young tennis star Naomi Osaka will not be participating in any news conferences during the French Open, citing mental health

Very mature and I applaud. However promoting the sport is part of the gig. Got to be able to promote the sport and care for people who are struggling. Especially kids/teens.

Very mature and I applaud. However promoting the sport is part of the gig. Got to be able to promote the sport and care for people who are struggling. Especially kids/teens.

She's 23 years old. Part of her job is to attend press conferences.

This is a brilliant idea for her. The sports media is generally out for the gotcha sound bite or to cause a problem. Better to avoid them during the tournament and reduce her stress than be forced to manage every word she says.

I can't fault her for that (pun unattended). Sports press conferences are lame and annoying, especially after a player loses. It will be interesting if they dare to fine her for not going attending these conferences, since she's been cast as "brave" for "finding her voice" on certain political matters.

She seems to crave attention in some areas of her life, but wants to avoid it when she finds it uncomfortable.

The World will survive without her valuable insights.

STATEMENT FROM GRAND SLAM TOURNAMENTS REGARDING NAOMI OSAKA

No.2 seed has been issued a fine in the wake of her infringement of mandatory media interviews at Roland-Garros

Naomi Osaka announced last Wednesday on social media that she would not participate in the mandatory media interviews at Roland-Garros 2021.

Following this announcement, the Roland-Garros teams asked her to reconsider her position and tried unsuccessfully to speak with her to check on her well-being, understand the specifics of her issue and what might be done to address it on site.

Following the lack of engagement by Naomi Osaka, the Australian Open, Roland-Garros, Wimbledon and the US Open jointly wrote to her to check on her well-being and offer support, underline their commitment to all athletes’ well-being and suggest dialog on the issues. She was also reminded of her obligations, the consequences of not meeting them and that rules should equally apply to all players.

Naomi Osaka today chose not to honour her contractual media obligations. The Roland-Garros referee has therefore issued her a $15,000 fine, in keeping with article III H. of the Code of Conduct.

(snip)

We have advised Naomi Osaka that should she continue to ignore her media obligations during the tournament, she would be exposing herself to possible further Code of Conduct infringement consequences. As might be expected, repeat violations attract tougher sanctions including default from the tournament (Code of Conduct article III T.) and the trigger of a major offence investigation that could lead to more substantial fines and future Grand Slam suspensions (Code of Conduct article IV A.3.).

Full article:

My comment:
Naomi won her first match Sunday. Her next match will be scheduled for Wednesday (which will be against Romanian Ana Bogdan). We'll see in a few days how this will play out.

I bet that if it was in her contract....to participate in news conferences....or don't have any payments of any kind.

She would be the first to do it.

It's not sports anymore for these people, wherever they come from, it's only money.

I don't watch sport/money any more ....it's stupid.

Given her tens of millions of annual earnings, the $15k fine is less than a pin-prick.

From what I understand, she is willing to do the quick, on-court interviews that follow matches, but declines to participate in the staged events that follow.

She has a point. These are mainly teens and young adults who are often challenged in the sessions about failed strategies and missed shots and lost opportunities on the court. Do they really need this humiliation? It's one thing to do this to a fully mature adult (e.g., a 40 year old golf pro), but it can be cruel to the girls, and serves no purpose other than to satisfy the perverse instincts of the "fans."

Participation in such sessions should be voluntary, and if the player requests, accompanied by a coach or parent.

Given her tens of millions of annual earnings, the $15k fine is less than a pin-prick.

From what I understand, she is willing to do the quick, on-court interviews that follow matches, but declines to participate in the staged events that follow.

She has a point. These are mainly teens and young adults who are often challenged in the sessions about failed strategies and missed shots and lost opportunities on the court. Do they really need this humiliation? It's one thing to do this to a fully mature adult (e.g., a 40 year old golf pro), but it can be cruel to the girls, and serves no purpose other than to satisfy the perverse instincts of the "fans."

Participation in such sessions should be voluntary, and if the player requests, accompanied by a coach or parent.

She's 22 years old and has been in competitive tennis for years. It's not like she's getting off a Higgins boat and storming Omaha Beach.

kids these days are so pampered!

I don't follow tennis,so I couldn't say how the poet game press conferences go.

However, I've always thought it sucked the way the press ambushes exhausted, defeated athletes on their way to the locker room after they've lost. Give them a break, don't rub it in until after they've had a shower at least.

Remember when the "media" was hyping Naomi as the "good minority" while demonizing Serena??

Good times......

11clareyweb3-superJumbo[1].jpg

And as I said before....if the fake news media are just nothing but the enemy of the people; she should be having more support from the same folks attacking her

I bet that if it was in her contract....to participate in news conferences....or don't have any payments of any kind.

She would be the first to do it.

It's not sports anymore for these people, wherever they come from, it's only money.

I don't watch sport/money any more ....it's stupid.
It is in her contract to hold a press conference at Grand Slams. Part of the job for someone, I believe who makes at least one mil winning

Remember when the "media" was hyping Naomi as the "good minority" while demonizing Serena??

Good times......

View attachment 496153

And as I said before....if the fake news media are just nothing but the enemy of the people; she should be having more support from the same folks attacking her
I have always had so many question marks about the person on the left. Many many many questions

kids these days are so pampered!

Seriously. If I was born one of the ugliest mo fos around, I'd be clinically depressed. What the hell mated here, zoo animals????

Most incel cucks who spent most of their years paying for pussy or being married to refrigerator built bitches try to call beautiful women ugly.....that's what incels do...

5QXSXMSWZ5FQDMA3IKZUP6HT7Y.jpg

Kudos to her for not screaming "Racism!," as some of our tennis stars would probably do in a similar situation.

Forum List

Back