You want to see real CHAOS? How about an electoral college tie - 269 to 269

CrazyTrader55

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2024
In a nutshell.

After the chaotic 1800 presidential election ended with Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr each at 73 electoral votes, the 12th Amendment was ratified to better govern the process of choosing a chief executive.

\It established rules about what to do in case of a tie or if no candidate received a majority of electoral votes, finding its solution in a contingent election that takes place Jan. 6 in the new Congress.

In this scenario, the House of Representatives decides who among the top three Electoral College finishers becomes president, and the Senate determines who becomes vice president among the top two finishers for that position.

Each state’s delegation in the House (i.e., all its allotted representatives) gets a single vote, and the next president becomes the candidate who receives a majority 26 of 50 state votes. In the Senate, each senator gets one vote to pick the vice president, with 51 votes needed to determine a winner.

In a nutshell.

After the chaotic 1800 presidential election ended with Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr each at 73 electoral votes, the 12th Amendment was ratified to better govern the process of choosing a chief executive.

\It established rules about what to do in case of a tie or if no candidate received a majority of electoral votes, finding its solution in a contingent election that takes place Jan. 6 in the new Congress.

In this scenario, the House of Representatives decides who among the top three Electoral College finishers becomes president, and the Senate determines who becomes vice president among the top two finishers for that position.

Each state’s delegation in the House (i.e., all its allotted representatives) gets a single vote, and the next president becomes the candidate who receives a majority 26 of 50 state votes. In the Senate, each senator gets one vote to pick the vice president, with 51 votes needed to determine a winner.
Yep... the US Constitution, as amended, already makes good provision for this... it's "covered"... no sweat... :cool:

Is it going to be Harris/Vance, or Trump/Walz on Jan 21, 2025?

"According to the 12th Amendment, enacted in the wake of that divisive 1800 election, if no candidate gets a majority of the Electoral College votes, the new Congress, which would have just been sworn in on January 3, chooses the president. The Senate would choose the vice president."

Yep... the US Constitution, as amended, already makes good provision for this... it's "covered"... no sweat... :cool:
What I didn't see was. If the there is a tie in the Senate for VP then who breaks the tie as there would be no sitting VP?

Just leave the position vacant and if something happens to POTUS the leader of the House takes over?

What I didn't see was. If the there is a tie in the Senate for VP then who breaks the tie as there would be no sitting VP?

Just leave the position vacant and if something happens to POTUS the leader of the House takes over?

The vote would take place before the inauguration of the new administration. The sitting VP casts the deciding vote as per usual procedure in the Senate.

I'll give it a 15 percent chance of happening. Don't kid yourself, It CAN HAPPEN. There are several maps showing in red and blue the various scenarios.
The only map showing a tie in the electoral college has both Nebraska votes going to Trump. Not likely since the attempt to stop the split of Neb electoral votes failed

Need more people off the Demo plantation.

94ippn.jpg

The only map showing a tie in the electoral college has both Nebraska votes going to Trump. Not likely since the attempt to stop the split of Neb electoral votes failed
Please don't post unless you know what you are talking about.
Nebraska has 5 electoral votes.

This is fascinating. As if the political situation isn’t already crazy enough and the country divided enough, picture this:

Trump and Harris finish in a 269 to 269 electoral college tie. Several maps are shown of how this could happen. Now we will shift into tie breaker mode.... Advantage TRUMP.
It would be the new congress that selects the President...

At the moment Democrats are favourites to take Congress.
GOP are favourite for Senate.

So Democrats would select Harris...

Real Question would be who GOP Senate would select as VP...

Excuse me. I should have said all not both.

The split remains. The attempt failed
Those maps do NOT show "all" Nebraska votes going to Trump. They show a split of the 5 votes. Nebraska, and Maine, might not send all electoral votes to a single candidate.
Again: don't chime in here unless you have the correct info - you WILL be called out on it.

Last edited:

There is a sitting VP...

Ingratiation hasn't happened yet.

Forum List

Back