Anita Hill: Joe Biden’s Apology Is ‘Not Enough’

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
5a15a948150000b53485976a.jpeg

“He said, ‘I am sorry if she felt she didn’t get a fair hearing.’ That’s sort of an ‘I’m sorry if you were offended.’”

Anita Hill said former Vice President Joe Biden’s recent apology for his handling of her 1991 Senate testimony against then-Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas is “not enough” to make up for his failure at the time “to show leadership on this issue on behalf of women’s equality.”

“He said, ‘I am sorry if she felt she didn’t get a fair hearing.’ That’s sort of an ‘I’m sorry if you were offended,’” Hill said in a wide-ranging Washington Post interview published Wednesday in which she also compared her time in the spotlight with unfairness that remains for women facing workplace sexual harassment.

Biden, who chaired the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing considering Thomas’ Supreme Court nomination, was asked on Nov. 13 about his widely criticized handling of Hill’s testimony that Thomas had sexually harassed her when they worked together.

Hill’s testimony led to attacks on her credibility. Thomas, meanwhile, was narrowly confirmed to the high court.

“Let’s get something straight here: I believed Anita Hill. I voted against Clarence Thomas,” Biden said. He added: “I am so sorry that she had to go through what she went through.”

“The only issue in the Anita Hill case was whether or not there could be information submitted in a record without a name attached to it, anonymously accusing someone of something,” he continued, referring to criticisms that other women were not permitted to testify against Thomas.

Neither Biden nor Thomas would comment on Hill’s remarks reported in The Washington Post.

Hill said Biden’s apology omits “his role in what happened.”

“He also doesn’t understand that it wasn’t just that I felt it was not fair,” Hill said. “It was that women were looking to the Senate Judiciary Committee and his leadership to really open the way to have these kinds of hearings. They should have been using best practices to show leadership on this issue on behalf of women’s equality. And they did just the opposite.”

Hill also said that she does not feel Biden has taken “responsibility for” victimization she experienced as a result of the hearing.

More: Anita Hill: Joe Biden's Apology Is 'Not Enough'

I watched that hearing live. Biden really screwed over Anita Hill. Biden panicked after Thomas made his "high-tech lynching" comment. Anita Hill was credible then and she is credible now. She is a fine lady.

NaziCons can't say I never call out Democrats for dishonorable behavior. Biden's behavior was dishonorable. So was Ted Kennedy's.

“He said, ‘I am sorry if she felt she didn’t get a fair hearing.’ That’s sort of an ‘I’m sorry if you were offended.’”

Anita Hill said former Vice President Joe Biden’s recent apology for his handling of her 1991 Senate testimony against then-Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas is “not enough” to make up for his failure at the time “to show leadership on this issue on behalf of women’s equality.”

“He said, ‘I am sorry if she felt she didn’t get a fair hearing.’ That’s sort of an ‘I’m sorry if you were offended,’” Hill said in a wide-ranging Washington Post interview published Wednesday in which she also compared her time in the spotlight with unfairness that remains for women facing workplace sexual harassment.

Biden, who chaired the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing considering Thomas’ Supreme Court nomination, was asked on Nov. 13 about his widely criticized handling of Hill’s testimony that Thomas had sexually harassed her when they worked together.

Hill’s testimony led to attacks on her credibility. Thomas, meanwhile, was narrowly confirmed to the high court.

“Let’s get something straight here: I believed Anita Hill. I voted against Clarence Thomas,” Biden said. He added: “I am so sorry that she had to go through what she went through.”

“The only issue in the Anita Hill case was whether or not there could be information submitted in a record without a name attached to it, anonymously accusing someone of something,” he continued, referring to criticisms that other women were not permitted to testify against Thomas.

Neither Biden nor Thomas would comment on Hill’s remarks reported in The Washington Post.

“He also doesn’t understand that it wasn’t just that I felt it was not fair,” Hill said. “It was that women were looking to the Senate Judiciary Committee and his leadership to really open the way to have these kinds of hearings. They should have been using best practices to show leadership on this issue on behalf of women’s equality. And they did just the opposite.”

Hill also said that she does not feel Biden has taken “responsibility for” victimization she experienced as a result of the hearing.

I watched that hearing live. Biden really screwed over Anita Hill. Biden panicked after Thomas made his "high-tech lynching" comment. Anita Hill was credible then and she is credible now. She is a fine lady.

It's an old lie. Who cares?

God, is that skank still around?

NaziCons can't say I never call out Democrats for dishonorable behavior. Biden's behavior was dishonorable. So was Ted Kennedy's.

Wow you "condemn" a dead guy, and another who's "sell by" date is long over. Sooooooo compelling..

A new America where you are guilty just because an allegation has been made.

So Clarence Thomas alledges that his hearing was a high tech lynching and so it was!

A new America where you are guilty just because an allegation has been made.
Essentially. The entire OP article is whining against Biden because he did not aid this woman in institutionalizing the right to have witch trials based on nothing more than accusations.

That rotten bastard!

White women all across the country are crawling out of their wood sheds to proclaim sexual harrassment and change is a coming....Anita on the other hand, called out Uncle Tom Thomas and Orin Hatch, that wrinkled piece of shit, pretty much shammed this black woman out of existance.....one thing is certain, the GOP can grope, rape, harrass and intimidate all they want....

White women all across the country are crawling out of their wood sheds to proclaim sexual harrassment and change is a coming....Anita on the other hand, called out Uncle Tom Thomas and Orin Hatch, that wrinkled piece of shit, pretty much shammed this black woman out of existance.....one thing is certain, the GOP can grope, rape, harrass and intimidate all they want....
Listen to racist calling a successful black man uncle tom.

She’s pissed because he married a classy white woman.

Funny. What's "classy" about her?

Funny. What's "classy" about her?
Everything.

Forum List

Back