CDZ Your three favorite philosophers

Peter Egan. I've long lived on his "Pizza and Beer" philosophy.

Todd Snider. Chill out people.

I don't know........

1619894473440.png

One

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Last edited:
Ibn Sina who wrote the proof that God exists.
Socrates for his Hells Angels style of ideal community
Homer, though simply considered a poet, knew it.

Francios Rabelais. Despite his being French, which usually rules out logic, his theories of education offer the young far better potential than currently in vogue. François Rabelais - Wikipedia

Normal Vincent Peale: Positively a genius in overcoming the sort of depression brought on by The Great Chinese Virus abomination. Bit of Sophist in the sense lampooned by Rabelais (see above) but a genuinely nice person.

Yogi Berra: Though his phrasing was often peculiar and ridiculed, beneath it was incredible insight into human nature. Were Berra not an actual person he easily could have been a character written by Rabelais (see above).

Here are my three favorite philosophers.

1. Francis Bacon. To begin with, many are turned off by his writing style, except in all fairness, he lived in 17th century England. The "father of empiricism" seems to have fallen out of favor a bit these days, except I believe he deserves enormous credit for stressing the importance of using direct observations to inductively test the conclusions of our extremely fallible human deductions. In my opinion, his most important message is that he taught us that caution and careful examination of the evidence, rather than bold and audacious speculation, very often leads to our greatest progress even if it does sometimes us take a bit longer to get there. In the end, the Scientific Revolution he spawned actually progressed at a shockingly rapid pace.

2. Rudolf Carnap. I believe Logical Positivism, or Logical Empiricism as many prefer it to be called, is very misunderstood as a philosophical movement. I see it as an attempt to spread the message that calm, dispassionate, analytical thinking should not be limited to only mathematics and the hard, physical sciences and that we should always look for ways to apply rigorous logical analysis wherever we can in life. Rudolf Carnap wrote in a very straightforward, no-nonsense style and he spent his life working to spread the message of how the virtues of calm, dispassionate analytical thinking are beneficial in all aspects of life. He espoused a message that it is important that we do our best to receive communication in a manner of tolerance, and that it is equally important that we do our best to communicate our own thoughts in the most clear, understandable manner in which we are capable.

3. David Stove. I don't usually like philosophers who's best work is of a critical nature, except I must admit a guilty pleasure when reading David Stove's scathing rebukes of irrationalism. "Scientific Irrationalism : Origins of a Postmodern Cult" is one of my favorite books ever. It's lack of popularity has resulted in hard copies of the book being rather expensive, except I fortunately found the Kindle version to be much more affordable. I very highly recommend it to anyone who may be interested. "Against the Idols of the Age" is another one of my favorites.

Footnote: One minor thing I would like to point out is that a few people appear to have misconceptions regarding a particular article of David Stove's titled "Darwinian Fairytales", I can only assume from not having actually read it. David Stove was not a Creationist, he was actually agnostic. He was in fact a huge admirer of Charles Darwin and took no issue with Evolutionary Theory itself. He merely took issue with attempts to apply Darwin's theories to human society.

I was only able to find videos of the first two philosophers on my list.

Francis Bacon

Rudolf Carnap

Please feel free to list your three favorite philosophers and what it is about them that you find most interesting.

John Perkins
Ozzy Osborne
Archie Bunker

1. Francis Bacon. To begin with, many are turned off by his writing style, except in all fairness, he lived in 17th century England. The "father of empiricism" seems to have fallen out of favor a bit these days, except I believe he deserves enormous credit for stressing the importance of using direct observations to inductively test the conclusions of our extremely fallible human deductions. In my opinion, his most important message is that he taught us that caution and careful examination of the evidence, rather than bold and audacious speculation, very often leads to our greatest progress even if it does sometimes us take a bit longer to get there. In the end, the Scientific Revolution he spawned actually progressed at a shockingly rapid pace.

