401(k) - Rebound??

R

rdean

At the end of the Bush administration, my 401(k) lost close to 35% of it's value.

It's completely recovered and is more than 10% higher than was it was before the "crash".

Has anyone else seen a rebound of their 401(k)?

Does that bode well for the economy?

At the end of the Bush administration, my 401(k) lost close to 35% of it's value.

It's completely recovered and is more than 10% higher than was it was before the "crash".

You should've taken your money out of the market when the Democrats assumed control of Congress. I saved a bundle by doing that.

You should've taken your money out of the market when the Democrats assumed control of Congress. I saved a bundle by doing that.

Sure you did.

I've been + in Mine for a couple of Months... Bought Shares Cheap while the Buying was Good...

Anyone who Thought the Stock Market was Over, or would Never Recover should Reconsider their Emotions when Making Money Choices.

I Recovered in just over a Year... Not Bad.

If Sold when it was Down... Damn.

Get out of Gold if you haven't already.

:)

peace...

Mine did. I'm a little afraid of a double dip recession still.

Mine did. I'm a little afraid of a double dip recession still.

Me too. I know the economy runs on "consumer goods" and no one is buying much. I wonder it "green stuff" will help?

You know, if you'd learn the market and how to trade and invest in all economic conditions, your 401k losses would have most likely been marginalized.

Manage your own 401k if you can, and learn to recognize when it's time to exit positions and move your money so that you don't get caught holding the bag if and when the economy leads to a market crash again. And it WILL, again. Only a matter of time.

I dumped half my IRA mutual funds in July '07 and put it in a CD. Broker thought I was looney but with oil at $140, credit markets going stoopid, and housing starting to crater I could see the writing on the wall.
When the market tanked I called him back up and put that CD $ back into mutuals. Sittin' purdy.

I dumped half my IRA mutual funds in July '07 and put it in a CD. Broker thought I was looney but with oil at $140, credit markets going stoopid, and housing starting to crater I could see the writing on the wall.
When the market tanked I called him back up and put that CD $ back into mutuals. Sittin' purdy.

I bet you had this foresight with only rudimentary knowledge of econ too.

Am I right?

You know, if you'd learn the market and how to trade and invest in all economic conditions, your 401k losses would have most likely been marginalized.

Manage your own 401k if you can, and learn to recognize when it's time to exit positions and move your money so that you don't get caught holding the bag if and when the economy leads to a market crash again. And it WILL, again. Only a matter of time.

True. People like rdean lose because they haven't a clue what they're doing.

True. People like rdean lose because they haven't a clue what they're doing.

They expect their 401k to manage itself. They blindly trust that the positions in it are somehow perpetually safe, and blame everyone but themselves when it goes down in value.

At the very least, if the market is at historic highs, you may want to consider exiting. If you don't and then the market corrects or CRASHES, don't be pissed off at political parties. It's no one's fault but your own.

I bet you had this foresight with only rudimentary knowledge of econ too.

Am I right?

Common sense really. Plus I tinkered with some small Scottrade positions over the years and figured why trust Morgan Stanley to give a shit about my holdings. If I didn't make that phone call it wouldn't have happened.

I've seen countless boom-bust cycles in the oil business the past 30 years and the effects they have had on the economy (good and bad). Rudimentary knowledge is better than no knowledge. Folks need to take more control over their own finances.

I was short for much of 2008, made a ton of money, covered and went long too early and lost all that I made on the short side and then some, losing ~5% for the year, my worst year ever. Then, as the market tanked this year, I kept buying aggressively, got hammered in the near-term but made all that up and more by summer. Recently, I have been selling down to lock in profits. So, all and all, its been a good crisis in the Toro household. I bought silver as a trade this week, but put in stops to protect my downside.

I know a lot of good money managers, traders and investors, some who are enormously wealthy. I don't know any successful investors who buy and sell based on which party is in power.

Forum List

Back