A photo of petrified wood in Arizona went viral and it only took 225 million years

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
The petrified forest began to form more than 200 million years ago when its trees were washed over and covered with sediment that prevented them from decaying. The porous wood absorbed silica from volcanic ash and gradually began to crystallize into quartz over the millennia.

A photo of petrified wood in Arizona went viral and it only took 225 million years

225 million years- that is a long time- one of the comments said in 225 million years human bones will be in museums

225 yr
The petrified forest began to form more than 200 million years ago when its trees were washed over and covered with sediment that prevented them from decaying. The porous wood absorbed silica from volcanic ash and gradually began to crystallize into quartz over the millennia.

225 million years- that is a long time- one of the comments said in 225 million years human bones will be in museums
225 million yrs my ass,,,who measured it and what ruler did they use??

225 million yrs my ass,,,who measured it and what ruler did they use??
Time isn't measured with a ruler.
you ever heard of a metaphor,,,its a measuring device

and they want us to believe that a log laid out in open air for 225 million yrs while being slowly covered in blowing sand and rain without rotting,,,

you can believe what you want but I will stick with reality,,,

and they want us to believe that a log laid out in open air
I suspect you might "dig" a little deeper. Your knowledge is incomplete.

What is Petrified Wood? How Does it Form?

The most famous locality for observing petrified wood is Petrified Forest National Park near the community of Holbrook in northeastern Arizona. About 225 million years ago, this area was a lowland with a tropical climate and covered by a dense forest. Rivers flooded by tropical rain storms washed mud and other sediments into the lowlands. Enormous coniferous trees up to 9 feet in diameter and 200 feet tall lived and died in these lowlands. Fallen trees and broken branches were often buried by the river sediments. Nearby volcanoes erupted numerous times. These eruptions blanketed the area in volcanic ash with a high silica content.

Rapid burial allowed the plant debris to escape destruction by oxygen and insects
. The soluble ash was dissolved by groundwater flowing through the sediments. The dissolved ash served as a source of silica that replaced the plant debris, creating petrified wood. Trace amounts of iron, manganese and other minerals were included in the silica and gave the petrified wood a variety of colors. These sediments, plant debris, and volcanic ash became part of a rock unit known today as the Chinle Formation.

In the millions of years after the Chinle Formation was deposited, .the area was uplifted and the rocks deposited above the Chinle were eroded away.

log-accumulation.jpg

Wow.. That's awesome. I was a rock hed as a kid and had some petrified wood, small chunks. They were cool, very heavy too.

Bout 15 years I sustained myself by making and customizing knives. I worked with lots of shell and pearl but my favorite was "Mastodon Ivory" It also laid in the ground, much the outer "bark" turned crystaline from minerals too. Beautiful stuff.

ipl.jpg
ipr.jpg
3paual.jpg

First two are mammoth bark, 3rd pic abalone on German Hubertus. www.hermitriver.com if you want to see more. My Fav were "Puukkos" but most popular were switchers. You'll find knives that were customized and scratch knives both forged or stock removal.

I have had much prettier Mastodon Ivory, much borders on blue.

There are a couple of areas near Winslow where you can legally hunt for specimens of petrified wood. You won't find entire trees but small pieces of branches and a lot of bark. Look for eroded power lines. Most gem stores have petrified wood at a reasonable price or you can spring for a couple of thou on a length of log that you won't be able to pick up.

Forum List

Back