2. Rudolf Carnap. I believe Logical Positivism, or Logical Empiricism as many prefer it to be called, is very misunderstood as a philosophical movement. I see it as an attempt to spread the message that calm, dispassionate, analytical thinking should not be limited to only mathematics and the hard, physical sciences and that we should always look for ways to apply rigorous logical analysis wherever we can in life. Rudolf Carnap wrote in a very straightforward, no-nonsense style and he spent his life working to spread the message of how the virtues of calm, dispassionate analytical thinking are beneficial in all aspects of life. He espoused a message that it is important that we do our best to receive communication in a manner of tolerance, and that it is equally important that we do our best to communicate our own thoughts in the most clear, understandable manner in which we are capable.

3. David Stove. I don't usually like philosophers who's best work is of a critical nature, except I must admit a guilty pleasure when reading David Stove's scathing rebukes of irrationalism. "Scientific Irrationalism : Origins of a Postmodern Cult" is one of my favorite books ever. It's lack of popularity has resulted in hard copies of the book being rather expensive, except I fortunately found the Kindle version to be much more affordable. I very highly recommend it to anyone who may be interested. "Against the Idols of the Age" is another one of my favorites.

Footnote: One minor thing I would like to point out is that a few people appear to have misconceptions regarding a particular article of David Stove's titled "Darwinian Fairytales", I can only assume from not having actually read it. David Stove was not a Creationist, he was actually agnostic. He was in fact a huge admirer of Charles Darwin and took no issue with Evolutionary Theory itself. He merely took issue with attempts to apply Darwin's theories to human society.

Francis Bacon

Rudolf Carnap

Please feel free to list your three favorite philosophers and what it is about them that you find most interesting.

Ayn rand
Plato
Myself.

ply rigorous logical analysis wherever we can in life.

Francis Bacon

Rudolf Carnap

Impractical Academics Ruin Everything

Why can't they modernize Bacon's spelling? I read some letters by Isaac Newton in the chaotic orthography of that time. It makes him look like a retard, or even worse, one of our dumbed-down GenZees.

I like William James, Aristotle, and Plotinus. I respect all the famous ones except Plato and the Twentieth Century decadents. Right now I'm plodding through de Chardin and concluding that he was a very lonely celibate Jesuit who had this desperate need to personalize the universe so he could feel part of something big. He was also a Globalist.

Last edited:
Ayn Rand
Ayn Rand
Ayn Rand
Libretardians Would Institute a Police State, "To Protect Rugged Individualists From Mob Rule"

She was nothing more than the mirror image of Stalin, reversed from Left to Right but just as ugly. It's significant that she used Atlas as her mythological hero. He was just a mindless hulk who supported a primitive world full of chaotic jungles.

Francis Bacon

Rudolf Carnap

Walter Williams, Thomas Sowell........Jordan Peterson.

Neil Gaiman

If you’ve never read any of his books
You don’t know what you are missing

He’s written picture books
The Sandman

Edmund Burke and Karl Marx are my favorite political philosophers. They may seem to be polar opposites, but I read a political thinker for insight, rather than doctrine. Burke was pessimistic about human nature and human potential, and thought there is often wisdom in tradition. I agree. Nevertheless, he unrealistically idealized the French aristocracy and the absolute French monarchy that existed before the French Revolution.

Marx believed that capitalism is good at creating wealth, but bad at distributing wealth. He said that the natural tendency of capitalism is to accumulate wealth and income at the top. Partly as a result capitalist economies experience increasingly destructive economic downturns. That is what happened leading up to the Great Depression. It is happening again because of Republican efforts to repeal Keynesian economic policies.

Marx was wrong about his assertion that loyalties of class are stronger than loyalties of race, nation, and ethnicity. Marx was wrong in believing that revolutions are necessary to achieve economic progress. Burke was right in advocating evolutionary change and a willingness to reverse a change that is having harmful effects.

I see European social democracy as the synthesis of Burke and Marx. Unfortunately, social democracy has only worked for whites. It would work for Orientals. Whites and Orientals deserve to the called "the two civilized races." Of all the races and racial hybrids we have the highest IQ averages and the lowest rates of crime and illegitimacy. Inferior races game the system. We see this happening in Europe. It is happening in the United States because of the successes of the civil rights movement.

In the United States the New Deal and America's victory in World War II were only possible because 90% of the U.S. population was white, and because most Negroes were restricted to second class citizenship. Growing racial diversity is the reason for the political polarization that prevents us from solving problems much less serious than the Great Depression and Axis aggression.

Forum List

Back