42 years to the day... Blackout hits Manhattan...

Yes, I remember the blackout in 2003. Hot dog vendors were charging $5, when it was normally $2 each as no restaurants were open and one couldn't cook any food. Opportunists sob's.

It was out for 2 or 3 days if I recall correctly. Happened while at work in fact.

I do not remember the riots and violence and mayhem back in 1977 from the black out.

My Grandmother worked in the garment district in Manhattan at the time and she was stuck in a packed elevator in a high rise, for hours and hours and hours and hours...

she was 67 years old at the time, did not speak English that well, but others in the elevator were Italian Americans so they were able to keep her more calm...

Weird that this Black out is happening on the same day...

I do not remember the riots and violence and mayhem back in 1977 from the black out.

Selective memory possibly?

Looting and vandalism were widespread, hitting 31 neighborhoods, including most poor neighborhoods in the city. Possibly the hardest hit were Crown Heights, where 75 stores on a five-block stretch were looted, and Bushwick, where arson was rampant with some 25 fires still burning the next morning. At one point two blocks of Broadway, which separates Bushwick from Bedford-Stuyvesant in Brooklyn, were on fire. Thirty-five blocks of Broadway were destroyed: 134 stores looted, 45 of them set ablaze. Thieves stole 50 new Pontiacs from a Bronx car dealership.[1] In Brooklyn, youths were seen backing up cars to targeted stores, tying ropes around the stores' grates, and using their cars to pull the grates away before looting the store.[1] While 550 police officers were injured in the mayhem, 4,500 looters were arrested.[1]

Mayor Abe Beame spoke during the blackout about what citizens were up against during the blackout and what the costs would be.

We've seen our citizens subjected to violence, vandalism, theft, and discomfort. The Blackout has threatened our safety and has seriously impacted our economy. We've been needlessly subjected to a night of terror in many communities that have been wantonly looted and burned. The costs when finally tallied will be enormous.[3]

During New York's 2003 blackout, The New York Times ran a description of the blackout of 1977:

Because of the power failure, LaGuardia and Kennedy airports were closed down for about eight hours, automobile tunnels were closed because of lack of ventilation, and 4,000 people had to be evacuated from the subway system. ConEd called the shutdown an "act of God", enraging Mayor Beame, who charged that the utility was guilty of "gross negligence."[4]

In all, 1,616 stores were damaged in looting and rioting. A total of 1,037 fires were responded to, including 14 multiple-alarm fires. In the largest mass arrest in city history, 3,776 people were arrested. Many had to be stuffed into overcrowded cells, precinct basements and other makeshift holding pens. A congressional study estimated that the cost of damages amounted to a little over $300 million (equivalent to $1.2 billion in 2017).

Despite the massive looting and violence that had accompanied it, only one homicide occurred. Dominick Ciscone, a Brooklyn teenager and aspiring mobster, was shot on Smith Street in Carroll Gardens while in the company of some friends; he died at the scene. Police investigated several people in the neighborhood with whom he had ongoing disputes, but never identified any suspects. In 1997 they received some more tips from individuals who did not identify themselves but whom they believed genuinely might know who committed the crime; they did not respond to pleas to identify themselves. As of 2018 the killing remains unsolved.[5]

Shea Stadium went dark at approximately 9:30 p.m., in the bottom of the sixth inning, with Lenny Randle at bat. The New York Mets were losing 2–1 against the Chicago Cubs. Jane Jarvis, Shea's organist and "Queen of Melody", played "Jingle Bells" and "White Christmas". The game was completed on September 16, with the Cubs winning 5–2.[6]

It would not be until the next morning that power would begin being restored to those areas affected. Around 7 a.m. on July 14, a section of Queens became the first area to get power back, followed shortly afterwards by Lenox Hill, Manhattan; the neighboring Yorkville area on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, though, would turn out to be one of the very last areas to get power back that Thursday evening. By 1:45 p.m., service was restored to half of Con Edison's customers, mostly in Staten Island and Queens. It was not until 10:39 p.m. on July 14 that the entire city's power was back online.

