A fast food chain unlike anything in America

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
>> A former Costco executive is launching America's first fast-food chain that has been certified organic by the USDA.

Erica Welton was a food buyer for Costco for 14 years before leaving to launch the restaurant chain, called The Organic Coup. "We saw this huge shift happening at Costco with people purchasing more and more organic food," Welton told Business Insider.

... So she launched Organic Coup.

The first location opened last month in Pleasanton, California. Welton plans to open 25 more restaurants over the next 14 months, mainly on the West Coast. Eventually, she wants to expand to cities including Las Vegas, New York City, Austin, and Chicago, she said.

Welton went through the process of getting the chain certified by the USDA because she wanted customers to be able to trust Organic Coup's promise of organic food. "I didn’t really understand how few restaurants were certified," she said. "I was shocked to find out that we were actually America’s first certified-organic fast-food chain."

Organic Coup is pricier than your average fast-food restaurant. The fried chicken sandwich costs $8.99, compared to under $4 for a chicken sandwich at Chick-fil-A. But it seems like plenty of people are willing to pay up for the organic label. The restaurant has only been open for about four weeks and it has already racked up nearly 100 reviews on Yelp and Facebook. <<​

A_former_Costco_executive_is-43c5ec7aa039f150062ebd7886f1a6c7

What the article doesn't mention: Costco is universally acclaimed to be a business that treats and pays its workers well like the valued capital resources they are. I'm betting Organic Coup's employees will be, and are, in a far better place than yer typical chain gang food facility.

Link here

>> A former Costco executive is launching America's first fast-food chain that has been certified organic by the USDA.

Erica Welton was a food buyer for Costco for 14 years before leaving to launch the restaurant chain, called The Organic Coup. "We saw this huge shift happening at Costco with people purchasing more and more organic food," Welton told Business Insider.

The first location opened last month in Pleasanton, California. Welton plans to open 25 more restaurants over the next 14 months, mainly on the West Coast. Eventually, she wants to expand to cities including Las Vegas, New York City, Austin, and Chicago, she said.

Welton went through the process of getting the chain certified by the USDA because she wanted customers to be able to trust Organic Coup's promise of organic food. "I didn’t really understand how few restaurants were certified," she said. "I was shocked to find out that we were actually America’s first certified-organic fast-food chain."

Organic Coup is pricier than your average fast-food restaurant. The fried chicken sandwich costs $8.99, compared to under $4 for a chicken sandwich at Chick-fil-A. But it seems like plenty of people are willing to pay up for the organic label. The restaurant has only been open for about four weeks and it has already racked up nearly 100 reviews on Yelp and Facebook. <<​

What the article doesn't mention: Costco is universally acclaimed to be a business that treats and pays its workers well like the valued capital resources they are. I'm betting Organic Coup's employees will be, and are, in a far better place than yer typical chain gang food facility.

Link here

Hmmm ...

Aren't all chickens organic?

Link here

Hmmm ...

Not with all the poison in the chicken feed.

guess I been eating lots of poison in my 66 years and here I am . Course I grow food and its done mostly organically but I've only been doing that for maybe 20 years and even that's off and on . Anyway , 9 dollar a chicken sandwich mentioned above is too rich for me especially when I'd want 2 of them !!

I've been eating typical death-food for 63 years and I'm as healthy as they come. BP 120/70, resting rate 56, cholesterol 80.

an evul capitalist sees a niche, fills it and takes money to the bank.

good for her

I'd check it out, by myself. $9 for a chicken sammich is a bit much for a family outting

That doesn't mean the price of OC's fare is high; it means the price of the cardboard the McBurpers churn out for the unwashed is artificially low.

Last edited:

Link here

Hmmm ...

"Chicken feed" :lol:

My neighbors' chickens come to graze in my yard. Ain't no poison out there.

Link here
The line is full of obese people, so good luck.

It won't last in my opinion. There is really no difference between organic and "in" organic chickens, just in what they eat. People are going to say, 4 dollars at Wendy's and 8 at this place, what the hell it is just a damn chicken. That and Wendy's should easily get to be organically certified, considering there really isn't much of a difference.

Link here

Hmmm ...

Do you fertilize your yard or use any kind of pesticide?

Link here

Hmmm ...

Is that true? And what and who is being poisoned? Call the police.

Link here

Hmmm ...

Nope. Never.

Link here

Hmmm ...

Nope. Never.

I don't either, I don't want to encourage something that makes work for me.

Link here
The line is full of obese people, so good luck.

Also known as "Americans". Perhaps trying to do something about it.

I'll be in that area in a month or so and will give it a try. I'll let you know how they are...

It won't last in my opinion. There is really no difference between organic and "in" organic chickens, just in what they eat. People are going to say, 4 dollars at Wendy's and 8 at this place, what the hell it is just a damn chicken. That and Wendy's should easily get to be organically certified, considering there really isn't much of a difference.

Y'all seem to be fixated on chickens for some reason. "Organic" generally refers to the plant world. Like the various vegetables and condiments they use AROUND the chicken -- or other centerpoint.

Link here

Hmmm ...

Is that true? And what and who is being poisoned? Call the police.
The chemicals in the food on chicken farms cause the chickens to grow to full size in 3 or four weeks and that makes me skeptical about the meat.

Forum List

Back