🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Any hispanics here? Got a question for ya.

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
What is the correct term for you? Hispanic? Mexican? Latino? Chicano? I am confused.

Around here they call them beaners, wetbacks, or esse's (S A). Sometimes they're called Mexicans. Rarely called Hispanic, Latino, or Chicano.

Hows about American?

Has a nice ring to it.

Well, that is all fine and well, but according to my roomie, who is "mexican", she likes the word Hispanic. Then my hubbys best friend, he likes Latino.

Which is why I asked for other opinions besides insulting names like beaners and spics.

After googling, seems like Chicano means mexicans who were born and raised here but the parents are from mexico..or the grandparents.

What is the correct term for you? Hispanic? Mexican? Latino? Chicano? I am confused.

What is the difference between "Hispanic", "Mexican", "Latino", and "Chicano"? | SpanishDict Answers

You sound like someone asking what the difference is between British, English, Irish, or European.

Sounds like you are juding me incorrectly. Stop putting words in my mouth. I am american...but my roots are irish and german. So...since you seem to think I have some ulterior insulting motive, I asked because I want to use the correct term. "Mexicans" are getting a rough time right now....and some are NOT mexicans. They may have "Mexican" names, but they are native american. And asking native americans what they will to be called, they prefer "what nation are you from?" instead of "what tribe".

I was just curious. So take your assumptions and stick them where the sun doesn't shine. Sheesh.

Or cuba. Or puerto rico. Or columbian. Or spanish. Because they are "latinos" or "hispanics" does mean they are from MEXICO.

"Hispanic" mean of or relating to Spain. It's been bastardized in the US to mean anyone from a Spanish-speaking country.

"Latino" refers to people from Latin America.

"Chicano" refers to people of Mexican ancestry who grew up in the US.

"Mexican" refers to people from Mexico.

There is certainly overlap between these terms, but they all do have different definitions. For example, a Brazilian would be Latino, but not Hispanic.

Or cuba. Or puerto rico. Or columbian. Or spanish. Because they are "latinos" or "hispanics" does mean they are from MEXICO.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but Cubans, Puerto Ricans, and Columbians are all both "Latino" and "Hispanic".

People from Spain are "Hispanic", but not "Latino".

I think I will just stick with Hispanic right now. If they feel the need to correct me, then I will keep it in mind for that specific individual. Roomie likes Hispanic. Check. Hubby Best Friend, Latino. Check.

btw...both are from Mexico. One is newly recognized as a citizen. The other was born here. So technically, the roomie should be Chicano...but...she prefers Hispanic. So Hispanic it is.

Forum List

Back