USMB Coffee Shop IV

Internet went down again, figured it might be the router as a message I heard this morning when I called said they were having problems with some routers. Probably another "upgrade".
Got back from buying a modem about a half hour ago and sure enough the internet's working fine now.
Ya think the TWC router suspected it was going to be replaced........? :D

Before we got the fancy Xfinity modem that includes Wifi capability, we were using a Netgear router to hook up the home network. We still use the Neatgear router for my desktop PC and an old Sony laptop as these are the only computers in the house not equipped for Wifi and they have to be hardwired to get internet. When those two computers are replaced, we will probably do away with the router.

But sometimes when we have lost interconnectivity--before we got the fancy new modem--the Comcast techs would tell us that Netgear doesn't always play well with their equipment and does require some tweaking or resetting from time to time.
You can purchase wireless dongles for your computers that plug into the usb ports. 10 to 15 bucks

Yes, I know, but I just haven't gotten around to doing that. The way we're set up is pretty simple with no issues at present so I haven't had any reason to worry about it. But who would have thought that this computer, roughly 2 years old, with a terrabyte sized hard drive, 8 gigs ram, fast processor, and all the bells and whistles so that I can run any program I want on it would not be wifi equipped? I even argued with the Comcast tech when he came by to set up the new router and he told me it was not. I didn't want to believe him. :)

Internet went down again, figured it might be the router as a message I heard this morning when I called said they were having problems with some routers. Probably another "upgrade".
Got back from buying a modem about a half hour ago and sure enough the internet's working fine now.

Before we got the fancy Xfinity modem that includes Wifi capability, we were using a Netgear router to hook up the home network. We still use the Neatgear router for my desktop PC and an old Sony laptop as these are the only computers in the house not equipped for Wifi and they have to be hardwired to get internet. When those two computers are replaced, we will probably do away with the router.

But sometimes when we have lost interconnectivity--before we got the fancy new modem--the Comcast techs would tell us that Netgear doesn't always play well with their equipment and does require some tweaking or resetting from time to time.
You can purchase wireless dongles for your computers that plug into the usb ports. 10 to 15 bucks

Yes, I know, but I just haven't gotten around to doing that. The way we're set up is pretty simple with no issues at present so I haven't had any reason to worry about it. But who would have thought that this computer, roughly 2 years old, with a terrabyte sized hard drive, 8 gigs ram, fast processor, and all the bells and whistles so that I can run any program I want on it would not be wifi equipped? I even argued with the Comcast tech when he came by to set up the new router and he told me it was not. I didn't want to believe him. :)

Swipe screen from the right to open Charms, select Settings, click on Change PC Settings, select Wireless then you can turn it on.
This is the windows 8 one, right?

Swipe screen from the right to open Charms, select Settings, click on Change PC Settings, select Wireless then you can turn it on.

Yes. But it doesn't have a wireless card in it that you can turn on.

Hey gang, who does this remind of you? :)

1897870_750042368398975_5328024700495508396_n.jpg

Okay, that's very strange considering it's only 2 years old. Which make and model?

Okay, that's very strange considering it's only 2 years old. Which make and model?

I thought it very strange too, but that's the deal. It's an HP Pavilion. We got it as a black Friday special--under $300 for a LOT of computer but Hombre had to be in line at the store at 4 a.m. that morning to fight the crowd for the good deal. It has been a great computer but for that one little thing.

But the way, they got the second prison escapee. Apparently he was shot during the capture but not fatally. I would guess the folks who live in those parts will be sleeping more soundly tonight.

Had a great weekend. Started off Friday at lunch with my daughter and Harper. She crawled right up in my lap and that was where she ate lunch. So fun to see her light up when we get together. Opa is one of her favorite playmates. Saw her again today and she did the same thing. Counting to 13 and speaking in sentences at two. Get several landscape projects done despite over three inches of rain here Saturday. My two month old lawn mower wouldn't run for more than ten seconds after my first lawn was mowed today. Cleaned the air filter, but it still was not right. Drained the gas out and added fresh fuel and all is well. Completed the last two yards.

I thought it very strange too, but that's the deal. It's an HP Pavilion. We got it as a black Friday special--under $300 for a LOT of computer but Hombre had to be in line at the store at 4 a.m. that morning to fight the crowd for the good deal. It has been a great computer but for that one little thing.
Like I said, that's just weird any manufacturer hasn't added wifi to any of their computers since 2000.
Amazon.com Edimax EW-7811Un 150Mbps 11n Wi-Fi USB Adapter Nano Size Lets You Plug it and Forget it Ideal for Raspberry Pi Supports Windows Mac OS Linux Computers Accessories

Like I said, that's just weird any manufacturer hasn't added wifi to any of their computers since 2000.
Amazon.com Edimax EW-7811Un 150Mbps 11n Wi-Fi USB Adapter Nano Size Lets You Plug it and Forget it Ideal for Raspberry Pi Supports Windows Mac OS Linux Computers Accessories
My top of the line HP 17" touch screen laptop has no wifi either. I dug out my dongle today and the damned thing has been damaged and isn't seen by Linux, Win 7 or Win 8.1

Has anyone tried the free Win 10 Beta?

My top of the line HP 17" touch screen laptop has no wifi either. I dug out my dongle today and the damned thing has been damaged and isn't seen by Linux, Win 7 or Win 8.1

We have all our Windows 8 and Windows 7 scheduled for the free upgrades when it is fully released I think next month.

Okay, I have to ask, what in the heck is a dongle? :lol: Do I want to know what a dongle is?

Dongles are computer peripherals that attach via ports, originally the parallel port. A corded mouse could be considered a dongle, but more often these days dongles are connected via USB and used for networking on bluetooth.

Original definition:

A device that attaches to a computer to control access to a particular application. Dongles provide the most effective means of copy protection. Typically, the dongle attaches to a PC's parallel port. On Macintoshes, the dongle sometimes attaches to the ADB port. The dongle passes through all data coming through the port so it does not prevent the port from being used for other purposes. In fact, it's possible to attach several dongles to the same port.

Dongles are computer peripherals that attach via ports, originally the parallel port. A corded mouse could be considered a dongle, but more often these days dongles are connected via USB and used for networking on bluetooth.

Original definition:

A device that attaches to a computer to control access to a particular application. Dongles provide the most effective means of copy protection. Typically, the dongle attaches to a PC's parallel port. On Macintoshes, the dongle sometimes attaches to the ADB port. The dongle passes through all data coming through the port so it does not prevent the port from being used for other purposes. In fact, it's possible to attach several dongles to the same port.

And to translate that, Chris, in this discussion it is a little plug in device you can put on a computer not equipped to receive Wifi that makes it able to receive Wifi. :)

I really meant to say it doesn't have bluetooth. The wifi works just fine.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
ChrisL's interview,
Mrs. Ernie,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is left on for Freedombecki, Againsheila, Spoonman, Gracie, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

Tonight we feature the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina:

th

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

I really meant to say it doesn't have bluetooth. The wifi works just fine.

Thanks for the clarity. My HP Pavilion with Windows 8 also has Blue Tooth issues. I'm hoping all that clears up when we get Windows 10.

Original definition:

Meh, the conversation was much more interesting when I didn't know what a dongle was. :lol:

Forum List

Back