showed definite signs of treponemal disease appeared to be dated to after Columbus returned to Europe," Harper said, findings detailed in the current Yearbook of Physical Anthropology.

"What it really shows to me is that globalization of disease is not a modern condition," Armelagos said. "In 1492, you had the transmission of a number of diseases from Europe that decimated Native Americans, and you also had disease from Native Americans to Europe."

Actually the Indians weren't that dumb. They felt no ownership to real estate and they received mostly iron tools like knives and hatchets. Guns came later and so did smallpox.

..the NAs displaced and stole land from other tribes..they also murdered women and children long before the whites came.....they also decimated/warred on/TORTURED per culture/etc other tribes
ETC

Forum List

Back