Yesterday my 95 year old father-in-law passed away.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
He died on my youngest son's 25th birthday and would have turned 96 on December 18th .... a very sad day for the family. I had no idea where to post this, or even whether to at all, so after some thought, I decided to put it here on the Philosophy board to let it be a reminder for us all that even if you live a long life, which he did by most measures, you know a hundred years is just a blink of an eye in the grander scheme. Life is too short.....

He actually doubled my Mom's life - she died of pneumonia at 47 back in 1991.
111.jpg

His funeral will be Wednesday. This was him a few years ago.

pappaw.jpg

He's been staying here with us the last 7 or 8 years.
Gonna seem strange without him for awhile.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss. His picture looks like he experienced a full life. One of my biggest hurdles when my dad died was remembering the times when we didn't get along as well as I wished we would have. We always loved each other, there was never a question of that, but a few kind words from me would have made it easier, and I could have been less sensitive to some of the the things he might have said or done. That guilt really bothered me until I finally realized those times didn't really matter that much. Some times I was an asshole, and sometimes he was. BIG DEAL. That friction is part of being father and son. Nobody agrees with anybody all the time, and I'm not sure I would want to.

Forum List

Back