Signups for Official USMB Mafia Game #5

I would like to request that we WotC moonglow based on that users high likelyhood of being pinked within a day of game start.

I will leave this up to the players. If three or more players agree, I will allow the WotC to go through.

It is 'Wisdom of the Crowds'. Basically, if a certain number of people would policy lynch someone on day one, WotC lets it play out pre-game.

I don't want moonglow to sign up based on flaking out of every game he/she has signed up for and strong propensity for being banned and needing a replacement.

Edit: It's supposed to be a private, PM to mod with reason thing, but I prefer to let people know why I don't like them.

WotC, also known as Wisdom of the Crowds, is a method of policy-lynching players before the game even starts. (Link).

Wisdom of the Crowds is an optional signup method of excluding Village Idiots or disruptive players without resorting to a traditional moderator-written blacklist.
Here's one way it could work:

Every player who /ins for the game has the right to PM the mod with the name of someone else in the list they ABSOLUTELY don't want to play with. If X people do this about the same player, that individual is removed from the playerlist. Nobody should be posting about this in the signup thread except the mod, who shouldn't say WHO excluded the player. Mods can overrule if they suspect shenanigans, with the understanding that doing so may cause X people to /out from the game (tip: this already happens when you don't remove some players). Obviously this requires some sort of 'comment period' on the last few players, to avoid gaming the system. 24 hours ought to be plenty for that.

If your list is more than X players long, you probably won't be happy in that game regardless of whether several of them get banned. Think of that before trying to ban the entire playerlist out of spite.

Mr. Flay came up with this as a way to move the policy lynch into the pregame. This isn't entirely new. Objective criteria for excluding people from the game have been allowed for a long time (always?). Some mods have lately started refusing people from signups if they get private complaints. This just formalizes it, gives the power of who you play with back to the players, and hopefully will make games run smoother in the future.

I've started using it offsite, and would prefer if players PM me about WotC'ing someone. Unlike the main site, actual reasons are required to want someone WotC'd.

Last edited:
[MENTION=44124]Wake[/MENTION]

I'm on the fence this time. I'd like to play, I'm just not sure it's the "right" thing to do for the game. I'm really busy at work right now and can't be sure I'll be able to devote the time and energy a sincere effort requires. If I pull a town role, no biggie, I'll just get lynched on day one like last time. But if I pull a scum role, it might not be fair to my partners in crime.

Even if you post once every two or three days, it'd be enough. I've not entered into games because of an extreme work week, but days later ended up with time on my hands. :D

I'm lenient on time restrictions, and would be happy to have you join and let you play at your own pace.

Ok, count me in.

fire-vs-ice-wallpaper-1080p-HD.jpg

In the Party: 16 So Far!

Moonglow
Grandma
Wolfsister77
Rosie
AyeCantSeeYou
Sgt_Gath
Mertex
Shaitra
House
BobPlumb
CafeAuLait
FA_Q2
tn5421
manifold
MeBelle60

Maybe Joining the Fray?

[MENTION=27143]BluesMistress[/MENTION]
[MENTION=49728]ScarletRage[/MENTION]
[MENTION=39852]TheOldSchool[/MENTION]

Backup Players:

Sameech

Making some last-minute touches to account for the influx of players. I generally don't like using WotC out of the main site, but if three people agree that Moonglow shouldn't play I'll follow through on that. If Moonglow goes on a vacation again during the game then that's it. If Moonglow remaining in is a dealbreaker, then I'll WotC him. If he's in and goes on a vacation, [MENTION=48997]sameech[/MENTION] will hopefully replace in.

Waiting a bit more, because TheOldSchool and BluesMistress expressed interest in signing up earlier, and Scarlet may be coming back, too. ChrisL is another possibility. I know, the wait is killer, but will likely be worth it. :D

Its always worth it to wait for more players :D

That does really suck for anyone killed on day one though - more players means more weeks of game.

R.D. decided to sit this one out. [MENTION=26838]Ropey[/MENTION], I'm not sure.

Chris, I may be wrong, but I think 2-3 years ago on the other site, you had signed up for one of my games. If I am totally wrong, please forgive me. If correct, and we've met at this same path after these passing years... would you like to play Mafia again? It would be a blast. :D

[MENTION=50165]ChrisL[/MENTION]

Lol! You would be mistaken. Sorry, but I'm not a gamer. I appreciate the invite, and thanks for thinking of me though! :)

Judging by the work schedule, I work for 12 hours straight starting at 9pm tonight. Then I need to work eight more hours straight until 5pm. I'll need to leave for work at 7:30pm today, because the client lives far away. Some potential players have expressed interest, and am needing time to let them join, while finishing up role pms (I did not expect the game to end so quickly).

BluesMistress looks to be joining game #6.

With 16 people, the games will begin at or before Tuesday morning. If I have wi-fi, could be much sooner. Am hoping ScarletRage will turn up; she's been offline for three days from the main site, but may notice the PM I sent her in time. ;)

Alright guys, I've got everything set on who's gonna be what, etc. All I need to do now is make the Role PMs, and send them out. That's it. Once you receive your very own special Role PM, all you need to do is post that you're confirming in this thread. Game starts and players may cast votes when 13/16 players confirm in-thread. You may @mention players as well.

Also, I've updated the game OP, and it's in bold. Enemy teams cannot kill one another because their elemental powers cancel each other out. However, the failed Night Kill attempt will become a Cop effect, in that, for example, Fire Mafia will learn they targeted Ice Mafia. That will make for some very interesting dynamics, as Scum now has to fight to get their rival team lynched. For the newbies here, players will walk you through on what this all means. :D

*Edited to add that Scum teams have Daytalk.

[MENTION=50178]Sgt_Gath[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION]
[MENTION=854]Avatar4321[/MENTION]
[MENTION=30820]Moonglow[/MENTION]
[MENTION=44536]BobPlumb[/MENTION]
[MENTION=40803]House[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13580]CaféAuLait[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31178]MeBelle60[/MENTION]
[MENTION=8806]manifold[/MENTION]
[MENTION=49365]tn5421[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43888]AyeCantSeeYou[/MENTION]
[MENTION=34688]Grandma[/MENTION]