The opiod crisis - what to do?

Any substance can be addictive to an addict. Fact.

Trying to find an equivalence between pot and heroin is stupid.

What I would say is that we haven't really figured out--scientifically--what actually works to cure addiction..

But you just said anything can be addictive.

If you have a family member who is an addict, it is very hard to know what the best options are to get them the help they need. What your insurance is willing to pay for may actually make them worse. A lot of treatment facilities actually give opioid and heroin addicts drugs like suboxone and methadone to help with the withdrawal, and then the addicts become addicted to those drugs.

Have they tried "Just Say No"? That was the prescription for minority communities the last 30-35 years.

So are you talking preventing more people from being addicted to them and not necessarily the people already addicted?

Ah, yes. Definitely. For those already addicted, how about trying "Just Say No"?

Trying to find an equivalence between pot and heroin is stupid.

The commonality is that they are both addictive--and can be life destroying--for addicts. I know something about this subject, I have worked with plenty of youth who are addicted to weed and can't stop smoking, even when it results in them being kicked out and living on the streets. THC is an addictive substance. A bad weed addiction can do a lot of damage to someone's life.

But you just said anything can be addictive.

Those two statements aren't mutually exclusive. Anything can be addictive, and we aren't very successful at treating addiction.

Have they tried "Just Say No"? That was the prescription for minority communities the last 30-35 years.

And how did that work out for those minority communities? I've worked in minority communities for 25 years now. I remember the crack epidemic. I work with the children and grandchildren of that epidemic. Just Say No was yet another failed approach to substance addiction and just illustrates the truth of my statements.

So are you talking preventing more people from being addicted to them and not necessarily the people already addicted?

Ah, yes. Definitely. For those already addicted, how about trying "Just Say No"?

So, some of us are actually interested in thoughtfully discussing the topic of addiction, and this troll just wants to get his jollies.

That makes sense. I was thinking about those already with addiction and it didnt make much sense lol.
Im not sure its that easy.. My buddy(the only heroine junkie i know) lost out on around 55K dollars because he wouldnt say no. His dad died and left everything to his sister. She said she would give him half of the cash if he quit doing heroine for a year. She said she didnt care if started drinking or smoking pot again, just quit the needle. That was two years ago and he is probably passed out at some strangers house right now...

So, some of us are actually interested in thoughtfully discussing the topic of addiction, and this troll just wants to get his jollies.

My point is only now that white people are addicted to heroin as a result of physicians and drug companies pushing opiods, does anyone want to talk about addiction. 35 years ago, when crack was ravaging communities of color to fund shitty wars, the refrain from the white people concern trolling about opiods today was simply, "just say no". Or to throw them in jail. Maybe that kind of tough love is what white people addicted to opiods should get. Hard to see how we can be compassionate about opiod addiction now, when we weren't compassionate about crack addiction 35 years ago.

That makes sense. I was thinking about those already with addiction and it didnt make much sense lol.
Im not sure its that easy.. My buddy(the only heroine junkie i know) lost out on around 55K dollars because he wouldnt say no. His dad died and left everything to his sister. She said she would give him half of the cash if he quit doing heroine for a year. She said she didnt care if started drinking or smoking pot again, just quit the needle. That was two years ago and he is probably passed out at some strangers house right now...

Yeah...I was being overly glib about it because it angers me that suddenly everyone's concerned about drug addiction now that it's affecting white people. My point was that if Just Say No and mass incarcerations were the prescription to deal with crack, shouldn't they be the prescriptions to deal with opiods? That's why I'm content to do nothing for these people. Fuck them. We should absolutely do something to hold drug companies and physicians accountable for what they did, but I'm not content to help these communities out when there are so many communities that have been struggling with drug addiction for decades.

No one cared when far more people were affected by the crack epidemic 30-35 years ago, and that was our own government pumping drugs into the minority communities in order to fund their bullshit wars.

:lol:

I saw a documentary on Netflix of a fire woman in WV who drives around and helps those in need. Those they help all have chemical addictions of numerous kinds. This show focused on those who help others with these addictions and there were some tear jerking moments. Many of these people just regular, blue collar folks who became caught up in it and are trying to come clean, others who died due to their demons.

Here is something that might surprise many, but it shouldn't if one understands history, many of these synthetic drugs are coming from China. Don't be surprised if there is a concerted effort by certain foreign governments to poison Americans, of course; it will be culpable deniability, their authorities will simply look the other way. The British did it to the Chinese over a century ago, which is why they held HK for so long. Canadian police have been reaching out to the Chinese about these shipments, and I am willing to bet there is something far more nefarious behind this.

I bet if you asked the FBI about these issues they could offer some far more startling details than I could. America has to be weary of the enemies of the state who operate from afar.

No one cared when far more people were affected by the crack epidemic 30-35 years ago, and that was our own government pumping drugs into the minority communities in order to fund their bullshit wars.

So when it comes to the cries for action to deal with this crisis, I'm not very sympathetic. Only when it starts affecting white people does anyone care. Let 'em die. I don't give a shit about them.

Maybe those minority communities should have tried "Just Say No". Since the bastard birth rate among blacks is 75%, seems the word no isn't in their vocabulary.

Forum List

Back