You may ask "Which Universe Am I In?"

Cause and effect is self evident.
My view is that cause and effect is for philosophers to ponder. It is sort of used in courts of law, but is quite vacuous in enlightening anything substantial in science. The subject of cause and effect is usually brought up with undercurrents of a theological context that the science minded avoid because it often leads to the 𝔉𝔦𝔯𝔰𝔱 β„­π”žπ”²π”°π”’ of the universe which is π”Šπ”¬π”‘.

I would think that "Big Bang" is a better word for a first cause, if you need to put it that way. It is more specific because the word, God, carries a lot of other meanings. People don't kneel or sing songs in a majestic building with stained glass windows to the Big Bang. Using god as the first cause does not mean that that same entity micromanages events and the wishes of people on earth.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but I'm really OK with religion if it is kept out of science classes and the government.

Last edited:
My view is that cause and effect is for philosophers to ponder. It is sort of used in courts of law, but is quite vacuous in enlightening anything substantial in science. The subject of cause and effect is usually brought up with undercurrents of a theological context that the science minded avoid because it often leads to the 𝔉𝔦𝔯𝔰𝔱 β„­π”žπ”²π”°π”’ of the universe which is π”Šπ”¬π”‘.

I would think that "Big Bang" is a better word for a first cause, if you need to put it that way. It is more specific because the word, God, carries a lot of other meanings. People don't kneel or sing songs in a majestic building with stained glass windows to the Big Bang. Using god as the first cause does not mean that that same entity micromanages events and the wishes of people on earth.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but I'm really OK with religion if it is kept out of science classes and the government.
In this case cause and effect was being brought up because she believes everything is alive and everything is random.

But to your point I don't see the big bang as God.

Good for you. Many try to use the big bang as proof of God, which it isn't, as my post argues.
The CMB is evidence for the universe popping into existence not being created from existing matter. Monotheism is based upon a belief in a creating moralistic, providential creator. Monotheists believe the creator created the universe ex nihilo. So the belief predated the theory of the big bang.

Using god as the first cause does not mean that that same entity micromanages events and the wishes of people on earth.
That's more of a polytheistic belief than a monotheistic belief. We don't see God as pulling levers and pushing buttons.

The CMB is evidence for the universe popping into existence not being created from existing matter. Monotheism is based upon a belief in a creating moralistic, providential creator. Monotheists believe the creator created the universe ex nihilo. So the belief predated the theory of the big bang.
It doesn't matter what predated what. The science of the big bang still doesn't prove the God that most Christians believe in.
That's more of a polytheistic belief than a monotheistic belief. We don't see God as pulling levers and pushing buttons.
It seems you are saying people pray to multiple gods. Most people pray to one god and that one god is thought by many to grant wishes, or whatever.
Science is the study of nature to discover the order within nature (i.e. cause and effect) so as to be able to make predictions of nature.
You can call science a study of cause and effect as you will. I don't care. But the phrase does not occur in any of the hundreds of text books or journals I have read. So to me it is a vacuous phrase that doesn't add anything to science. It's for philosophers.

Forum List

Back