Am I wearing out my studs?

Kooshdakhaa

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2011
Alaska
I think I'm wearing out my studs on my tires! :crybaby:

We're allowed to have them on Sepember 15 through April 30th. The snow is gone from the roads and I'm driving my studs on bare pavement. Tried to get them changed yesterday but there was a huge line and i couldn't leave my car there all day, I needed it.

My work is very demanding right now or I would just take off some time during the week when it's probably a little less busy and go get in line. They take appointments, but the soonest appointment I could get was May 1st (which is a work day, but screw them, I'm taking some time off).

Anyway, I'm freaking out that I'm wearing my studs out. I'm probably only going to put about 120 miles on the car between now and when i get the tires changed, so I should probably just relax. But every time I drive and listen to those studs on the bare pavement i just cringe.

From now on I will make appointments for this at least a month in advance! Same with getting the studded tires put back on next fall!

Thoughts? (And if you're going to talk about how studs tear the roads up, I'm not interested. You should see some of the winter conditions we drive on routinely! I won't consider going without the studded tires.)

I think I'm wearing out my studs on my tires! :crybaby:

We're allowed to have them on Sepember 15 through April 30th. The snow is gone from the roads and I'm driving my studs on bare pavement. Tried to get them changed yesterday but there was a huge line and i couldn't leave my car there all day, I needed it.

My work is very demanding right now or I would just take off some time during the week when it's probably a little less busy and go get in line. They take appointments, but the soonest appointment I could get was May 1st (which is a work day, but screw them, I'm taking some time off).

Anyway, I'm freaking out that I'm wearing my studs out. I'm probably only going to put about 120 miles on the car between now and when i get the tires changed, so I should probably just relax. But every time I drive and listen to those studs on the bare pavement i just cringe.

From now on I will make appointments for this at least a month in advance! Same with getting the studded tires put back on next fall!

Thoughts? (And if you're going to talk about how studs tear the roads up, I'm not interested. You should see some of the winter conditions we drive on routinely! I won't consider going without the studded tires.)

Yes, but not enough to be concerned with.

Doesn't the noise drive you crazy?

No, I'm pretty used to it. A lot of people run studs in the winter up here, and the roads sometimes have bare spots even in winter, so we're kind of accustomed to the sound of studs on pavement.

But I will say this...when you take them off in the spring, the first time you hear that nice, quiet hum of the tires on pavement it's pretty cool.

But in the fall when I put them back on...I'm always comforted by the crunchy sound of the studs, knowing I'm ready for anything the weather's going to throw at us! :)

When I first leased this car in October, I contemplated going without studs since it's an AWD vehicle. I had previously always driven 2WD vehicles and always went with studs.

I decided to get the studded tires, and boy I was glad I did. We had a lot of bad icy roads this past winter, and studs rule when it comes to ice. Although you have to drive properly, also!

Last edited:
I'm kinda sleepy, but not worn out yet.

Yeah, Pop23, I guess some of this type of conversation taken out of context is kind of funny.

"I always went with studs." "Dont' know what I'd do without studs." "Studs are the way to go."

That sort of thing. :lol:

Forum List

Back