For much of July 14, most of the television stations in New York City were off the air (as the areas where those TV stations were located were still without power for much of the day), although WCBS-TV (Channel 2) and WNBC-TV (Channel 4) did manage to stay on the air thanks to gas and diesel-fueled generators, resuming their broadcasts only 25 and 88 minutes after the blackout began, respectively.[7] Also, although much of New York City was still without power, Belmont Park (a racetrack on the border of Queens and Nassau County in Elmont) did stage their scheduled racing program that afternoon in front of a relatively sparse crowd, as many thought racing would be cancelled that day due to the blackout.

During the blackout, numerous looters stole DJ equipment from electronics stores. As a result, the hip hop genre, barely known outside the Bronx at the time, grew at an astounding rate from 1977 onward.[8] Three decades later, Curtis Fisher recalled for a Slate article and podcast that, when the power went out, he and his partner DJ Disco Wiz were playing records, running their equipment from an outlet in a park. At first they thought the outage was local and caused by something they had done, but realized when they heard stores closing that it was citywide. He took advantage of the community's vulnerability to steal a mixing board from a local business, as did other aspiring rappers and DJs. "I went right to the place where I bought my first set of DJ equipment, and I went and got me a mixer out of there."[9]

The blackout also caused complications for the producers of the film Superman, who were shooting in the area.

The city was eventually given over $11 million by the Carter administration to pay for the damages of the blackout.[3]

Selective memory possibly?

Looting and vandalism were widespread, hitting 31 neighborhoods, including most poor neighborhoods in the city. Possibly the hardest hit were Crown Heights, where 75 stores on a five-block stretch were looted, and Bushwick, where arson was rampant with some 25 fires still burning the next morning. At one point two blocks of Broadway, which separates Bushwick from Bedford-Stuyvesant in Brooklyn, were on fire. Thirty-five blocks of Broadway were destroyed: 134 stores looted, 45 of them set ablaze. Thieves stole 50 new Pontiacs from a Bronx car dealership.[1] In Brooklyn, youths were seen backing up cars to targeted stores, tying ropes around the stores' grates, and using their cars to pull the grates away before looting the store.[1] While 550 police officers were injured in the mayhem, 4,500 looters were arrested.[1]

Mayor Abe Beame spoke during the blackout about what citizens were up against during the blackout and what the costs would be.

We've seen our citizens subjected to violence, vandalism, theft, and discomfort. The Blackout has threatened our safety and has seriously impacted our economy. We've been needlessly subjected to a night of terror in many communities that have been wantonly looted and burned. The costs when finally tallied will be enormous.[3]

During New York's 2003 blackout, The New York Times ran a description of the blackout of 1977:

Because of the power failure, LaGuardia and Kennedy airports were closed down for about eight hours, automobile tunnels were closed because of lack of ventilation, and 4,000 people had to be evacuated from the subway system. ConEd called the shutdown an "act of God", enraging Mayor Beame, who charged that the utility was guilty of "gross negligence."[4]

In all, 1,616 stores were damaged in looting and rioting. A total of 1,037 fires were responded to, including 14 multiple-alarm fires. In the largest mass arrest in city history, 3,776 people were arrested. Many had to be stuffed into overcrowded cells, precinct basements and other makeshift holding pens. A congressional study estimated that the cost of damages amounted to a little over $300 million (equivalent to $1.2 billion in 2017).

Despite the massive looting and violence that had accompanied it, only one homicide occurred. Dominick Ciscone, a Brooklyn teenager and aspiring mobster, was shot on Smith Street in Carroll Gardens while in the company of some friends; he died at the scene. Police investigated several people in the neighborhood with whom he had ongoing disputes, but never identified any suspects. In 1997 they received some more tips from individuals who did not identify themselves but whom they believed genuinely might know who committed the crime; they did not respond to pleas to identify themselves. As of 2018 the killing remains unsolved.[5]

Shea Stadium went dark at approximately 9:30 p.m., in the bottom of the sixth inning, with Lenny Randle at bat. The New York Mets were losing 2–1 against the Chicago Cubs. Jane Jarvis, Shea's organist and "Queen of Melody", played "Jingle Bells" and "White Christmas". The game was completed on September 16, with the Cubs winning 5–2.[6]

It would not be until the next morning that power would begin being restored to those areas affected. Around 7 a.m. on July 14, a section of Queens became the first area to get power back, followed shortly afterwards by Lenox Hill, Manhattan; the neighboring Yorkville area on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, though, would turn out to be one of the very last areas to get power back that Thursday evening. By 1:45 p.m., service was restored to half of Con Edison's customers, mostly in Staten Island and Queens. It was not until 10:39 p.m. on July 14 that the entire city's power was back online.

