And the nightmare begins for SunPower solar customers

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
As the government backs out of its subsidies commitments allowing the renewable energy alternatives to compete on the open market you're going to see more and more of this.
Unless you are an electrician or an electrical engineer there isn't much you can do about a malfunctioning solar panel system. You can call a third party but you're going to pay out of your ass for them to come in and fix what might not be working.

Inverters are the usual suspect. They tend to overheat and blow especially in the hot weather. An inverter for an average size home system can run anywhere from $7,000 to $15,000 depending on the quality and duty load of the machine. If your supplier is gone bankrupt good luck trying to get a replacement without having to pay all of it out of your pocket with installation fees to boot.

As the government backs out of its subsidies commitments allowing the renewable energy alternatives to compete on the open market you're going to see more and more of this.
Unless you are an electrician or an electrical engineer there isn't much you can do about a malfunctioning solar panel system. You can call a third party but you're going to pay out of your ass for them to come in and fix what might not be working.

Inverters are the usual suspect. They tend to overheat and blow especially in the hot weather. An inverter for an average size home system can run anywhere from $7,000 to $15,000 depending on the quality and duty load of the machine. If your supplier is gone bankrupt good luck trying to get a replacement without having to pay all of it out of your pocket with installation fees to boot.

this being america, these state governments are free to be as stupid as they want, and private corporations are not guaranteed success.

maybe removing a few of the subsidies on the energy monopolies or smashing them to pieces with antitrust would allow them to compete with renewable sources on a more capitalist playing field?

this being america, these state governments are free to be as stupid as they want, and private corporations are not guaranteed success.

maybe removing a few of the subsidies on the energy monopolies or smashing them to pieces with antitrust would allow them to compete with renewable sources on a more capitalist playing field?
This is just the beginning

economic analysis must include lifespan maintenance.
Yeah I'm told that a lot of the companies are offering 40-year guarantees but I don't know what they guaranteeing. Degradation is definitely a factor in solar panels.

I know this because I operated a commercial field of 5 megawatts capacity for 5 years. In the course of 5 years that field degraded by roughly 11%.

yes it is JO

all those mandates juxtaposed to manufacturers bowing out are going to bite us ALL in the a**

~S~

Repairing the modules will be EXPENSIVE. Most equiped with auto Parrallelling electronics back to the grid.

Which when fail can damage the grid.

If we took a average common solar panel installed in the last 15 years, smashed it up in a big bucket of water, the contents would likely include the following:

Organized alphabetically:

- Aluminum (Al)

- Aluminum-doped Zinc Oxide (AZO)

- Boron (B)

- Cadmium Sulfide (CdS)

- Cadmium Telluride (CdTe)

- Copper (Cu)

- Ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA)

- Gallium (Ga)

- Glass

- Hydrogen (H)

- Indium (In)

- Indium Tin Oxide (ITO)

- Lead (Pb)

- Molybdenum (Mo)

- Phosphorus (P)

- Plastic and Polymers

- Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)

- Polyvinyl Butyral (PVB)

- Selenium (Se)

- Silicon (Si)

- Silicon dioxide (SiO2)

- Silver (Ag)

- Sodium (Na)

- Tedlar (PVF)

- Water (H20)

- Zinc Oxide (ZnO)

Which of these chemicals and constituents are you fine with in your residential water supply?

~S~

Yeah I'm told that a lot of the companies are offering 40-year guarantees but I don't know what they guaranteeing. Degradation is definitely a factor in solar panels.

I know this because I operated a commercial field of 5 megawatts capacity for 5 years. In the course of 5 years that field degraded by roughly 11%.
i am a EE but this is not my specialty.

i think the price of these things is becoming lower as production ramps up, but there are some serious quality issues.

note for me to research. brad pitt's "build it better" is about 20 years old soon. the experiment of building solar houses for low income families should have some intersting statistics by now. and it is a short bike ride for me.

The guy who used to live across from me started a solar company (well it's in his wife's name) and he told me straight-up that he makes the bulk of his money on maintenance.

We have a natural gas power plant down the road, and we dont have any rolling blackouts. When we have severe storms there might be a power outage but my house has a nat gas Generac generator for backup so my lights dont stay out long.

When the government built the NOAA headquarters over in Suitland Md., there was a solar power array there left from the previous agency. When it was hooked up and running, i asked what the benefit of that array was, and was told, it would be enough energy to keep the government refrigerators running in case there was a power outage. Oh boy, was that money well spent....Typical of a wasteful government.

If we took a average common solar panel installed in the last 15 years, smashed it up in a big bucket of water, the contents would likely include the following:

Organized alphabetically:

- Aluminum (Al)

- Aluminum-doped Zinc Oxide (AZO)

- Boron (B)

- Cadmium Sulfide (CdS)

- Cadmium Telluride (CdTe)

- Copper (Cu)

- Ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA)

- Gallium (Ga)

- Glass

- Hydrogen (H)

- Indium (In)

- Indium Tin Oxide (ITO)

- Lead (Pb)

- Molybdenum (Mo)

- Phosphorus (P)

- Plastic and Polymers

- Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)

- Polyvinyl Butyral (PVB)

- Selenium (Se)

- Silicon (Si)

- Silicon dioxide (SiO2)

- Silver (Ag)

- Sodium (Na)

- Tedlar (PVF)

- Water (H20)

- Zinc Oxide (ZnO)

Which of these chemicals and constituents are you fine with in your residential water supply?

~S~
Geezus ... If I know about the molybdenum I'd be trying to recover it for scrap. That shit sells for big buckaroos.

Forum List

Back