50+ Club

Skeptic1959

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2020
Shout out to the older than 50 club...remember the good old days of sports in the 1970s? Great time to grow up with pro sports!

My favorite baseball player growing up....
1604673955108.png

Miami Dolphins , Atlanta Braves those were my teams in the 70s. It was a great time for sports. Boxing was the best in all weight classes. Favorite baseball player at the time. Hank Arron. Mostly just waiting to see him knock another over the fence. The 70s were my Jr .High and High School days.

I'm 5 years older than you. At my first baseball game, Juan Marichal was pitching against Sandy Koufax. I got to see a Willy Mays home run, Maury Wills steal a base and a whole lot of hot dog wrappers swirling around in the winds of the worst ballpark in America.

I do not remember it too well ,I was really young. But I met Roberto Clemente during a spring training game here in Florida. He heard me and my cousin talking and asked another player what language was it. They player told him we were country hicks. Roberto Clemente put his hand on top of my head and said " Learn to speak English properly if you want to succeed:).

I do not remember it too well ,I was really young. But I met Roberto Clemente during a spring training game here in Florida. He heard me and my cousin talking and asked another player what language was it. They player told him we were country hicks. Roberto Clemente put his hand on top of my head and said " Learn to speak English properly if you want to succeed:).
That's a great story! I was at opening day in Pittsburgh circa 1970's and it was standing room only so I was standing above the St. Louis Cardinals' bullpen and looking down at Bob Gibson warming up not realizing there was a beer on the ground so as I peered over to get a closer look I accidentally knocked over the beer and walked away quickly when I realized it was spilling on the pitching coach's head! I was about 15-16 years old at the time. Seems so long ago! :( But I was at every season opener for about 9 straight years beginning in 1973.

To lg325, yes, I was a huge boxing fan more than now back then and the 70s had some of the best boxers ever. I actually even remember watching James Scott boxing on Saturday afternoons from inside Rahway Prison!

Forum List

Back