For much of July 14, most of the television stations in New York City were off the air (as the areas where those TV stations were located were still without power for much of the day), although WCBS-TV (Channel 2) and WNBC-TV (Channel 4) did manage to stay on the air thanks to gas and diesel-fueled generators, resuming their broadcasts only 25 and 88 minutes after the blackout began, respectively.[7] Also, although much of New York City was still without power, Belmont Park (a racetrack on the border of Queens and Nassau County in Elmont) did stage their scheduled racing program that afternoon in front of a relatively sparse crowd, as many thought racing would be cancelled that day due to the blackout.

During the blackout, numerous looters stole DJ equipment from electronics stores. As a result, the hip hop genre, barely known outside the Bronx at the time, grew at an astounding rate from 1977 onward.[8] Three decades later, Curtis Fisher recalled for a Slate article and podcast that, when the power went out, he and his partner DJ Disco Wiz were playing records, running their equipment from an outlet in a park. At first they thought the outage was local and caused by something they had done, but realized when they heard stores closing that it was citywide. He took advantage of the community's vulnerability to steal a mixing board from a local business, as did other aspiring rappers and DJs. "I went right to the place where I bought my first set of DJ equipment, and I went and got me a mixer out of there."[9]

The blackout also caused complications for the producers of the film Superman, who were shooting in the area.

The city was eventually given over $11 million by the Carter administration to pay for the damages of the blackout.[3]
I was just a kid at the time and did not follow politics or the news regularly... Our neighborhood in Brooklyn where my grandparents had a home was safe... I even walked to school, a mile or so away, by myself or with my sister... and my mother who was overly protective, had no problem with it... amazing how times have changed,

A cloudy, windless day and it's free-for-all in city streets.

FREE STUFF!

FREE STIFF!

These days no riots....only theft.

And in nine months one will be hard pressed to find a Carvel ice cream cake with which to celebrate their birthday...

He was just elected President and had been in office for only 5 months at the time.... :rolleyes: Surely you are not blaming him?

Why would this remind me of the blame 43 received for 9/11... And please don't call me Surely...

Rural areas incur blackouts without problems. The "direcho" a couple of years ago put the power out in my area for the better part of a week and was uncomfortable but easily endured. I wonder if they did statistics on the birth rate of the next April.

best to always have substantial cash and tobacco products in you pockets . Better yet , best to live RURAL with some defensive items near to hand and in the house and a fully stocked household .

I was just a kid at the time and did not follow politics or the news regularly... Our neighborhood in Brooklyn where my grandparents had a home was safe... I even walked to school, a mile or so away, by myself or with my sister... and my mother who was overly protective, had no problem with it... amazing how times have changed,

I know, I know, I know... up hill both ways in the snow... I went to the same school only out in the giggleweeds...

He was just elected President and had been in office for only 5 months at the time.... :rolleyes: Surely you are not blaming him?

Why would this remind me of the blame 43 received for 9/11... And please don't call me Surely...
You guys on this site are a bunch of old farts!!!! :p Just a bunch of Grumpy Old Men...!!! Life is good, and there is more to it, than politics and Democrats are evil... Start living it again, and enjoy it!

hmm, it happened, in fact the following January thru April I was in San Diego and at some point they had an overnight blackout and news reports compared it to the NYC blackout highlighting the fact that there was no rioting and looting like in NYC.

I know, I know, I know... up hill both ways in the snow... I went to the same school only out in the giggleweeds...
OH SHUD UP!!!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Forum List

Back